Review Geelong defeats GCS by 37 points at KP - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If they were centre square mids yes. But menegola basically never goes in there now. Permanent flanker. Makes it much harder.

Parfit does go in the centre square but he missed a game. So he is 2 out of 4. 50 percent.
Parfitt missed 2 games - didn't play rounds 1 or 3

So technically he'd be 2/3

Gees play direct and move the ball on quickly and game is watchable again. Plus we play better as well. What a shock.

Esava abd hawkins also play their best games for the season. Mere coincident hmmm.

Im guessing back to ring a rosy work next week.
So that has to be the standard for Sav now. Can’t be once in a while. Back it up!

Yeah that's fair enough. I know Steven won't be dropped. But I think Narkle is doing enough on his last 2 games anyway.
Clark should come in for Taylor who isn't providing anything at all. I am aware that won't happen though.
Yes Taylor, blicavs, Henry just spoil each other. One of them need to go.

Not getting ahead of myself, but no reason we can't win it this season... its a weird season, its short in games and fixture, it really is ideal for us.
Think Richmond have lost depth, Pies now have some issues. Lions beatable away from Brisbane. Port might very well be pretenders, think they'd get exposed in Finals footy with their defence. Very unsure about Eagles, but they will lift with consecutive home games.
GWS, Dogs, Cats are all bogey teams that might do the damage this year. Premiership betting has been wild this year, easy to arbitrage.
Take it easy. If at the start of the year I told you we have played GC, Dees, blues, hawks (at home) and GWS then most would say we should be 4-1. Next 3 weeks will tell a tale.

Congrats to Henry on 50. How do you think he is tracking? I remember that Friday night game three years ago against GWS he took about 10 defensive 50 marks, now he just does a late spoil or two and sometimes jumps against his fellow defenders.
Seems too many same type of defenders down back and one should be squeezed out.

Congrats to Henry on 50. How do you think he is tracking? I remember that Friday night game three years ago against GWS he took about 10 defensive 50 marks, now he just does a late spoil or two and sometimes jumps against his fellow defenders.
With Tuohy playing up the ground, Henry and O'Connor were our best two defenders yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong word twisting. I was making a point to the poster calling us idiots for suggesting a lot of our younger players were overhyped and not performing consistently. He was jerking off about how great Esava played and how we were stupid for suggesting he has been struggling (he has - thats a fact). The reality is we should not be jerking our players off after a single 'ok' game - wait until they do it consistently like Stewart managed last year. I have nightmares over all the jerking Stanley has been getting over the years after single good performances - that he never backs up or then gets injured again.

You need a new vocabulary

posters are allowed to be excited over players performance...it doesn’t hurt anyone unlike posters who continuously take pot shot at the clubs and plays down performance with their negative views all the time.

I reckon he's going along ok, but you're quite correct that he doesn't seem to back his judgement to take the intercept mark as much as he did when he first came into the team - also agree that perhaps there are a few too many of the same type down there and that this might be curbing his effectiveness

What I like about him is that he can run all day; the marking and the disposals skills are basically all in place and he really should continue to improve - I think he should be taking a KD spot ahead of Taylor and Blicavs; he'll probably benefit from Taylor's retirement at the end of the year (and has no doubt benefitted from having Taylor around to show him the ropes) ..

What the f$#%?
Edit: the post above was a response to the surprising revelation of Geelong's scoring status this season:

This type of thing does manage to happen more over the past 7 years (chose 7 as I think post 2013 is where we get some of this "dour" impression) than we think, with Geelong consistently finishing in the top 3 highest scoring teams during H&A. It gets padded it significantly by the games in Geelong where they do actually score heavily more often than not.

Where it dries up tends to be finals - more than the usual "finals tax" - where outside of 2 or 3 games Geelong have had some matches where scoring has been a massive issue. Then sometimes during H&A at the MCG.

Also we have had the latter half of 2019 fresh in our minds. The first half of the year they couldn't stop scoring and that goal kicking accuracy/efficiency in particular was insane, then the latter half of the year was essentially the reverse except for a few games against cellar dwellars at KP where they filled their boots and then some.

The midfielders and forward structure failing to hold up in some of our most memorable and disappointing losses during that extended time frame has given us that low scoring impression. As the dull/ineffective rebound from defence and static ball movement has by and large been a part of Geelong football for a long period of time now - whether they are scoring heavily or not.

