Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching a reply of the game, I have a question about one of the decisions. In the second quarter danger tackled a bloke and he tried to kick it but ended up dropping it which ended up resulting in a ball up. Danger asks the ump why it wasn’t holding the ball. The ump says “he tried to kick it”. Wtf? You can try to do all you like but at the end of the day it’s illegal disposal. I don’t care it wasn’t a free just found the umps explanation was weird.

So the next time a player is tackled and tried to handball but drops it you can argue that you were trying to handball?
That’s correct, it about trying
No winners no losers
Everyone gets a ribbon (except Hawkins)

Even the “Geeee-Looooong” chant is old. Every team chant the same thing and there is no individuality. Listen to the chants they get going in the EPL and imagine if we came up with our own unique chant that we could get started during games when we a thrashing teams. It would embarrass the opposition and we could be the first club to do it so other teams would have to copy us and look like try yards if it wasn’t as good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They are all childish and cringe worthy, would do my head in to listen to that bullshit at games.

Whoever came up with the chant after every goal really should stick to their day job, irritating as s**t.

Last edited:
Watching a reply of the game, I have a question about one of the decisions. In the second quarter danger tackled a bloke and he tried to kick it but ended up dropping it which ended up resulting in a ball up. Danger asks the ump why it wasn’t holding the ball. The ump says “he tried to kick it”. Wtf? You can try to do all you like but at the end of the day it’s illegal disposal. I don’t care it wasn’t a free just found the umps explanation was weird.

So the next time a player is tackled and tried to handball but drops it you can argue that you were trying to handball?
That's literally the rule though. If you have no prior opportunity and try to kick it but miss your foot it's meant to be play on. I'm surprised by how few fans/players/commentators understand this.

There's a pretty reasonable justification for it as well. If the rule was interpreted whereby every missed kicking attempt was called as holding the ball players would be disincentivised from attempting to dispose of the ball in the first place. This in turn would lead to more congestion and even more complaints about the 'state of the game'.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Round 7 vs Greater Western Sydney Centre Bounce Combinations

Q1:

20.00 - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Kelly
14.25 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Kelly
13.33 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Kelly
8.12 - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Kelly
5.38 - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, Kelly

Q2:

12.08 - Stanley, Dangerfield, S.Selwood, Kelly
8.56 - Stanley, J.Selwood, Duncan, Kelly
5.57 - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, S.Selwood
3.24 - Ratugolea, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, S.Selwood

Q3:

20.00 - Stanley, J.Selwood, Duncan, Kelly
17.00 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Kelly
12.08 - Ratugolea, S.Selwood, Duncan, Kelly
11.15 - Ratugolea, S.Selwood, Duncan, Kelly
9.04 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Duncan
1.58 - Stanley, Dangerfield, S.Selwood, Duncan

Q4:

20.00 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Duncan
18.10 - Stanley, J.Selwood, S.Selwood, Duncan
13.49 - Stanley, Dangerfield, Kelly, Menegola
9.56 - Ratugolea, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, S.Selwood
3.04 - Stanley, Dangerfield, J.Selwood, S.Selwood

Centre Bounce Attendances:

Stanley: 17/21
Ratugolea: 4/21

J.Selwood: 16/21
S.Selwood: 14/21
Kelly: 13/21
Dangerfield: 11/21
Duncan: 8/21
Menegola: 1/21

It being a Friday I could only watch the game at work on my phone. The viewing was sporadic and the first 3 quarters was without sound. Here are my impressions:
We seemed to be moving the ball forward with confidence, and hit targets I50 quite well. GWS seemed to hit our interceptors more often. We scored on our shots, they didn't. I couldn't watch very closely so I can't say how the midfield went. Our 'replacements play better with more cohesion(liking this word :)) than theirs. That's why most of the unwashed masses fail to mention we have as many first 22 out as them.
Some highlights:
Murdoch had some nice long passes, one weighted to just get over Hawkins' shoulder.
On the highlights I saw Stanley try to lay a shepherd after a tap down. Not much but I'm a glass half-full type.
The Postage Stamp posterizing Patten. That photo needs to be on a cover somewhere next week.
Without seeing enough of the game, I would suggest that Crameri is adding good value to the team. He is a veteran, he knows how to play in the front line and open space for others. That is not to be underestimated. Would be interesting to see how he and Menzel work together.
I think SSelwood is so important to our midfield structure. The club has to train and develop an understudy for that role. A couple of weeks ago, I came into the a gameday thread to post that he was missed. I had seen a center bounce tapped forward by us and all the midfield including our ruck move forward, the ball immediately pingponged back the other way but we had nobody on that side of the square. Fortunately, St. Kilda muffed it.

