Review Geelong defeats Essendon by 32 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Im still kicking myself over this season so far 6-1 with a percentage of 140 plus jus wow! As much as I believed we could do what we have I didn’t think it would be this good.
Our structure our pressure our grit and determination has impressed me to the point where I just can’t wait to watch this team play again! and it doesn’t matter who plays everyone on the list knows and plays their part.
It’s like 2007 all over again! lol

Not sure if this can continue but so far this team is making me feel so excited.

Oh and little Gaz is just a joy (agin) to watch the man is some sort of super human what he can do.

Ummm, have you forgotten about Blicavs?
Good problem to have - really hard to separate how good Kolo, Stewart, Blicavs, O'Connor & even Taylor have been this year. Really working well together & complementing each other

This is pretty impressive stat from today:

If you want to play for the Cats, you need to bring the heat.
Selwood’s absence gave Brandan Parfitt his opportunity and he compiled 70 pressure points. If that was his average, it would make him the No.1 pressure player in the league.
Cam Guthrie, another recent inclusion after having to earn his spot in the VFL, had 72.
The five best pressure players were Guthrie, Parfitt, Tom Atkins (59), Tim Kelly (53) and Gryan Miers (45), two of them being first-year players and Kelly a second-year player.
No surprise the Cats are the hottest team in the comp.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...7/news-story/3490ce6120abc371a1e4c27ecaddee3b

Awesome data. Yet the coaches (CS) were not happy about their work at stoppages. They'd know, but for me, have cake and eat it too?

I love the way we're playing.

Haven't played with this much consistancy since probably 2013 and haven't had such an even spread of contributions since 07' - 09'.

Still need to fix up some areas like stoppages, especially close to the opposition's goal but the pressure all over the ground is fantastic!

Really excited by this team and good on the coaches for changing obvious deficiencies over the preseason:thumbsu:

Daniher knee him in the head in a ball up contest

Looked concussed on tv
I was surprise at the time no free was awarded to sav. Daniher looked like he was going for a speccy mark, not the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6-1 is a great start that I didn’t see coming. Atkins & Miers work so hard, so it’s great they’re getting the recognition. O’Connor doesn’t look out of place anymore and cats doing well with role specific ethos. Cats have been 6-1 5 times under Scott, so we know how to win early games to set up the year. No mental lapses against the perceived weaker opponents - that’s another test we have succumbed to in past years. Go cats!

Would rather an extra small defender then Henry. I dont think he should be in the best 22. Kolo and Stewart own those medium defender roles (you dont need 3 medium defenders) and Rohan for now has taken his medium forward spot.
Henry is, IMO, fast enough and agile enough to play small.

Put it this way: the best small defender that this club has seen in the televised era, Boris, was 187cm tall. Henry - playing 20 years later - is 191. I think we get a bit blind to it, but as the average height for each generation increases, so the 190 barrier no longer means "tall" (in footy terms).

The eveness of the team is great - bottom 6 now a strength rather than liability - only Sav is struggling for consistency (and last week showed his potential).
Cuthrie - clearly in bests today. IMO his assets - speed from the pack and ability to contest - have been significantly underrated.
Atkins - has exceptional agility and strength in contests, able to evade or break tackles (has he been caught HTB once this season? opposition are needing 2 or 3 players to close him down which frees up space), great closing speed and tackling and a nice low trajectory on his passing/field kicking. Perhaps as a forward needs to score more but otherwise very good impact.
- Meirs - huge. Arguably top 10 already not bottom 6.
- Henry - as others have said, is a complete package of skills and athleticism and can play on smalls.
- Zuthrie - not really part of our starting 22 and bottom 6 (really the sub for 2E) but except for some weak tackling attempts performed not bad against VG opposition attack in a big game.
Not sure who else you label bottom 6, MOC, Rohan really not. Perhaps Clark still feeling his way after a massive start to the season.
Dear I say - the eveness of talent that you need to win GFs. (Oops)

Last edited:
Best win of the year, pies a close 2nd but this was more comprehensive and down our 2 big guns.
Our other wins have been soft kills funnily enough. Dees, hawks, eagles were all horrid and the crows weren’t travelling that well but still a decent enough win.

