Review Geelong defeats Demons by 80 points at KP - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they'll expect Miers to ever be a tackler like Atkins; he is not and never will be built for it. His job will be to harrass and compete where he can, after acting as a link and goal creator from high HF.
That's exactly why I suspect Fogarty would come in for Atkins before he comes in for Miers.

I'd suspect that Atkins goes out before Miers at this point.
I'm attracted to the idea of playing Atkins regularly as he has a degree of menace about him - something we are lacking - and he can be used as a tagger.

I'm attracted to the idea of playing Atkins regularly as he has a degree of menace about him - something we are lacking - and he can be used as a tagger.

He had his turn to go and he put it all on the line giving up 20kgs when he smacked full on into May
Epitome of the new look Cats which even had Gaz using the shoulder in a huge clash without a second thought
What Atkins , Dahlhaus , Rohan and Miers brings is infectious and becomes the standard by which all are measured - we’re onto a good thing and need to keep it going

For some reason Bob Murphy is considered a top bloke. His "me me me" antics after the Bulldogs Premiership was pretty selfish if you ask me. So are those comments if true. I see a pattern
Bob Murphy was one of the best half-back flankers of the last few decades, he was a great captain and an inspirational leader. His "antics" after the Bulldogs Premiership are typical of all AFL footballers, it wasn't selfish but in support of the club, the fans and his teammates.
Rumour has it that Bevvo had to employ the services of Milton Graham Recoveries to get his medal back... now get back on topic!
Bev giving his coaches medal to Murphy was one of the most touching moments I've seen in footy. What do you do in your spare time? Pull the wings off butterfly's? Steal lollies from children? Have a heart. NOW back on topic.

Bob Murphy was one of the best half-back flankers of the last few decades, he was a great captain and an inspirational leader. His "antics" after the Bulldogs Premiership are typical of all AFL footballers, it wasn't selfish but in support of the club, the fans and his teammates.
Bev giving his coaches medal to Murphy was one of the most touching moments I've seen in footy. What do you do in your spare time? Pull the wings off butterfly's? Steal lollies from children? Have a heart. NOW back on topic.
Woah lets not got nuts. One of the best half back flankers of recent decades? Um no.

Enright, hodge, mcleod, goodwin and mckenna would be the top 5 of the past couple of decades. Perhaps goddard next. Murphy aint at that level.

The Pressure Point scores illustrate the reasons for the inclusion of Dahlhaus and Atkins and how effective they've been - so far.
Expected score also tells a story - we were clearly the better team but the margin was as good as it could have been under the circumstances. We're not kicking 20.6 every week and next time a team gets a sustained run of I50s and shots on goal against us they might convert some of them.

(MAY)Another typical coward, can dish it out, can't hack it when it's served back :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did anyone else see that moment when Atkins smashed into him at full throttle? both with heads over the ball. May is a lump of meat compared to Atkins but I didn't see may put his head over it again for the rest of the match. Atkins, got up and kept pressuring.

Woah lets not got nuts. One of the best half back flankers of recent decades? Um no.

Enright, hodge, mcleod, goodwin and mckenna would be the top 5 of the past couple of decades. Perhaps goddard next. Murphy aint at that level.
More broadly I agree with your point, but I should point out I would prefer Bob Murphy in my team over Brendan Goddard every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

Well, when Fogarty is ready for selection, 23 into 22 doesn't go. Whether it's Fogarty or one of the selected side, someone has to miss out, no matter how good.
You work on the assumption hes an automatic recall.....LOLOLOLOL Not even close
He comes back through the VFL if we have a full list available.

You work on the assumption hes an automatic recall.....LOLOLOLOL Not even close
He comes back through the VFL if we have a full list available.
Don't mind Fogarty, but you are right ...you don't just drop players who are excelling at their roles.
It's more likely he will come in if someone gets injured, or part of a planned rotation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind Fogarty, but you are right ...you don't just drop players who are excelling at their roles.
It's more likely he will come in if someone gets injured, or part of a planned rotation
Some posters still have a little way to go it seems. It blows my mind, that after 2 fanatstic wins, people around here want changes to the team. This IS the best 22 at the club CURRENTLY. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Expected score also tells a story - we were clearly the better team but the margin was as good as it could have been under the circumstances. We're not kicking 20.6 every week and next time a team gets a sustained run of I50s and shots on goal against us they might convert some of them.

Argh, the cool light of Monday. It must come in handy being so level headed. Crows and Eddy waiting to burst the bubble.

What was the expected score if you don't mind me asking?

A few late thoughts..

HT is back and firing well. Really well. He's a really good one on one defender and now that the team defense is a little less prevalent he's tracking really well IMO.
Kolo had a pearler and whilst he's had some poor moments his year so far has been good overall. I hope it keeps going.

Sel, PFD, Yabbblettt, Hawkins, Duncan and TK are in fire. They are playing hard footy and much of it is team based... only bodes well going forward.