Another step on the journey for this group. Keep banking that playing time together. Inevitably Kelly, Stewart, Sav or someone will have a bad game. I'm not worried. Might get rough against some of the better sides, but they are heading in the right direction. Good win.

That's literally the rule though. If you have no prior opportunity and try to kick it but miss your foot it's meant to be play on. I'm surprised by how few fans/players/commentators understand this.

There's a pretty reasonable justification for it as well. If the rule was interpreted whereby every missed kicking attempt was called as holding the ball players would be disincentivised from attempting to dispose of the ball in the first place. This in turn would lead to more congestion and even more complaints about the 'state of the game'.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
i understand that but It's confusing because sometimes it's a free and sometimes it's play on. I guess the issue is that the umpires have different interpretations. There was a similar one against sav that he tried to feed out a handball, but missed it and got done for holding the ball.

A view of the team song unlike you see on tv - this is right up there with the best experiences I have had at the football and by far the best part of being able to enjoy the GMHBA Fan Portal. Audio may not be great - but I think we know the lyrics pretty well

That was fantastic cats09! Lots of love between the Boyz, isn't there. Liked Scotty giving you the thumbs up ;)

Looking forward to more about your Fan Portal experience. Can understand your excitement, what a great way to see the Inner Sanctum.

Q1:

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:

Watching the game Kelly getting more centre square time did seem to be their attempt to improve our centre clearances.

Funnily enough Rhys Stanley with 3 topped that stat. Joel 2, 1 a piece to Scooter, Kelly, Sav and errr Jed Bews, not sure on that one.

Still lost 12-9.

Misspoke, maybe? I thought his boot clearly touched the ball, meaning it wasn't a free.

******* Brereton again showing his hatred of Geelong and trying to get Hawk banned. Claimed he 'slapped' the umpire. It was a gentle push on the umpires hand. A fine at worst.

Brereton is such a flog! Over-reacting to Tomahawk's slight touch of the umpire's fingers, making out that Tomahawk slapped Margett's hand. Trying to excuse + rationalise (unsuccessfully) Thomas' deliberate collision with Scooter. What Geelong supporter would believe anything he says?

Tomahawk gently pushed the umpire's hand away, did not slap the umpire's hand. He's been sent straight to the Tribunal, 'charged with making intentional contact with an umpire'. Assessed by MRO Michael Christian as 'intentional conduct', so no early plea is possible for Hawkins.

Tomahawk was offered a $2,000 fine for the 'rough conduct charge, judged as careless conduct with low impact to the body' on Haynes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q1:

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:

One for Menegola after his 4th quarter heroics last week. Excellent coaching.

They're not leaving Taylor out. Or Henderson for that matter although that decision is a fair while away. It's a pretty obvious change though. Zuthrie out Taylor in.

Blicavs plays as the main lockdown tall, Kolo plays as the other major lockdown defender since he can play on smalls too (did really well on Walters a couple of years back). Taylor plays a floating roll taking the 2nd tall or resting ruck while being the main leader running the back line. Still plenty of room for Stewart, Bews, Thuoy and Henry. It also means if S Selwood gets injured or an opposition mid gets off the chain that we can switch Blicavs into a tagging role with Taylor going key defence and Kolo playing on a taller opponent. It's a well balanced backline to me.

This is exactly the explanation I was looking for.

Touching an umpire is a shocking look regardless of what you say or think of the Chanel 7 guys. I’d be thrilled if he escapes with just a fine. But I wouldn’t argue if he got a couple. How stupid can a player be? Our game doesn’t have them but that’s an instant ejection in any other game. I’m amazed people are defending this. Simply cannot happen.

He will need a couple of games in the VFL first.

ps, sorry, couldn't resist that, somebody actually said it seriously on here yesterday, somewhere or other.

Taylor said it:
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/1ffa364016d622514d46384dee1d1115
“There is a chance I might play VFL at some point but we’ll wait and see. We’re fortunate enough these days where we do a lot of match simulation at training and it gets very heated and it is pretty high intensity.

