Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?
Intent was there... thats been widely acknowledged. So why are you mentioning that as a criticism?
Execution re: tackles was poor... 3 of 8 were effective. Criticisms valid, but again, at least the intent was there.
Centre clearances.... he had 1. Not good enough.
Stoppage clearances... he had 3 (2 were handball receives) Average.
Some arent getting carried away by those numbers... whats hard to believe about that?
Wasn't referring to you, but somebody mentioned the 8 tackles as if he was second to the ball as a criticism. Anyway, he performed, we won, he'll be back to satisfy us next week.

Geez us Cats fans have no patience.
Sav is a raw tall forward and ruck promise who needs time to find his way, right now his form is down, there's no doubt about that, but he's still out there giving every contest his best and is still doing what he should be.
When he starts doing the Nathan Vardy and showing zero interest THEN he gets dropped back a level but right now you get games into these kind of kids.
Everyone in the game, everyone, says getting games into players like Sav bear fruit later down the track. Tom Hawkins, whose a Champion of our club, got gifted a lot of games earlier in his career that he didn't deserve, and in a team with a plethora of tall options, and being a touted number 1 pick.
Give him time, while the effort, intensity and willingness to throw his body at the contest remains, he remains.
Sav is still my preferred option, but its getting harder to make a case for him not having a couple of weeks in the VFL. Especially for those of us who argue merit based selections

Sav is a raw tall forward and ruck promise who needs time to find his way, right now his form is down, there's no doubt about that, but he's still out there giving every contest his best and is still doing what he should be.
When he starts doing the Nathan Vardy and showing zero interest THEN he gets dropped back a level but right now you get games into these kind of kids.
Everyone in the game, everyone, says getting games into players like Sav bear fruit later down the track. Tom Hawkins, whose a Champion of our club, got gifted a lot of games earlier in his career that he didn't deserve, and in a team with a plethora of tall options, and being a touted number 1 pick.
Give him time, while the effort, intensity and willingness to throw his body at the contest remains, he remains.

Is that when he leaves and wins a flag at another team :p

The way he is going he will kick 6 goals for the year...after 5 games and only 1 goal it's time for the VFL

I think he did have a bit. If you really want another ruckman in though, Fort was a fair bit better than Abbott on the weekend.
Abbott was still good but is a bit of a giraffe when he's got the ball.

I think it's about someone who can provide more firepower than what Sav provides atm up forward and in the ruck.
I am a big fan but he's had enough time for very little in return.

HAWTHORN v GEELONG
9 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
7 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
4 Ricky Henderson (HAW)
4 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
4 Ben McEvoy (HAW)
2 Mark O'Connor (GEEL)

LEADERBOARD
36 Patrick Cripps
35 Marcus Bontempelli
26 Tim Kelly
25 Patrick Dangerfield
24 Lachie Neale
23 Lachie Whitfield
22 Nat Fyfe
21 Michael Walters
20 Stephen Coniglio
19 Seb Ross

HAWTHORN v GEELONG
9 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
7 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
4 Ricky Henderson (HAW)
4 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
4 Ben McEvoy (HAW)
2 Mark O'Connor (GEEL)

LEADERBOARD
36 Patrick Cripps
35 Marcus Bontempelli
26 Tim Kelly
25 Patrick Dangerfield
24 Lachie Neale
23 Lachie Whitfield
22 Nat Fyfe
21 Michael Walters
20 Stephen Coniglio
19 Seb Ross

My man O'Connor in the votes. The bandwagon is getting a bit cramped now after being very spacious for the last year or more.

2 from 2 at the G.

For years many said our gameplan couldn't hold up on the larger ground, and there was certainly a case to support that.

It's only a small sample but it appears one issue among many that seems to have been addressed.

Last edited:
Watching the replay currently, and one thing that stood out was Luke Dahlhaus having a direct hand in 4 second quarter goals.

While he hasn't hit the scoreboard as often as he'd probably like, he's still having a huge impact on it through other areas. It's been a real solid first five weeks from him.

Last edited:
Agreed, the media need to stop pushing their agenda.

People love their heros and villians. One man's hero is another man's villain.

If the hawk fans want to boo Ablett for whatever reason then who cares.

I for one think there isn't enough booing (except when it comes to WC games in Perth).

As far as I'm concerned, the Hawk nuffies can boooooooo GAJ till the cows come home......the more they booed yesterday the more they ate s**t.....Ablett was a star.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fell over Scomo at the MCG, fresh from speaking in tongues. Which AFL team does he actually barrack for?
Staying in an Adelaide Hotel once for the cricket, I entered the wrong lift, soaking wet from the pool. Had a lovely chat with John and Jeanette Howard while the security guy glowered at me. Fair dinkum, these guys would stalk anyone for their vote, especially Hawthorn supporters and Corrangamite dwellers.

Channel 7 reporting in the news promo "Coming up: Why Geelong fans joined in booing Gary Ablett".

Did that really happen?

Channel 7 reporting in the news promo "Coming up: Why Geelong fans joined in booing Gary Ablett".

Did that really happen?
I bet it’s the Jeff Kennett story. He claims Geelong supporters were booing GAJ.

2 from 2 at the G.

For years many said our gameplan couldn't hold up on the larger ground, and there was certainly a case to support that.

It's only a small sample but it appears one issue among many that seems to have been addressed.

It still doesn't hold up on the big grounds.

We beat the Pies in round 1 which means nothing (basically a preseason game)
We got pushed hard by a Hawks team with a quarter of their best 22 out, they had to play Gunston back they were that depleted.

The same problems still exist and we will be exposed against the Bombers in 2 weeks.

It still doesn't hold up on the big grounds.

We beat the Pies in round 1 which means nothing (basically a preseason game)
We got pushed hard by a Hawks team with a quarter of their best 22 out, they had to play Gunston back they were that depleted.

The same problems still exist and we will be exposed against the Bombers in 2 weeks.

Ever the optimist.

If we'd lost to Collingwood, your opinion wouldn't be that it was a meaningless game.

It's Geelong and Hawthorn, if any regular fan has learnt anything from the past decade, they would know form and personnel often count for nothing in these games. We got pushed and pushed back harder to win comfortably. These games are never easy to win, not many are at this level anymore.

As I said, it's a small sample, but you can only beat who you play, and we've done it twice. We're only five weeks in to the season, there is still plenty to work on, but we're 4-1 and top of the ladder. If you can't be happy with that after our tough start to the year, when can you be happy?

I suspect it's going to be another season of goalpost shifting from yourself.

Buzza didn’t play in the VFL apparently. Maybe he was being rested? Abbot BOG in the VFL so he is another change, Fort too. Seriously, I think the club is doing Ratugolea a disservice by continuing to play him and take out whatever remaining confidence he has.
Esava seems chock full of confidence, that screamer in the last is one illustration. He is slowly improving. With our varied options of goal kickers we can actually afford to keep him in, if we want to. Next week our tall forwards will face McGovern, the best mark in the business, the obvious tactic is to try and keep the ball low when kicking into the forward line, also getting it forward as fast as possible to avoid McGovern's intercepts. I don't mind keeping Sav for another game or two, or alternatively bringing in Abbott to play ruck/forward with Stanley, it's all good.

I'd be surprised if anyone was happy with that game. (Haven't read the thread yet)
4 points aside, it was a pretty bloody poor effort.

We were as flat as pancakes mostly.
Bring that against the Eagles and it's good night nurse.
Yeah we were thrashed. We're all so disappointed, perhaps we should sack Scott now rather than wait for the inevitable if we keep getting thrashed like that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back