Review Geelong defeats GCS by 37 points at KP - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done, special win for the boys, the club and all the fans and extra special with Gazza kicking a 55 metre goal to finish a fantastic day! #SEL300 #GAZ350

Oh and they won for my Bday too! :)
Great Birthday present!

Did you have a Happy Birthday?

Well he did take out the oppositions best player, which helped us. Wasn’t deliberate though, just unfortunate.

Since when is krueger injured? Seen the clubs posts on ig and he has been in them at training.
After last weeks scratch match the had a article about every player then at the bottom named a few players who didn’t play due to injury

But not this bad. Not even close. Surely
Haha okay I can simplify things for you.

Since the restart, Geelong have averaged 80.25 points per game. Given the quarters are 4/5 as long, in a "normal" length match this would work out to be just over 100 points per game. Extrapolating this to 22 games, this would be 2200 points which is 195 points higher than the highest scoring team (Brisbane) managed last year.

tl;dr = Yes, things are actually less bad (for a Geelong perspective, in this very small sample size) than in previous years. Geelong are scoring quite freely, rather than everyone else scoring less. At least when we stick to the top end because I cannot be arsed doing a competition-wide analysis.

Before round one it was said by the club that you'll notice a completely different game style.
Well, they've delivered.
I have no idea what they will do with each possession.

Right now it's just a period of tick the box, get the 4 points, move on.
It honestly doesn't feel like we have a first string midfield. They are playing anyone and everyone.

Things will become clearer after a month on the second mcg. Ala domain stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a difference a little motivation makes.
They played like they wanted to win for Gaz and Sell.
Dug deep when overtaken and were never gonna lose.
Actually appeared to be having fun while coasting in the last Q.

Take Away : They can preform better when they choose.
Good Enuff? : Not fully Convinced
Gut Feeling. Something is missing from the mix.

They certainly aren't the worst but they haven't been consistently good either. Look at our top 6's from this year.

vs GWS: Geelong: Duncan, Stewart, Ablett, Selwood, Tuohy, Blicavs
vs Hawthorn: Geelong: Selwood, Parfitt, Stanley, Ablett, Stewart, Dangerfield
vs Carlton: Geelong: Duncan, Dangerfield, Tuohy, Narkle, Miers
vs Melbourne: Geelong: Guthrie, Menegola, Dangerfield, Selwood, Parfitt, Duncan
vs GC: Geelong: Duncan, Hawkins, Menegola, Selwood, Dangerfield, Tuohy

Duncan 4/5, Selwood 4/5, Dangerfield 4/5, Tuohy 3/5

Parfitt and Menegola both 2/5 - not consistent enough yet. Sample size also small.
Playing good footy doesn't mean you finish in the best 5 each game. O'Connor hasn't been in that list once, yet he has been very good.

Yeh he looked clumsy. He's turning into one of those players that cause us to hold our breath when he's around it, and my dog starts cringing waiting for the loud sweary stuff.
Not even marking to make up for his bloopers, either.
I'm with you on Blicavs Sam. My heart is in my mouth when he has the ball and looks like doing anything other than kick it as far as he can down the line. My dog has the same reaction as yours.

Last edited:
Playing good footy doesn't mean you finish in the best 5 each game. O'Connor hasn't been in that list once, yet he has been very good.

Rohan not mentioned for the Carlton game either despite being clearly our best.. ...selective list.

You wanted to trade a player based on one game? What sort of irrational thinking is that. He could of been playing hurt.
He was playing hurt! He and Scott have both said he had a back problem he was playing through.

Rohan not mentioned for the Carlton game either despite being clearly our best.. ...selective list.

Rohan had 10 disposals, 5 tackles and booted 2 goals against Carlton and he was our best player that game? https://www.afl.com.au/matches/2031#player-stats
It appears Stewart and Duncan were clearly ahead of Rohan but it's good you like to be rather selective with your view of players performances.

Rohan is playing really good football. Important player. I think this year we have to be smart about how we manage the two Gary’s and Danger. These guys were dead on their feet in September last year. Rest Rohan and Ablett. Player Danger full forward for a couple of weeks.

Worth sacrificing a top four spot to have them fresh in finals.

Rohan is playing really good football. Important player. I think this year we have to be smart about how we manage the two Gary’s and Danger. These guys were dead on their feet in September last year. Rest Rohan and Ablett. Player Danger full forward for a couple of weeks.

Worth sacrificing a top four spot to have them fresh in finals.
Rohan was actually slowed down by injuries (especially the concussion, and then a couple of knee injuries) rather than match fitness I think.

Not getting ahead of myself, but no reason we can't win it this season... its a weird season, its short in games and fixture, it really is ideal for us.
Think Richmond have lost depth, Pies now have some issues. Lions beatable away from Brisbane. Port might very well be pretenders, think they'd get exposed in Finals footy with their defence. Very unsure about Eagles, but they will lift with consecutive home games.
GWS, Dogs, Cats are all bogey teams that might do the damage this year. Premiership betting has been wild this year, easy to arbitrage.
After watching us in the Carlton/Melb games, you’d be hard -pressed to get ahead of yourself. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back