“If that is enough for me to come straight in then that will be it, otherwise the coaches might think it’s best for me to spend some time in the VFL.”
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/1ffa364016d622514d46384dee1d1115

I’ll start with – if anyone is a GMHBA member, enter the GMHBA Cats Rewards competition because the prizes are well worth it. Friday night I was lucky enough to partake in the GMHBA Fan Portal experience, and the opportunity to watch the players in the final stage of warm up was great, but the information provided is what I’m still reflecting on.

The night starts with receiving your welcome pack and heading to my seats for the night – seats are located in the new Brownlow Stand, upper level and beside the Ford Stand, so you actually get some good protection for the weather. Along with making sure your seated in time, also need to ensure you wear your lanyard for the night for easy identification & access to the fan portal room
D2BFCF28-E975-4599-9E52-521EB8B3AC78.jpeg

Once we make our way to the fan portal room we are given welcome packs which includes special socks we have to wear so we don’t slip on the glass floor
038DE585-79BF-4355-B80E-9EF361239CE4.jpeg

At this stage, no photos are permitted within the fan portal area before the match – this is due to the small issue of gambling & money; it sucks but understandable.

The night is hosted by Andrew Bews – he was great & a wealth of information. He starts with some house rules, bit of a self-bio and then we have a short quiz where the prize is a replica Sherrin
ADDC9BE7-8643-4DCB-8C31-13927FE0F333.jpeg
Always good to pay attention to what Bews has to say & remember that he was captain from 1990 -> 1991. He was also Stewart’s junior footy coach before he headed to South Barwon.

With time to kill he took questions & no subject was off limits – he has watched a replay of the 1989 grand final. He was asked about who is better between him & Jed – apparently Jed is tall & better looking, so he gets the edge there, and said how he has spoken with Jed who has just played his 50thgame, while at the same age he had played over 100 games but that it was a different era back then as he came into a side 3rd bottom while Jed has had to fight to get into a team that has continued to find themselves at the pointy end of the ladder. He also has another kid who is playing football at Anglesea and you can tell he is equally proud of both of them.

Bews also spoke about how the week gets broken down for players, and a lot of the focus now days is on match recovery, match review and then match preparation – and that it doesn’t leave a lot of time for skills work which is a frustration for clubs.

Then we went into a couple of video messages from Ling & Scott. They started with Ling explaining what we could expect to see when the blinds open & we get to see the players warm up:

• Tuohy is as you see him off the footy field; he likes a joke & a laugh
  • Menegola is very serious & focused and won’t necessarily talk to others during this time. That made sense when I thought back to watching a few of the guys on the field around 6ish, and Menegola was out there but practicing goal kicking at both ends without really interacting with the other guys on the field (Tuohy, Stewart, Thurlow & Gregson)
  • Zach Guthrie spent summer in the gym & did manage to put on some muscle, and his biggest supporter is Scarlo who is impressed by his defensive work, his composure & disposal skills. Zuthrie could use some time in the VFL to work on things & continue to develop – but with Scarlo as defensive coach, maybe he is pushing for his inclusion & hoping that maybe it will help to fast track his development.
  • Spoke about the role of the leadership group and them getting around to players in the rooms, having a chat and especially with younger guys making sure they are going ok. Particular mention was made of Joel, Duncan, Blicavs & Taylor in talking to the players & getting around to everyone. Stewart’s name was also mentioned as someone who gets around the defensive unit & is showing leadership qualities without being in the leadership group – maybe a future leadership group player or even higher, he looks to have the respect of the players when you watch him out on the field.
Scott’s message was about enjoying the experience & the game etc.

Once the blind went back, Bews started to describe what we were actually seeing:
  • If the players look up all they can see is your socks - not sure they really cared about looking up as they were focused on what was ahead of them.
  • All the emergencies will be involved in the full pre-game warm up but they have to complete their warm up in the rooms, as they aren’t allowed on the ground unless they have been confirmed as a late change. So I could see all of Constable, Parsons & Buzza in their gear warming up with the rest of the players (I noticed Parsons was wearing normal runners & not footy boots, not sure about the other two though). The emergencies will continue warming up in the rooms until the match starts & no further changes are permitted – at that time they can then cool down & prepare to watch the match (or head off for the VFL) and if they are staying they won’t get to see any of the first quarter.
That got me thinking this morning and I know that there’s a few on here who get annoyed at the late changes, but with us having our full squad warm up (or for interstate matches it would be the traveling emergencies), is there a chance that maybe the club isn’t viewing things as Thursday being when you name the team of 22 & 4 emergencies, but rather they are naming a squad of 26, and it’s not until match time (match conditions are known, how players have warmed up etc are better known) that they finalise the 22 to actually play? So they have decided to say, “we take a squad of 26 into every match & pick the best 22 at the final stage”.​

