Review Geelong defeats Demons by 80 points at KP - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have the foggiest about the free kick given against Harry towards the end?
Not sure which but towards the end when games turn into blowouts, the umpires favor the team being humiliated coz $. It was obvious that they were favoring the Dees for frees towards the end.

Over rating him ....... Hmmm..... I may have been guilty of that. I did post here about 18 months ago that he will end up as the best rookie we've ever had.

Blicavs is making that call look impossible now.
And Oconnor had me worried last year.

He's certainly not a weak link. I'm surprised considering where he is playing.
You can get exposed down there.

Before we had Blicavs we had Max Rooke and James Podsiadly. Big shoes to fill even excluding Blicavs.

Well that was seriously impressive. The contested work as well as our movement from the contest was as good as I've seen for a long time.

But for me the thing which stood out, was the work rate from the first siren the end. We've seen it sporadically in the past, but last night it was there for the entire game. There were two bits of play which emphasised this much improved facet of our game. There was a contest, I think in the second quarter, where we kicked out of our defensive 50 to a 3-1 in Melbourne's favour. The lone Cat was able to bring it to ground and within seconds there were two teammates to even the numbers. The game is about numbers at the contest, and we've often struggled in this area, but the effort to get to a contest to help a mate, and ultimately create a stoppage was fantastic.

The second example was late in the game. We are 70+ up, but I saw Rhys Stanley, who worked tirelessly all night, chase a Melbourne opponent from the centre circle and almost catch him. It would be easy to just let him go at the stage, but when your ruckman continues to work defensively that late in the game, when the result is a formality, shows the distinct change in mindset and attitude in the entire group.

It's only two rounds, and we know how quickly it can change, but I'm loving this new Geelong right now.

The only thing to do was listen to it on KROCK, and try and get an understanding of what was happening, when the callers actually remembered to commentate, rather than try to be funny.

That's funny because those of us who watched it on the telly had to put up with Luke Darcy calling it like we couldn't see it for ourselves.

I was more talking about Murphy attacking an ex teammate that was clearly struggling mentally
For some reason Bob Murphy is considered a top bloke. His "me me me" antics after the Bulldogs Premiership was pretty selfish if you ask me. So are those comments if true. I see a pattern

Last edited:
Not sure which but towards the end when games turn into blowouts, the umpires favor the team being humiliated coz $. It was obvious that they were favoring the Dees for frees towards the end.
The umpires favoured us massively last night. And i usually think the umps cheat against us but not last night.

I think some of the officating during the first half impact how Stanley went about ruck contests for the rest of the match - during the first half when Stanley would take front position at a ruck contest around the ground the umpire would pay a free kick against him for blocking/shepherding in the ruck contest, but then when Gawn implemented the same technique there was no free paid against him.

I think for Stanley he may have decided it was better to not give away free kicks for random/stupid s**t that no one could understand and instead be an extra midfielder
Well that was a stupid decision given how we were murdered in centre clearances after half time. It is worth a couple of free against to still be competitive in there. Also didnt exactly do well as a midfielder either. He had 14 touches vs Gawns 13.

The umpires favoured us massively last night. And i usually think the umps cheat against us but not last night.
Not true, the umpires were quick at the beginning to pay the Dees and let a couple slide for the Cats in the early stages and then after the Cats broke away from the Dees, the umpires were unbiased but towards the end they started to give the Dees some generous ones. Overall, not complaining but I could sense the umpires were trying to make up for the home ground advantage early. It all about the $ and keeping supporters in their seats and at the ground for longer but I know that there is this lack of integrity with umpiring and we all have to accept it.

Currently watching the JLT cricket final and they were just talking about Clarks goal and how nice it was too to see Hawkins receive the handball before giving the handball back to the youngster to kick his first goal.

Great to see that one little act get mentioned in a non-football setting

Last edited:
Well that was seriously impressive. The contested work as well as our movement from the contest was as good as I've seen for a long time.

