Review Geelong defeats GCS by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

So does henry get a free ride again this week after being incredibly ordinary again?

He aint even taking the across the pack marks anymore.
You do realise he’s playing a different role this year. Hint: how many goals did his opponent kick?

So does henry get a free ride again this week after being incredibly ordinary again?

He aint even taking the across the pack marks anymore.
The first thing you noticed at the ground last night was even after the 666 ball up the Cats stuck with the one on one set up in the main,I can only remember the +1 being used at the end I was seated once late in the second quarter.I reckon they were trying a few things last night.

Selwood didn't miss a game last year, oh he has missed two games this year, that makes his injury history significant! Danger missed one game last year and one game this year, again, hardly a history of injuries. At the moment Scott has been bringing in younger players to rotate through the midfield giving them more experience, making us less predictable and avoiding the reliance on the same champions. Selwood has played significant time on the wing and Danger up forward. Duncan has stepped up this year and many consider him now in the elite class. We do not know if we will lose Kelly next year, your conclusion that we will be down 3 elite midfielders is pessimism on steroids.
I'm also not saying he had a history of injury. I'm saying if he can't continue to play as an in and under mid and expect to be playing full seasons without injury. He is 31.

Dangerfield played as a forward for about 50% of last year and within 7 rounds he was back having to be there again.

When i say we'd be down 3 elite ball winners consider that if Kelly had been traded pay year that's exactly where we'd have been in two of the last three rounds.

Ditto Rohan, in both cases because we tended to go straight down the guts in the direction of Hawkins more than we usually do with our I50s.

Yep agree. After the game Kelly mentioned they wanted to go long to Hawk a fair bit and as quickly as possible.

It was a matchup issue, clearly Hawk was pushing his opponent easily aside, just had to get it down there. This perhaps didn't give much opportunity to others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought it would take a loss for people to turn on each other But no only Parsons getting a game did that lol

And he played well! If he gets a form downturn this board will resort to cannibalism in a heartbeat.

I'm also not saying he had a history of injury. I'm saying if he can't continue to play as an in and under mid and expect to be playing full seasons without injury. He is 31.

Dangerfield played as a forward for about 50% of last year and within 7 rounds he was back having to be there again.

When i say we'd be down 3 elite ball winners consider that if Kelly had been traded pay year that's exactly where we'd have been in two of the last three rounds.
This is what you said, "...to say we're going to get a full season of high midfield minutes out of either of them is ignoring their age and injury history." which to me is an indicating that they have a history of injury, hence I responded to that.

So hypothetically if Kelly had been lost last year, and if Scott played Selwood a few times on the wing and Danger forward like he has done this year we would be down 3 elite mid-fielders!!! But we are not. Short of a major injury nor will we be down 3 elite mid-fielders next year. Danger and Sel may play in other positions as they have done this year. We have been playing Constable, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola, Atkins and even Parsons in the mid to make us more unpredictable and prepare for the future, it has been valuable. As I said, I think your synopsis is quite pessimistic.

Playing 200 games won't be a challenge if he keeps getting them gifted. And no I'm not wrong on this kid. Anyone can be a hangout
Tell us, was he being a hang out when ran back with the flight of the ball and flew for a mark which he very nearly took? Your views on a kid in his first year aren't even worth debating, they're laughable...so silly...or sad, I can't work out which it is.

I hope you still barrack your arse for him when he has the hoops on coz I'm guessing you don't as you'd rather get on here say you were correct.

Tell us, was he being a hang out when ran back with the flight of the ball and flew for a mark which he very nearly took? Your views on a kid in his first year aren't even worth debating, they're laughable...so silly...or sad, I can't work out which it is.

I hope you still barrack your arse for him when he has the hoops on coz I'm guessing you don't as you'd rather get on here say you were correct.
Yawn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't that to 2MP, he kicked it out of Duncan's hands? Or close enough to it?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's right,big Peter,GCS 3rd goal for the night,Sexton kicked their next after a fumble by Duncan but that was outside 50 and kicked inside 50 to Sexton.

This is what you said, "...to say we're going to get a full season of high midfield minutes out of either of them is ignoring their age and injury history." which to me is an indicating that they have a history of injury, hence I responded to that.

So hypothetically if Kelly had been lost last year, and if Scott played Selwood a few times on the wing and Danger forward like he has done this year we would be down 3 elite mid-fielders!!! But we are not. Short of a major injury nor will we be down 3 elite mid-fielders next year. Danger and Sel may play in other positions as they have done this year. We have been playing Constable, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola, Atkins and even Parsons in the mid to make us more unpredictable and prepare for the future, it has been valuable. As I said, I think your synopsis is quite pessimistic.
Age of Selwood, injury history of Dangerfield. Danger played injured pretty well most of last year iirc and has been doing that again for the last 3 weeks.