Edit: the post above was a response to the surprising revelation of Geelong's scoring status this season:

This type of thing does manage to happen more over the past 7 years (chose 7 as I think post 2013 is where we get some of this "dour" impression) than we think, with Geelong consistently finishing in the top 3 highest scoring teams during H&A. It gets padded it significantly by the games in Geelong where they do actually score heavily more often than not.

Where it dries up tends to be finals - more than the usual "finals tax" - where outside of 2 or 3 games Geelong have had some matches where scoring has been a massive issue. Then sometimes during H&A at the MCG.

Also we have had the latter half of 2019 fresh in our minds. The first half of the year they couldn't stop scoring and that goal kicking accuracy/efficiency in particular was insane, then the latter half of the year was essentially the reverse except for a few games against cellar dwellars at KP where they filled their boots and then some.

The midfielders and forward structure failing to hold up in some of our most memorable and disappointing losses during that extended time frame has given us that low scoring impression. As the dull/ineffective rebound from defence and static ball movement has by and large been a part of Geelong football for a long period of time now - whether they are scoring heavily or not.
I'm still shocked

I thought we still looked pretty good at half time in the prelim last year.

I know it is in the could have and should have basket

But Geelong could have quite easily been 6-7 goals in front at half time in the 19 PF - if they had converted their scoring shots - and if they had of the Cats would have flag no 10 - ive got no doubt about that at all - and the GF would have been about an 8 goal romp in Geelongs favour

There is a fine line between winning and losing - when it comes to qualifying for GFs to get a premiership . 2007 Geel nearly lost the PF but didnt - then win the GF by 20 goals . Hawthorns 4 PFs they won by a goal or less . 2013 would have busted/destroyed their club - the other 2 they dodged bullets in the firing squad - against the Crows ( when Danger was still their ) - i think it was Douglass - streamed out of the centre just missed - would have put them in front . And against Port - the bloke with the beard had the shot to win it for Port and he missed as well

There is a very fine line which most supporters dont acknowledge

I know it is in the could have and should have basket

But Geelong could have quite easily been 6-7 goals in front at half time in the 19 PF - if they had converted their scoring shots - and if they had of the Cats would have flag no 10 - ive got no doubt about that at all - and the GF would have been about an 8 goal romp in Geelongs favour

There is a fine line between winning and losing - when it comes to qualifying for GFs to get a premiership . 2007 Geel nearly lost the PF but didnt - then win the GF by 20 goals . Hawthorns 4 PFs they won by a goal or less . 2013 would have busted/destroyed their club - the other 2 they dodged bullets in the firing squad - against the Crows ( when Danger was still their ) - i think it was Douglass - streamed out of the centre just missed - would have put them in front . And against Port - the bloke with the beard had the shot to win it for Port and he missed as well

There is a very fine line which most supporters dont acknowledge
Brilliant post. Such fine margins. Some of it of course comes down to the qualities of the players, or lack of qualities in the opposition at those moments. However your 2019 example is a good one, because if our players had the capacity to execute when on top, that game would've been put to bed. And maybe with Hawkins in the side that conversion of dominance could've been there. Just like having Enright and Chapman in the 2013 prelim probably would've swung the result our way and potentially stopped such an era of Hawthorn dominance.

2016 and 2017 missed chances were absolute debacles, with full culpability down to not being good enough on the days. 2013 and 2019 hurt because they were genuine close calls, where we had the games in our hands at points. And had GF opponents in Freo and GWS waiting to be rolled (I know Freo beat us in 2013 but I was confident our revenge in the GF would've come).

This type of thing does manage to happen more over the past 7 years (chose 7 as I think post 2013 is where we get some of this "dour" impression) than we think, with Geelong consistently finishing in the top 3 highest scoring teams during H&A.

Yep, even in recent seasons this is true. 3rd highest scoring in 2016, 4th highest scoring in 2017, 4th highest scoring in 2018, and 2nd highest scoring in 2019.

Sidenote: was thinking the other day about which have been the most "watchable"/exciting Chris Scott teams. If I ignore results and focus entirely on how attrative the football is, I think if I were to list each completed season from most to least aesthetically pleasing I'd go something like:

2019 (hard to rank this one as it depends which half of the year you emphasise; we were absolute awful to watch in the second half of the year but first half of the year we played some good stuff...I wouldn't quibble with anyone wanting to rate it higher than 2016, 2017 or 2014)

2011 and 2013 were the two years under Scott in which we played genuinely sexy football in the GFC tradition. 2011 in particular was absolutely awesome to watch, we were the most entertaining side in the comp that year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back