But for me the thing which stood out, was the work rate from the first siren the end. We've seen it sporadically in the past, but last night it was there for the entire game. There were two bits of play which emphasised this much improved facet of our game. There was a contest, I think in the second quarter, where we kicked out of our defensive 50 to a 3-1 in Melbourne's favour. The lone Cat was able to bring it to ground and within seconds there were two teammates to even the numbers. The game is about numbers at the contest, and we've often struggled in this area, but the effort to get to a contest to help a mate, and ultimately create a stoppage was fantastic.

The second example was late in the game. We are 70+ up, but I saw Rhys Stanley, who worked tirelessly all night, chase a Melbourne opponent from the centre circle and almost catch him. It would be easy to just let him go at the stage, but when your ruckman continues to work defensively that late in the game, when the result is a formality, shows the distinct change in mindset and attitude in the entire group.

It's only two rounds, and we know how quickly it can change, but I'm loving this new Geelong right now.

Kudos to Stanley, but on the other hand, I watched Menegola (who had the lowest disposal efficiency) lag off the chase on two occasions. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, just shows even more room for improvement. Gazza is not travelling as far afield either, so the new forwards are alleviating less ground under his boots, and still getting occasional Ablett magic. Like you - loving the back up mentality.

I liked that Clark kept running towards the goals, ensuring no Melbs players could spoil. Then Hawkins went to kick the goal + you could see his brain ticking, he stopped + handballed to Clark. Another special 'Moment' for Tomahawk, which will be remembered, long after retirement.
Clark's intercept and run down the wing was brilliant, he has pace. Running into our 50 metre line he started to size up the goals, he's a good kick and I thought he would pot it no problem. Hawkins opponent had to move to at least try and intercept and that opened up a handball over the top and a 100% guaranteed goal, great teamwork by Clark, Hawkins gave it back of course. There are a few of our players, not mentioning any names, who would have blazed away at 40 metres I hope they take note.

Before we had Blicavs we had Max Rooke and James Podsiadly. Big shoes to fill even excluding Blicavs.

We've never replaced JPod adequately look at this revolving door we've tried since him: Vardy (at times a forward) Walker Mitch Brown Kersten Clark at times HT and Hendo now Sav. Fortunately i think Sav will be a better forward than the others were but he's a fair way off the JPod grade yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL website contains three major articles on...Melbourne.
*Disorganised Dees out-hunted, outsmarted, and in danger
*Dees need to get grumpy and get better: Goodwin
*Demons ready to bite in battle of hungry teams

I wonder who they were playing? Obviously some insignificant team, since clearly the Dees lost it, rather than were beaten by a better team. No articles on the winning team, although there is the match review.

Same in today's Herald Scum, and every other post game show. Guess the media like to stick the boots in rather than praise the winner.

The AFL website contains three major articles on...Melbourne.
*Disorganised Dees out-hunted, outsmarted, and in danger
*Dees need to get grumpy and get better: Goodwin
*Demons ready to bite in battle of hungry teams

I wonder who they were playing? Obviously some insignificant team, since clearly the Dees lost it, rather than were beaten by a better team. No articles on the winning team, although there is the match review.

Same in today's Herald Scum, and every other post game show. Guess the media like to stick the boots in rather than praise the winner.

Clark's intercept and run down the wing was brilliant, he has pace. Running into our 50 metre line he started to size up the goals, he's a good kick and I thought he would pot it no problem. Hawkins opponent had to move to at least try and intercept and that opened up a handball over the top and a 100% guaranteed goal, great teamwork by Clark, Hawkins gave it back of course. There are a few of our players, not mentioning any names, who would have blazed away at 40 metres I hope they take note.
Mena-goal-a!!!

Would you be happy commuting to Footscray every day?
Funny you say that. Brings back memories. Grew up as a kid in Geelong and our father would take us to games in Melbourne back in the 60's, 70's.
The Western Oval games were truly depressing in many ways back then for a kid. Was determined to never end up living there. Now, Footscray is a great suburb

Well that was a stupid decision given how we were murdered in centre clearances after half time. It is worth a couple of free against to still be competitive in there. Also didnt exactly do well as a midfielder either. He had 14 touches vs Gawns 13.
Hope you're not counting Gawn's 3 or 4 helicopter punts into no man's land from "clearances" in those figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back