And yes it's pessimistic. I'm simply trying to point out the biggest risk to the plan for success in the future. Talk of chasing kpfs if Kelly leaves just seems to be throwing all your resources at the second biggest and least solvable problem.

Last edited:

That was late in the game as well and only minutes after he'd ran half the length of the ground and back again.Great work ethic.

Observations whilst watching the game:

Ablett was furious about Swallow knocking his legs from under him. After Atkins’ goal, had some stern words with the umpire. Was incredulous when the umpire ignored him, walked away without even a glance at Gaz.

Parfitt needs to develop awareness of team mates are around him. I50, Atkins, under pressure handballed to Parfitt, who attempted to handball to Dahlhaus, over a Suns’ player, who tapped it. Ablett was behind Parfitt + free from congestion - might have kicked a goal. Parfitt tacked the Suns’ player + a ball up followed.

Hawkins’ strength is phenomenal! Made Sun’s players look like rag dolls, when tackling them + Hombsch like a matchstick when he took Marks.

195CB1B2-C180-4B20-ABA9-D54C88C9AE30.jpeg

Crowd booed Hawkins, as well as Gaz. Why boo Tomahawk? 🙄

My boy Miers had a fairly quiet night, yet his work rate is terrific. Whether as a run with, gathering the ball at ground level, handballing, under pressure + in contests - just gives it all. I reckon he’s relishing AFL footy.

Speedy Rohan was a tackling beast!

When Selwood was pinged in Q3 for incorrect disposal, Martin tackled him high, pulled Selwood’s left arm, forcing him to release the ball. Even Roos said the ball was forced out. When Martin stood up, chased after Selwood + shoved him! Then kicked the goal.

D9019C37-FFF1-49B8-BE03-73FE4021BC27.jpeg

EABF50F3-13AF-4B8B-A0D1-2A79C191F251.jpeg

Knights picking his nose in the coaches’ box 🤢🤢🤮

A few hot potato handballs crept into our game.

Q4 at 13:11 Kelly had 9 touches in 15 minutes of play.

While unexpected (by me) it was a good game to give the Kittens an opportunity to play in the Centre. That gave them the chance to gain experience, to develop + to learn.

Miles in a contest with (Matchstick) Clark, flopped like a bad batch of choux pastry 🙄 Immediately followed by a super kick from Stewart, Marked by Kitten, Clark 💙

Followed by Geelong fluffing the ball around freely, until players were in position. It was evident that Suns’ players were exhausted - six minutes remained. Then goal to the amazing Duncan 💙💙💙💙💙

Wondering, when is Stewie’s due date? Looks like a girl, as he’s carrying low.
3612E003-8972-4903-8F5D-C210D8EA6D4A.jpeg

E&OE (<—- something like that)

ie that Selwood HTB illustrates what I don't get and what I hate most about the game. Why is that HTB (why call it by that rule?) and not out in the tackle? Not to mention the smack to the head. How many umpires again? I bet whichever called had a perfect view as well. It's the dumbest thing for a sport to have rulings that random in their interpretation, leaves it wide open robbing a team at best and for corruption at worst. Honestly you could do an Abbott and Costello routine talking about HTB.
rant over

Well there's 15 minutes of my life I won't get back :)
Found it though.

He doesn't move as quick as I thought. Still like it.

17:24 to go in the last quarter.

Haha, s**t mate - just a rough guess would have been fine! Thanks though, appreciate the effort.

Good vision too. I reckon there was a time when Stanley would have been content to just stand by Witts with an arm in the air, half-heartedly calling for the ball to be kicked on his head. Good to see him using his athleticism to put space between him and his opponent and looking like he actually wants the ball.

He didn't get the mark (Tuohy's kick wasn't great), but some nice follow up work anyway.

Playing 200 games won't be a challenge if he keeps getting them gifted. And no I'm not wrong on this kid. Anyone can be a hangout

You need to actually clue up and stop embarrassing yourself.
Surely you can see the potential this kid has to offer and be open to the possibilities?
To write him off after some of the things he has shown after GF and limited preparation is a really poor call IMO

Hi there.

Firstly, I haven't "come to the conclusion that Constable is the solution to that problem." My view is he is the most likely of the current players on our list to be that player. An important distinction. Yes, he averages 3 clearances a game, a full 2.4 more per game than James "The Messiah" Parsons.

If James Parsons' "obvious strength" is clearances then things are more dire for him than I thought given he has a career total of 17 at an average of 0.6 per game.
What an absurd argument. This was the first time at AFL level that he’s even attended many stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back