Now at 6-1 I’m expecting top 4, probably top 2.
The lid isn’t off as I always expected finals, I just sit and wait patiently to see what we dish up in September, it could go pear shaped but we give ourselves a chance. Ill enjoy the ride.
Miers, Ablett I cant get enough of.

Btw dont be surprised to see a Down game soon. I don’t know if that’ll equate to a loss BUT we always ALWAYS have a shocker mid May. Supposedly it’s the heavy training load. Just like the game after the bye we produce a shocker at this time of year.

Last couple of years it was Essendon, Collingwood a couple of times, Suns, swans anyone.

Look back on our seasons and you see losses in mid May at a consistent rate. Even 2008 it was mid May we lost our only game. However it’s more under the Scott era.
It stands out to me coz it’s my mates birthday this time of the year and he is let down every time.
In the long run it won’t mean much but pay particular attention to the dogs game. Could come a week either side (holiday to GC perhaps) but yeah expect a shocker soon.

Not really. There's a difference between making a GF or narrowly losing a PF and getting smashed in nearly every final you play. It is not new ground for Geelong under Scott to look good in the H&A season and then fall in a bundle come September. 4 top 4 finishes since 2011 for 0 GF appearances.
The history revisionists at work;
*Trotsky had nothing to do with the revolution (Stalin)
*Hitler was not responsible for the Jewish Holocaust (Nazi apologists)
*AFL season 2011 never happened (Biggy)

Best win of the year, pies a close 2nd but this was more comprehensive and down our 2 big guns.
Our other wins have been soft kills funnily enough. Dees, hawks, eagles were all horrid and the crows weren’t travelling that well but still a decent enough win.

Now at 6-1 I’m expecting top 4, probably top 2.
The lid isn’t off as I always expected finals, I just sit and wait patiently to see what we dish up in September, it could go pear shaped but we give ourselves a chance. Ill enjoy the ride.
Miers, Ablett I cant get enough of.

Btw dont be surprised to see a Down game soon. I don’t know if that’ll equate to a loss BUT we always ALWAYS have a shocker mid May. Supposedly it’s the heavy training load. Just like the game after the bye we produce a shocker at this time of year.

Last couple of years it was Essendon, Collingwood a couple of times, Suns, swans anyone.

Look back on our seasons and you see losses in mid May at a consistent rate. Even 2008 it was mid May we lost our only game. However it’s more under the Scott era.
It stands out to me coz it’s my mates birthday this time of the year and he is let down every time.
In the long run it won’t mean much but pay particular attention to the dogs game. Could come a week either side (holiday to GC perhaps) but yeah expect a shocker soon.
From the list of upcoming games in May I'd say we might drop the Dogs game at KP.

I also thought it was a fantastic game by Menegola, he is playing a different game this year.
Henry has gotten back into it the last 2 rounds, absolutely best 22, adds so much to that back 6 and we know he can pinch hit forward if he needs.
People forget, he runs hard up and down the field to support the forward line and the back line. He’s one of the best repeat medium distance runners in the team. He’s great overhead, tackles hard, is calm under pressure and is often in the right position at the right time. He is sometime let down by his kicking - but that happens when you’ve run up and down the field several times in the play.

One little factoid out of today: distance covered.

T. Kelly - 15.0km
G. Miers - 15.0
M. Blicavs - 14.2
Kolo - 14.1
Connor McKenna - 13.4

(Note: I wouldn't read too much into the domination of that top 5 stat by Cats, as we couldn't rotate out midfielders as much due to Danger and SavRat).
With Selwood out, TK really stepped up in leadership. You could see that he took control and led through example. Selwood-like.

Agree it will come down to the impact , low, no worries, medium one week. The problem is the force looks worse when you leave the ground before connecting. And thanks for pointing out my bleedingly obvious mistake:).

I was more reflecting on the clowns in the media who will use the tautology of 'leaving the ground with both feet' to try to paint some deep malice into Gaz's action so that he can be suspended.

There wasn't much in the incident at all, and I truly hope Christian is sensible enough to avoid any such hysteria and simply judge it in context and purely on the basis of the available evidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back