Review Geelong defeats Dons by 66 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenkins has barely played ruck in his whole career. His highest amount of hitouts in a game is 13 (Hawkins highest is 14 for reference). Cant really judge whether he is suitable for the team based on him rucking. If stanley is fit, he is either in as a forward or he doesn't play
Also a guy coming in after a chronic back injury is hardly likely to leap over everyone. Jenkins looked like he didn’t want to jump at all in that game.

ROUND 16 VOTES
10 Sam Menegola (GEEL)
8 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
5 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
3 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
2 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 Jed Bews (GEEL)
Happy to see Miers & Bews getting acknowledgment for their games

Noticed he is getting a lot of handball blocks/intercepts in close with that big wingspan. Do they get into stats?
Not for us they don't but i bet the coaches have stats that include that and pressure acts etc that we don't even get to see.

As others have stated in this thread and many others stats only tell part of the story and since we only get a partial amount of the stats coaches get it makes it even more important to use our eyes to gauge performance combined with the stats not just on or the other.

Bumping old posts suggesting Menegola should be traded is the kind of thing I would have frowned upon as a mod.

These days... not so much.

Don't worry...I'd frown upon it....part of your legacy.

Interesting that Tiger posters are free to wish injury on opposition players...wouldn't be accepted here, not that our posters would lower themselves to Tiger posters level...

Our structure this year is Hawkins + Rowan + 4 small forwards with midfielders pushing forward. Danger rotates with Rowan when he rests forward and Stanley rests forward for Hawk when he goes off. That's our structure. One tall, one medium (who plays big when it comes in and small when it hits the deck), four smalls. So for Sav to play in that structure, he has to play the Stanley/Blicavs role.

It's not his fault, I agree he is much better as a forward than as a Ruck but that's not the structure this year which has delivered multiple 60 points victories against good sides. So for now, he has to bide his time. It will come.

Jenkins came in for stanley. That's why he came in. Like sav, there isn't room in our structure for a 2nd "tall". So yes, he was a terrible ruck and yes it was predictable, but we needed to see what he could bring in case Stanley misses a final, and now we know what we will get. The coaches will now know out of Sav and Jenkins who they prefer to bring in IF they need to. Neither will play unless they NEED to. They are not best 22/25 in our current structure, no fault of their own.

See above. He's not best 22/25 because we play 1 ruck (Stanley), 1 "big forward" (Hawkins), 1 "utility" (Blicavs) and 2 "big defenders" (Taylor and Henderson). Those are our talls, and Jenkins/Sav will only come in if one of those misses due to injury, as was the case last week. Our structure can't handle all 7, or even 6.
Get rid of the utility. utility isnt a position. Its just an excuse to play to many tall defenders in the team who dont have a position to play. Ps. kolo and henry are also tall defenders.

Get rid of the utility. utility isnt a position. Its just an excuse to play to many tall defenders in the team who dont have a position to play. Ps. kolo and henry are also tall defenders.
If you don't think Blics is a utility well you are just wrong and as for having to many tall defenders that is an opinion and seems to be wrong considering we have one of the best if not the best defence in the AFL

If you don't think Blics is a utility well you are just wrong and as for having to many tall defenders that is an opinion and seems to be wrong considering we have one of the best if not the best defence in the AFL
You can say a player is a utility but you cant claim a utility is a position on the field. Its very definition tells you this. Do you get that?

Its the marks and goals and hitouts that matter. He was hopeless in all 3. Can anyone even come up with one example where he even looked close to getting near an overhead mark. I was at the game. He barely got near a contest. Spent way to much time sititng behind the play on the wing.

i was looking forward to seeing him play. But he offered nothing in the areas we need him to. Sav still takes pack marks every week.

ps. 200 metres gain just means that when he does get the ball he boots its long and foward. He needs to be the one on the end of those long kicks. Not thecone kicking it after recieving a side ways chip kick whilst all the opposition flood into defence.
Of course they do, in a game we put on ice ten minutes in. 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Utility has been around as a player description since I was a lad😜
Generally accepted that it describes a player who is versatile in that they can play a number of roles for the team.
Goodes and Blitz are perfect descriptions of the term👍

It was great to see Jenkins get a run albeit not in his best position - he's more a forward/relief ruck than a #1 ruck ( obviously)
Yet again we took the opponents game away from them just as we did V Bulldogs for the last 3 quarters.
Sure Draper rucked better than Jenkins ( particularly centre bounces) but we didn't let that turn into an advantage to them.

I wonder what we will do against the Tiges - top 4 is now a certainty so do we rest Stanley again?
Ideally I'd like to see us play Jenkins as CHF , Stanley ruck and Blitz in his Mr Fixit role. That could leave us a bit top heavy with Hendo and Taylor playing as well but I'd like to test that combination as it allows Blitz to go into defence if opposition talls get hold of us.

I still think Tiges and Eagles are the threats and they both have quality tall forwards so a plan B is essential if they get on top of our defence.
I don't think Blitz goes back to defence permanently so with him as a wing/back up ruck we either play Sav/Jenkins as a second tall forward or play another mid size runner. Maybe our structure is flexible depending on who we play?
Interesting times :think:

cats_09 - apologies , didn't see your post and you have explained it a lot better than moi !
I would be happy to give Stanley another week for his adductor, no need to risk. Soldo, Nank and Chol aren't a threat. We could really stretch their backline with two kpf's, though.

He was such an amazing utility yesterday he had a grand total of 7 touches and 1 single mark playing mostly through the centre half of the ground in ruck/wing. Was beaten in the hitouts again yesterday by a nobody.

if sav played like that yesterday we would all be calling for him to be dropped.

but hey lets not let things like facts get in the way of a good story. 2 pretty solid pieces of play (and i agree they were good) means we can ignore the rest of the game where he was virtually non existant.
Lol

Seemed Fogarty was used extensively in the mid field. Noticed him in the centre square more than any other mid. Bit to slight for my liking for that role at present.
He is a silky mover. Seems to read the congestion pretty well and hasn't looked too out of place. Without a decent VFL comp, I wouldn't be surprised if Knights took the opportunity to give him some experience last week. Although I am not sure they were much greater opposition than a 16 man gold coast reserves team.

Love the fact that some players just lift when placed in the senior team. Jack Henry was one, as was Tom Stewart.

I wonder how may rookie's and draftees would actually be bloody good in an AFL side, but never got a chance due to opportunity.
Every town has one. Grew up with Brad Seymour, and he was a genuine prospect in juniors. But another bloke at school, equal if not better, just never had the drive to go anywhere. Farm boy.

Stories like Menegola, Taylor, Kelly have a common theme. WA recruitment is clearly not as effective at recognising rough diamonds.

Also a guy coming in after a chronic back injury is hardly likely to leap over everyone. Jenkins looked like he didn’t want to jump at all in that game.
Just watched the first half again. I don't agree with this. I thought he moved quite well.

Watching with the comfort of knowing the result, I must say they were damn good. Watching the game live, for me all the bad things are magnified. I'm pretty confident going forward.

Just watched the first half again. I don't agree with this. I thought he moved quite well.

Watching with the comfort of knowing the result, I must say they were damn good. Watching the game live, for me all the bad things are magnified. I'm pretty confident going forward.
I have mentioned previous post that he moved well. Just didn’t see him jumping too high in the ruck. Hawkins was the same immediately after his back issues. Rarely got off the ground. Still moved ok..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back