Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

On Tim Kelly I think the best way to secure his signature would be a large increase in pay over what he is currently on, over a decent amount of years with some variables/KPIs involved for potentially more cash.
He'd be on 120-150k or so maybe this year (assuming 20 games played), if towards the end of this year, assuming form continues, we offer him say a 300k over 3 year extension I can't see how he'd even consider leaving. That's a big pay increase over what would already be more money than he's made prior.
The thing is too he's worth that coin, potentially that could be unders.

His family is with him. His wife and three kids live with him. I guess they are hinting at his extended family i.e. Parents and siblings.
Yes, that's who I meant lol I think of parents + siblings as close family, aunts, uncles + cousins as extended.

I'm thinking in terms of Geelong helping Kelly get a larger house so that parents - Kelly's + his wife's, can visit more often + stay for a few weeks. Pay their airfares to Geelong. Also, send Kelly's wife for visits with the kids to WA. I think that would really help them. Perhaps an au pair to help with the four (?) kids too.

I don't think it's that big a deal TBH.
Footy players get an off season a bye and go back to WA to play a couple of times a year.
Plus they're pretty cashed up and can fly people over for a holiday any time they like.
Plus they also have the club helping them out.
Not really the same as us regular people who move away from work.
That may be so, still, I think a bit of extra help would be appreciated + an inducement to stay.

Even the “Geeee-Looooong” chant is old. Every team chant the same thing and there is no individuality. Listen to the chants they get going in the EPL and imagine if we came up with our own unique chant that we could get started during games when we a thrashing teams. It would embarrass the opposition and we could be the first club to do it so other teams would have to copy us and look like try yards if it wasn’t as good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They come up with chants because they are bored.

Even the “Geeee-Looooong” chant is old. Every team chant the same thing and there is no individuality. Listen to the chants they get going in the EPL and imagine if we came up with our own unique chant that we could get started during games when we a thrashing teams. It would embarrass the opposition and we could be the first club to do it so other teams would have to copy us and look like try yards if it wasn’t as good

Yep totally agree. But we have to start somewhere. Getting something easy going would let everyone join in and hopefully make it ground wide.

Yes, that's who I meant lol I think of parents + siblings as close family, aunts, uncles + cousins as extended.

I'm thinking in terms of Geelong helping Kelly get a larger house so that parents - Kelly's + his wife's, can visit more often + stay for a few weeks. Pay their airfares to Geelong. Also, send Kelly's wife for visits with the kids to WA. I think that would really help them. Perhaps an au pair to help with the four (?) kids too.

Hmmmm that would be a payment though. If the club paid for any of that, i.e. travel for his parents or any other family that would need to be added to his salary. I highly doubt that would happen.
Plus he'd be already on a fair wage, considering base payment, plus match payments. He'd be on a fairly good wicket.

On TV it sounded quiet quite a bit. I think they need to use the big TV screen better, have a chant like GGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEELong up there so it is an ongoing chant by the whole crowd. The cheer squad is really underwhelming with the same old chants that
seemingly don't go beyond the boundary of the cheer squad seating.

Imagine the whole crowd doing the prolonged Geelong chant. It would be glorious. But they need to get the entire crown involved.

I was speaking with a friend who is in the ChSq + said that the Geelong supporters at KP complain to the Club about them being too noisey :rolleyes:

She refused to accept that the ChSq is underwhelming, thinks + says they are amazing! :rolleyes:

What can you do with both of those?

Hmmmm that would be a payment though. If the club paid for any of that, i.e. travel for his parents or any other family that would need to be added to his salary. I highly doubt that would happen.
Plus he'd be already on a fair wage, considering base payment, plus match payments. He'd be on a fairly good wicket.
I doubt it, the Club would have ways around it.

I doubt it, the Club would have ways around it.

I'm in the opinion it would be found out very easily. The club cannot fund such a thing, it is far too risky considering being found out and being sanctioned for a salary cap
breach.

Yes it may have happened 20+ years ago, but doubt it now. They could through sponsors find a better house for them to rent, no doubt in that. However, for the club to
fly family around on their packet, just wouldn't happen. Far too risky in being swept up in the salary cap.