Parfitt, Chook, Atkins, Miers, Dahl, MOC, Henry, Clark, Rohan et al are all playing inspired footy for new Cats. Parfitt in the MF is a delight to see and will onlt get batter. Chook has stepped up from VFL like its nothing and has vision and hands the likes not oft seen. Atkins is a missile and knows he's playing for his life every week and it shows. Long may that continue and ill take a few daown games as long as the effort is still there. Dahl and Rohan both love bing home and shows.

This is all working. Even Stanley looks to have bought in. He's putting the rig in the middle of the contests.

And the territory battle is noticeable. The number of taps to advantage, blocks on opposition for their team mates, and effective 1% ers that the team is completing is clear and obvious.

Luv what I see and long may it continue.

And yes even CS needs a pat on the back. There is a visible change in his player to coach relations and it looks better

GO Catters

Atkins going in hard and Miers/Clark's goals are my favourite bits from the game
Absolutely agree.

Clark had some farrrking awesome moments in the game. Miers through traffic - looked like time had stood still.

Also. Charlie. *******. Constable.

Looks like he'll be playing his 250th next week!

A few late thoughts..

HT is back and firing well. Really well. He's a really good one on one defender and now that the team defense is a little less prevalent he's tracking really well IMO.
Kolo had a pearler and whilst he's had some poor moments his year so far has been good overall. I hope it keeps going.

Sel, PFD, Yabbblettt, Hawkins, Duncan and TK are in fire. They are playing hard footy and much of it is team based... only bodes well going forward.

Parfitt, Chook, Atkins, Miers, Dahl, MOC, Henry, Clark, Rohan et al are all playing inspired footy for new Cats. Parfitt in the MF is a delight to see and will onlt get batter. Chook has stepped up from VFL like its nothing and has vision and hands the likes not oft seen. Atkins is a missile and knows he's playing for his life every week and it shows. Long may that continue and ill take a few daown games as long as the effort is still there. Dahl and Rohan both love bing home and shows.

This is all working. Even Stanley looks to have bought in. He's putting the rig in the middle of the contests.

And the territory battle is noticeable. The number of taps to advantage, blocks on opposition for their team mates, and effective 1% ers that the team is completing is clear and obvious.

Luv what I see and long may it continue.

And yes even CS needs a pat on the back. There is a visible change in his player to coach relations and it looks better

GO Catters

What you said about 1%ers! ...Never seen so many.
That's what will bring the Crows down.

Quite thrilled at the result, although i only saw the game in fits and starts since i was at a function on Sat night. The fact that now when the ball is in the forward line it takes a bit of effort for the opposing side to get it out again makes a hell of a change to what we've had in the previous few seasons.

Geelong has always looked sort of overly tall and somewhat slower particularly on the larger grounds, and while we have only a small sample size, even the JLT game against the Bombers showed an ability to keep the fleet-footed Bombers in check compared to how they had exploded away from us early in the last few games, a JLT game last year included. The Pies win looks even better with their demolition of the Tigers, a very valuable four points in the bag against a side that looks like being very strong.

I am enjoying the joy the players are showing when they kick a goal, it's great to see and it does look like there's a new spirit at the club. Younger players who have replaced the perhaps middling talents of blokes who are now departed, and the likes of Miers and Atkins in particular add a desperation and enthusiasm that is just great to see. Rohan and Dahlhaus too have fitted in magnificently and suddenly having the tall Hawk and Esava in the forward line looks much more complimentary with a group of fleet-footed smalls offering the pressure that our mix in previous years have struggled to sustain. Gary had an off night on the scoreboard, amazingly contributing half our behind tally, but again with younger blokes putting extra pressure on, his strengths can be played to more when Gary's age and lesser abilities to pressure the other way as much are offset by others.

I didn't probably notice as much the observations of others, like Goggin our Best and Seeds about being well beaten in midfield clearances, that's always a danger if the other side gets clean possessions and maybe a mark at 50 or so from their forwards. But Stanley does compete hard, and until the much taller Zac Smith presses for his spot back, or Abbott/Fort do the same the side is still doing well to this point. A Grundy/Gawn start is a pretty massive opening assignment...there'll be less accomplished rucks to come for him to face.

Just an aside, i was perusing the Kangaroos board, and they had a stat of players who have had games in the 0-49, 50-99, 100-149 and 150+ categories, ours stack up quite differently to theirs and makes Geelong's trajectory look quite promising.

..................North...............................................Geelong

0-49..............6.....................................................10

50-99............2......................................................2

100-149.........8......................................................3

150+.............6......................................................7

12 players with less than 100 games, Geelong with 10 less than 50....and including Esava who played his 10th game...Geelong had SIX players with 10 or less games! That HAS to be as exciting as anything to be honest. This long term fan is very enthused by the early signs this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back