Warm up finishes and the players go into the rooms for final instructions from Scotty before they head out onto the ground. We then return to our seats in time to see the coin toss & hope for a win. A win means the opportunity to head back to the rooms & watch the team song, plus we can stick around as long as we want & take as many photos as we want – no betting/gambling issues get in the way this time.
26439250-313A-4E75-913A-AB8EF7B7C6E8.jpeg

After they song they head into the room for a quick briefing from Scott before they come out – some stretch, others pretend to stretch while sitting around talking & removing tape. One thing that was clear post match – yellow Gatorade is not popular amongst our players, I think only a couple of bottles were taken
0545C329-3C47-4EB0-AE56-28864F58E4FE.jpeg

I stuck around for a bit taking photos and enjoying the experience – and it’s definitely worth trying to win tickets for the experience if you can.

D7B83F70-5A53-49BE-9A0B-0D7B41CD943F.jpeg CA1B4196-4DAE-4221-9E4A-0BCC62FF7F28.jpeg C009024E-4075-488C-B2EC-3B58FEEA8A29.jpeg

Last edited:
So both western teams have had ample opportunity to sign him up, given he's in his early 20s, yet because he's now shown something they are interested and he's going to jump at that?
His direct family is with him. They live in Geelong. He is an AFL footballer, he'd know that it is common to play outside of his home. He's also a restricted player; if he get's an offer from
someone else, we have the right to match.

Secondly, the only reason to why we'd accept a trade is due to chronic homesickness. I highly doubt he'd have the time to consider that right now, given how good he is going. From what
I heard during the half-time interview with Ablett, it seems as though Kelly is really taking in the advice from Danger, Selwood and Ablett, soaking all that knowledge up. I cannot see him
wanting to move away from that environment anytime soon.

Exactly! An AFL career is short, the Kelly's will have plenty of family time when he retires. The family is in a position for grandparents to visit Geelong.

As for the WA teams' interest in him. . .why would Kelly want to play for teams who previously had no interest in him? They had their chance + missed it. Besides, who'd want to play for Lyon's Freo? Ugly footy.

Just looking at the way Kelly has glided into the team so smoothly, having the chance to learn from + play with Selwood, Ablett + Dangerfield, Kelly has hit his groove + he is relishing it! I think Kelly will repay the opportunity he's been given with loyalty.

Exactly! An AFL career is short, the Kelly's will have plenty of family time when he retires. The family is in a position for grandparents to visit Geelong.

As for the WA teams' interest in him. . .why would Kelly want to play for teams who previously had no interest in him? They had their chance + missed it. Besides, who'd want to play for Lyon's Freo? Ugly footy.

Just looking at the way Kelly has glided into the team so smoothly, having the chance to learn from + play with Selwood, Ablett + Dangerfield, Kelly has hit his groove + he is relishing it! I think Kelly will repay the opportunity he's been given with loyalty.
spot on Kitty

i understand that but It's confusing because sometimes it's a free and sometimes it's play on. I guess the issue is that the umpires have different interpretations. There was a similar one against sav that he tried to feed out a handball, but missed it and got done for holding the ball.

Yeah I do get the confusion and it can be called inconsistently at times. There also is a difference between the interpretation of a missed kick and a missed handball though. A missed handball will always be called a throw even without the presence of a tackle. A holding the ball decision requires a tackle to be present and also takes into account prior opportunity and genuine attempts to dispose of the ball.

This is why Sav was (rightly) called for a throw but the GWS player was allowed to get away with dropping the footy without getting a boot to the ball.

I’ll start with – if anyone is a GMHBA member, enter the GMHBA Cats Rewards competition because the prizes are well worth it. Friday night I was lucky enough to partake in the GMHBA Fan Portal experience, and the opportunity to watch the players in the final stage of warm up was great, but the information provided is what I’m still reflecting on.

The night starts with receiving your welcome pack and heading to my seats for the night – seats are located in the new Brownlow Stand, upper level and beside the Ford Stand, so you actually get some good protection for the weather. Along with making sure your seated in time, also need to ensure you wear your lanyard for the night for easy identification & access to the fan portal room
View attachment 492999

Once we make our way to the fan portal room we are given welcome packs which includes special socks we have to wear so we don’t slip on the glass floor
View attachment 493000

At this stage, no photos are permitted within the fan portal area before the match – this is due to the small issue of gambling & money; it sucks but understandable.