Likewise, would they then also have to do that for Parfitt, or any other WA or NT player who also have family living interstate? Yes I get it, he's an amazing player. However,
the club is a club, they need to be financially responsible and also take into consideration the issues extended to the rest of the team.

I've got mates who work in high performance sport and clubs from different sports. They often try to work on the intangibles, such as better housing or use of a club car for
a while etc. Paying under the table though, such as for extra services in travel/flights, is just not on. It is easily picked up and just far too risky.

Given the news from Menzel of his injection during the week (the info was he was hobbling badly), I can't see him returning next week. They'd want to make absolutely sure
that he's pain free. Seeing that Crameri blew a lot of rust off last night, I wouldn't mind seeing him have another go.

However, if Menzel is pain free, he comes in. What I'd like to see is Guthrie go, perhaps Gregson also, for Menz and Ablett. Then massage the team around to have Zuthrie
replaced with a like for like runner. I'd be interested in seeing Cunico or Murdoch in his place.

I realise the forward line would be slow, but perhaps we could have one like this:

Ablett Ratugalea Menzel

Crameri Hawkins Fog

Unsure if the lack of leg speed will be an issue. However, with Cunico and Murdoch playing on either wing, they might adjust at that CHF line to assist in loss of leg speed
forward.

Hey! with you on all that, after a slow start Crameri wasn't to bad considering everything.
Probably gave close to what Menzel would have, once he got going.
I don't see any loss of run with omitting Gregson and Guthrie, Gregson has no pace and Guthrie just shouldn't be out there.
Ablett and Fogarty are faster runners than Gregson and Cunico is a jet.
Cunico's kicking is class as well, want him in wherever. He and Henry have both been fantastic.
Murdoch's tackling and marking has been a feature with his pace, hope he doesn't get rubbed out.

They come up with chants because they are bored.

Actually it’s to create atmosphere and get the crowd involved. And the point I was making is that if we were going to chant something rather than Geeeee-Looooong which all clubs have been doing for years, I’m sure there is something more intimidating and more fun to chant that we could get the whole crowd involved in. Have you seen Anthony Joshua fight? Imagine being a boxer and walking into the lions den hearing the home crowd chant like that. It could be something to set our home ground apart from the others

In late news

Tom Hawkins will be charged on Monday with attempted murder of an umpire

seriously the game is giving me the shits, pick an incident and then try to change the rules based on one incident

cotchin was not suspended for 4 incidents that others were, and the afl want to continue to make tom the token rule precedent

caro please jerk tim off as he still hasnt got over his call on the cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So anyone know when the Hawkins thing will get looked at?you can't excuse Hawkins,however that bloke for an experienced umpire should had the sense to keep a bit of distance and not run in with the hand out waving it around,they should fine both of them.
It's being looked at right now.

Actually it’s to create atmosphere and get the crowd involved. And the point I was making is that if we were going to chant something rather than Geeeee-Looooong which all clubs have been doing for years, I’m sure there is something more intimidating and more fun to chant that we could get the whole crowd involved in. Have you seen Anthony Joshua fight? Imagine being a boxer and walking into the lions den hearing the home crowd chant like that. It could be something to set our home ground apart from the others

No the poms chant because they are bored. I don't want our entertaining game to have an semblance of British atmosphere.

Andrew Wills?

Geelong could have 'banked' on Willsey, but he also went to Freo, funnily enough i think we might have got a compo pick which we picked Adam Houlihan with back then.

But Wills was a local as he, Mensch and my brother all played in the 1983 Big M little League Premiership!

Naturally only the former played senior VFL/AFL.

Bairstow went back home at one stage before returning.

Yes, and Malarkey also did too after '83...but returned by the first third of the 1984 season, although he ceded his number 5 guernsey to a certain young man by the name of Gary Sr!!

Geelong could have 'banked' on Willsey, but he also went to Freo, funnily enough i think we might have got a compo pick which we picked Adam Houlihan with back then.

But Wills was a local as he, Mensch and my brother all played in the 1983 Big M little League Premiership!

Naturally only the former played senior VFL/AFL.
Yeah I'm banking on he was a local.
Was a bit fraudulent of me. I just put him out there cause Freo embezzled him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back