Review Geelong defeats GWS by 35 points and get into a Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand the Simpson bashing. My take on him is that he's far more composed than most players his age. Sells candy pretty well and makes good decisions in heavy traffic. Higgins seems to be responsible for more turnovers. He's been the worst disposal this year across the competition. That's diabolical in a final. I'd almost rather someone like Rohan who just doesn't go near it than someone who racks up 20 and burns it 5-10 times.

Higgins displayed good skills at NM, but seems to have left them behind when he came to us. His disposal has been poor.

That said, he was a little better in his last couple of games with us, but will he be able to step it up, as will be needed, against Melbourne??

Simpson looks calm under pressure, and is pretty reliable with his disposal...... to the eye anyway.

It's a gamble either way, but i feel a bit more reassured about Simpson than I do Higgins.

Higgins displayed good skills at NM, but seems to have left them behind when he came to us. His disposal has been poor.

That said, he was a little better in his last couple of games with us, but will he be able to step it up, as will needed, Melbourne??

Simpson looks calm under pressure, and is pretty reliable with his disposal...... to the eye anyway.

It's a gamble either way, but i feel a bit more reassured about Simpson than I do Higgins.
The difference is that Higgins gets the ball, and Simpson doesn't.

The difference is that Higgins gets the ball, and Simpson doesn't.

A little unkind to Simpson, but I get what you're saying.

That said, is Higgins' quantity of ball negated by his quality of disposal?

I'd say yes.

If he can turn in a performance like yesteryear then he's the go, but the available evidence suggests it's not likely.

I worry about his attitude towards his body. Does he go all out, putting it on the line over and over to get the team to the GF, but risking his own participation through injury, OR does he hold back a little, plays it safer, so that if the team does win through, he will be eligible for selection to his first GF. I don't know which kind of player he is.

I worry about his attitude towards his body. Does he go all out, putting it on the line over and over to get the team to the GF, but risking his own participation through injury, OR does he hold back a little, plays it safer, so that if the team does win through, he will be eligible for selection to his first GF. I don't know which kind of player he is.

Imo he's been gunshy about physical contact since he put the GFC jumper on. I don't know if that's been a bi-product of nursing an injury, or of age and soreness.

Geelong v GWS Giants
10 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
8 Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
4 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
3 Jack Henry (GEEL)
2 Sam Menegola (GEEL)
2 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)

Henry in the votes both finals for us so far.

I'm bored so I decided to check out the coaches votes in finals since 2018 (the first year they had them recorded on the site I was looking at) to see who our most consistent performers have been in finals.

Code:
Duncan:         22  (9, 10, 3)
Hawkins:        19  (6, 3, 10)
Dangerfield:    16  (7, 9)
Selwood:        13  (10, 1, 2)
Kolodjashnij:   8   (4, 1, 3)
Kelly:          8   (8)
Tuohy:          8   (8)
Henry:          7   (2, 2, 3)
Stewart:        7   (4, 3)
Guthrie:        6   (3, 2, 1)
Parfitt:        6   (2, 4)
Stanley:        5   (1, 2, 2)
Menegola:       5   (3, 2)
Ratugolea:      4   (4)
Bews:           1   (1)

Perhaps a better indicator of consistent finals performers is the number of times they've been in the votes e.g. Henry with 7 total votes from three matches has been more consistent than Tuohy with 8 from one.

3 Times

Duncan
Hawkins
Selwood
Kolodjashnij
Henry
Guthrie
Stanley

2 Times

Dangerfield
Stewart
Parfitt
Menegola

1 Time

Kelly
Tuohy
Ratugolea
Bews

In the end, not really as interesting as I'd hoped tbh. But.....Kolo! :oops::oops:

But.....Kolo! :oops::oops:

HorrifiedFace.gif

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get shitty when we loose and bag players but I think we need a balanced view.
If they read the crap on this site they would be downcast.
Lets balance this up with some more positive comments.
I often wonder whether players ever come here to read the commentary.
I would, just for a laugh..
Feel sorry for role players who often get the rough end, but on balance, the pundits here are more often right than wrong..

I often wonder whether players ever come here to read the commentary.
I would, just for a laugh..
Feel sorry for role players who often get the rough end, but on balance, the pundits here are more often right than wrong..
I reckon their "mates" would soon let them know about anything "interesting"

I’m very surprised that the media haven’t noticed how good this kid is
Media knows its audience. The angle about having a decent young gun coming through won't cut through with neutrals when the cats have a stable full of veterans.

I prefer it this way. He hasn't had any pressure put on him early and has been given time to find his feet a bit.

That said, he was a little better in his last couple of games with us, but will he be able to step it up, as will be needed, against Melbourne??

Was very slow in home and away looked even slower in first final, Just too slow and gets hurried so disposals are off

Stuffed our season by losing to Melbourne in round 23. It meant a harder first final against Port at their home ground. We needed to win our first final as older legs needed a week off. We have lost one player each week for the last month. We do not have the depth to cover that. Too many hamstring injuries in the second half of the season.
Mind you Melbourne have been excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back