The night is hosted by Andrew Bews – he was great & a wealth of information. He starts with some house rules, bit of a self-bio and then we have a short quiz where the prize is a replica Sherrin
View attachment 493001
Always good to pay attention to what Bews has to say & remember that he was captain from 1990 -> 1991. He was also Stewart’s junior footy coach before he headed to South Barwon.

With time to kill he took questions & no subject was off limits – he has watched a replay of the 1989 grand final. He was asked about who is better between him & Jed – apparently Jed is tall & better looking, so he gets the edge there, and said how he has spoken with Jed who has just played his 50thgame, while at the same age he had played over 100 games but that it was a different era back then as he came into a side 3rd bottom while Jed has had to fight to get into a team that has continued to find themselves at the pointy end of the ladder. He also has another kid who is playing football at Anglesea and you can tell he is equally proud of both of them.

Bews also spoke about how the week gets broken down for players, and a lot of the focus now days is on match recovery, match review and then match preparation – and that it doesn’t leave a lot of time for skills work which is a frustration for clubs.

Then we went into a couple of video messages from Ling & Scott. They started with Ling explaining what we could expect to see when the blinds open & we get to see the players warm up:

• Tuohy is as you see him off the footy field; he likes a joke & a laugh
  • Menegola is very serious & focused and won’t necessarily talk to others during this time. That made sense when I thought back to watching a few of the guys on the field around 6ish, and Menegola was out there but practicing goal kicking at both ends without really interacting with the other guys on the field (Tuohy, Stewart, Thurlow & Gregson)
  • Zach Guthrie spent summer in the gym & did manage to put on some muscle, and his biggest supporter is Scarlo who is impressed by his defensive work, his composure & disposal skills. Zuthrie could use some time in the VFL to work on things & continue to develop – but with Scarlo as defensive coach, maybe he is pushing for his inclusion & hoping that maybe it will help to fast track his development.
  • Spoke about the role of the leadership group and them getting around to players in the rooms, having a chat and especially with younger guys making sure they are going ok. Particular mention was made of Joel, Duncan, Blicavs & Taylor in talking to the players & getting around to everyone. Stewart’s name was also mentioned as someone who gets around the defensive unit & is showing leadership qualities without being in the leadership group – maybe a future leadership group player or even higher, he looks to have the respect of the players when you watch him out on the field.
Scott’s message was about enjoying the experience & the game etc.

Once the blind went back, Bews started to describe what we were actually seeing:
  • If the players look up all they can see is your socks - not sure they really cared about looking up as they were focused on what was ahead of them.
  • All the emergencies will be involved in the full pre-game warm up but they have to complete their warm up in the rooms, as they aren’t allowed on the ground unless they have been confirmed as a late change. So I could see all of Constable, Parsons & Buzza in their gear warming up with the rest of the players (I noticed Parsons was wearing normal runners & not footy boots, not sure about the other two though). The emergencies will continue warming up in the rooms until the match starts & no further changes are permitted – at that time they can then cool down & prepare to watch the match (or head off for the VFL) and if they are staying they won’t get to see any of the first quarter.
That got me thinking this morning and I know that there’s a few on here who get annoyed at the late changes, but with us having our full squad warm up (or for interstate players it would be the traveling emergencies), is there a chance that maybe the club isn’t viewing things as Thursday being when you name the team of 22 & 4 emergencies, but rather they are naming a squad of 26, and it’s not until match time (match conditions are known, how players have warmed up etc are better known) that they finalise the 22 to actually play? So they have decided to say, “we take a squad of 26 into every match & pick the best 22 at the final stage”.​

Warm up finishes and the players go into the rooms for final instructions from Scotty before they head out onto the ground. We then return to our seats in time to see the coin toss & hope for a win. A win means the opportunity to head back to the rooms & watch the team song, plus we can stick around as long as we want & take as many photos as we want – no betting/gambling issues get in the way this time.
View attachment 493004

After they song they head into the room for a quick briefing from Scott before they come out – some stretch, others pretend to stretch while sitting around talking & removing tape. One thing that was clear post match – yellow Gatorade is not popular amongst our players, I think only a couple of bottles were taken
View attachment 493002

I stuck around for a bit taking photos and enjoying the experience – and it’s definitely worth trying to win tickets for the experience if you can.

View attachment 493007 View attachment 493005 View attachment 493006

Excellent insight!!
Is it pretty much night over after the final siren if we don’t win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back