Review Geelong defeats Essendon by 32 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was Kolo?
I feel he has finally graduated to a truly solid first-choice defender.

The day he finally gets that goal will be brilliant for the team. Maybe he kicks a clutch goal in a final :-D
Damn Stewart had no sense of theatre at the end there

GEELONG v ESSENDON
9 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
6 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
6 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
5 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
1 Jake Stringer (ESS)
1 Tom Atkins (GEEL)

LEADERBOARD
43 Marcus Bontempelli
38 Patrick Cripps
35 Tim Kelly
34 Lachlan Neale
32 Scott Pendlebury
29 Jeremy Cameron
29 Patrick Dangerfield
28 Gary Ablett

28 Stephen Coniglio
27 Travis Boak

3 players in the top 10. Gotta love that. :thumbsu:

Said it in the gameday thread but Miers2Atkins is a real thing. Felt like over half their disposals came from each other. If they keep this up no reason they both don't play every game this season.
Atkins sidesteps and turns had him dancing out of trouble this week, rather than into it. Super impressive. I see him as Joel Selwood lite

I can easily imagine the tribunal will keep the 1 week but I guarantee that Christensen will provide a contradictory decision within a week or two, just like for every other ‘crack down’ that key Geelong players endure each season - that is the thing that really p*sses me off.

He already has given a contradictory decision:

Eric Hipwood (Fine)

Watson was riding Stewart pretty hard in the commentary. I would have given it to Kelly. Giving the last one off to Duncan probably cost him.
Agree. Kelly extremely stiff.

Congratulations on a terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match. If you're new to one of these posts, this is an overall summary of how often your players were used as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) for centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

C.Guthrie 19
Duncan 19 (15w, 4i)
Kelly 19
Clark 17 wing
Menegola 15 (10w, 5i)
Parfitt 14 (9i, 5w)
Atkins 8
Dangerfield (inj) 6 (1w)
Ablett 2
Dahlhaus 1 wing

Rucks:

Stanley 21
Ratugolea 3

1st Half - 13

C.Guthrie 11
Duncan 11 (8w, 3i)
Kelly 11
Clark 9 wing
Menegola 8 (6w, 2i)
Parfitt 7 (4i, 3w)
Dangerfield 6 (1w)
Atkins 2

Stanley 12
Ratugolea 1

2nd Half - 11

C.Guthrie 8
Duncan 8 (7w, 1i)
Kelly 8
Clark 8 wing
Menegola 7 (4w, 3i)
Parfitt 7 (5i, 2w)
Atkins 6
Ablett 2
Dahlhaus 1 wing

Stanley 9
Ratugolea 2

Notes:

- First of the 5 analysed games this season that Clark has had more than 2 appearances.

Congratulations on a terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match. If you're new to one of these posts, this is an overall summary of how often your players were used as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) for centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

C.Guthrie 19
Duncan 19 (15w, 4i)
Kelly 19
Clark 17 wing
Menegola 15 (10w, 5i)
Parfitt 14 (9i, 5w)
Atkins 8
Dangerfield (inj) 6 (1w)
Ablett 2
Dahlhaus 1 wing

Rucks:

Stanley 21
Ratugolea 3

1st Half - 13

C.Guthrie 11
Duncan 11 (8w, 3i)
Kelly 11
Clark 9 wing
Menegola 8 (6w, 2i)
Parfitt 7 (4i, 3w)
Dangerfield 6 (1w)
Atkins 2

Stanley 12
Ratugolea 1

2nd Half - 11

C.Guthrie 8
Duncan 8 (7w, 1i)
Kelly 8
Clark 8 wing
Menegola 7 (4w, 3i)
Parfitt 7 (5i, 2w)
Atkins 6
Ablett 2
Dahlhaus 1 wing

Stanley 9
Ratugolea 2

Notes:

- First of the 5 analysed games this season that Clark has had more than 2 appearances.
Legendary effort. Thanks Billy!

Don't know whether it's been said, but we're now 3/3 at the G, and had no trouble nullifying a side who had caused us issues with their speed in the past. Another sign the new game style is holding up on the bigger ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was Kolo?
I feel he has finally graduated to a truly solid first-choice defender.

The day he finally gets that goal will be brilliant for the team. Maybe he kicks a clutch goal in a final :-D
I thought stringer beat him on the day but gee he's had a great year. Locked in best 22 now.

I wouldn't have thought so. The evidence of past years (and Cuth's very own thread on here) suggest that, at the very least, the mean-spirited and puerile attacks on elements as unimportant as his hairstyle and his choice of favourite opposition player will continue unabated.

Alongside unprecedented and entirely myopic focus on his shortcomings in any given game, compared to every single other player representing the hoops.

As the Green Goblin would remind us...'pathetically predictable'.

I suspect he keeps playing like he is and all the crap will dissipate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good to see Jordan and Danger have a sense of humour about "that" handball
a0068243ea510da9668ef42d9194bb34.jpg

What selective facts am I using this time?

Scott has won one flag but failed to make another GF despite 4 top 4 finishes since. Longmire has also won a flag but made two additional GFs. Simpson has won a flag as coach and was also able to get his team to another GF. Those coaches have been able to get their sides competitive in finals on more than one occasion; Scott has not, though he has had more chances to do so than either of them.
Selective fact - if that was Scott you’d accuse him of bottling two grannies..

Just wanted to say thought umpiring was excellent especially from Eleni who was the pick of the bunch. Now that I’ve watched the game very impressed with how well she explained decisions. No one was annoyed except stringer but he’s got a v.short fuse.

Razor was the worst of a good bunch. Never would have thought I’d say that about Nicholls.

I was surprise at the time no free was awarded to sav. Daniher looked like he was going for a speccy mark, not the ruck.

High-leaping Bomber rucks have form....remember in the early 90's when Simon Madden actually kneed Sydney's Gareth John in the throat, severely damaging his larynx i think, i'm not sure John played much footy at all after that. Daniher's knee rose to a stupendous height to konk Esava in the head. Simply put though, surely that's too high (head hit) so Geelong should have got a free.

High-leaping Bomber rucks have form....remember in the early 90's when Simon Madden actually kneed Sydney's Gareth John in the throat, severely damaging his larynx i think, i'm not sure John played much footy at all after that. Daniher's knee rose to a stupendous height to konk Esava in the head. Simply put though, surely that's too high (head hit) so Geelong should have got a free.
Apparently you can kick (or knee) a player in the head with impugnity.
Graze someone's neck gently with your forearm and it's an instant report.

I am loving this.

I have to say. I put my hand up before round 1 and said I would not be surprised if we were 0-7 at this point. I have/had very low expectations of the team heading into the season, so I certainly am not getting ahead of myself about where this might go. But geez its great the to see the footy we're playing at the moment, and so much fun to watch, especially since I had the bar set too low to begin with.

I am seriously confused by anyone who at this point isn't just sitting back and enjoying being a cats fan.

I thought it was about 50/50 from watching replay.

Kolo had his measure at least in the mind games. Watch the play where Stringer takes a mark on Kolo and carries on as if the siren has gone on a premiership win over us. Then Stringer kicks it out on the full/ for a point. Kolo just looks at him and walks off. Great moment of maturity for Kolo

Kolo had his measure at least in the mind games. Watch the play where Stringer takes a mark on Kolo and carries on as if the siren has gone on a premiership win over us. Then Stringer kicks it out on the full/ for a point. Kolo just looks at him and walks off. Great moment of maturity for Kolo
I was hoping he was going to stick it to that tosser. I hope he at least said nice kick dh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back