Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about their picks either, but didn't they go hard with the likes of Wingard, O'Meara and Patton?
15, 35 and Burton for Wingard. He showed his worth on Monday, but I'm not sold it was a good deal.

Pick 10 (2016) and pick somewhere in the top 20 (2017) for O'Meara - probably paying dividends.

They got Patton for peanuts, and the return is comparable.

I don't see how the culture around causing needless head injuries will change if the Club doesn't make a stand. In their own way, Brisbane Doctors drew that line on Neale, and ensured the Rohan suspension. In my world, so be it, if lessons are to be learned.

Every man/woman and their dogs have scoffed at the Hartigan penalty- has there been a peep out of Catland to object?

It's the antique secret code at work, no lagging, bounce back up, no diving. Tough game, no complaining until you can't remember what day it is, like Polly and Diesel Williams and John Barnes. The same despicable tacit approval put forward by the cavemen we call commentators. Absolute farce they called in D Frawley as a heroic example of such thuggery, given his mental health history and premature passing. If the AFL says those days are gone, then mean it, and Geelong FC-follow up!

There were some here who defended the AFL's interpretation of the Rohan incident.

I'd be interested in their opinion of the AFL's decision re: Hartigan.

Disgraceful.

A blatant and deliberate fist to the head. To say it wasn't intentional is laughable. It could be argued that it was worse than Rohan's indiscretion..

Rohan's though was behind the play. Hartigan's was late.

Hartigan deserved a week in my view. It wasn't a good look.

I think we need our own grading system. We can call it the Geelong Integrity System or GIS.

In this case the action is Intentional Low Act....High Contact....Not strong enough to Knock Out.
2 Weeks down to 1 with a written apology and $1000 donation to Concusion Australia.

AFL decision graded Intentional Manipulation section 3.2 revision 2a..... The AFL shall always try to manipulate decisions especially whenever Geelong Football Club is mentioned.

Remember it well...
and that style was resorted to in 2nd half of 2020 GF when the game was there for the winning and was comprehensively smashed.

Yes - agree that we need to find a way to bank wins, but see that style is the default ‘backs to the wall’ style - and it will ultimately end in tears. I think that tarnishes the win for many of us.

Please, the second half of the grand final was not about us changing our style. It was about Dusty going nuts and putting us onto the back foot. There was not much at all that went wrong for them.

I don't see how the culture around causing needless head injuries will change if the Club doesn't make a stand. In their own way, Brisbane Doctors drew that line on Neale, and ensured the Rohan suspension. In my world, so be it, if lessons are to be learned.

Every man/woman and their dogs have scoffed at the Hartigan penalty- has there been a peep out of Catland to object?

It's the antique secret code at work, no lagging, bounce back up, no diving. Tough game, no complaining until you can't remember what day it is, like Polly and Diesel Williams and John Barnes. The same despicable tacit approval put forward by the cavemen we call commentators. Absolute farce they called in D Frawley as a heroic example of such thuggery, given his mental health history and premature passing. If the AFL says those days are gone, then mean it, and Geelong FC-follow up!
Yes, Geelong needs to be much more litigious.

Should have given him a feather duster to the head.
Honestly, yes. Can't imagine Vossy, CS, BS, Lynch etc not lining him up when they realised that he was starting to run amok. Richmond (Cotchin) does it all the time and they arrest the momentum of other teams.

That was literally the only way to hit the brakes on them. Danger did his part and nailed vlastuin.

The acting by the players, and governance by the AFL, is becoming as soft and laughable as soccer.
Loved how Tommy just got up , rubbed his head and walked up to the goalsquare.
No doubt it would have hurt but no way he gives Hartigan the satisfaction of knowing that.
Irony is of Tommy goes down and flops like many others Hartigan probably gets his charge upgraded and gets a holiday - still - "We play the game as it should be played"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved how Tommy just got up , rubbed his head and walked up to the goalsquare.
No doubt it would have hurt but no way he gives Hartigan the satisfaction of knowing that.
Irony is of Tommy goes down and flops like many others Hartigan probably gets his charge upgraded and gets a holiday - still - "We play the game as it should be played"

Exactly as you said, the bolded is likely what saved Hartigan from a holiday

Same as last years encounter between Geelong & Hawthorn with the tackle by Burgoyne on Dangerfield - it was a heavy tackle, didn't look good but Dangerfield got back to his feet pretty quickly & play out the game. Clearly looked to be a heavier tackle than the one on Kreuzer that saw Dangerfield miss a game

Not sure if our guys are too tough, but their want or desire to play on & to not go to the bench for treatment unless necessary etc, does seem to help the opposition when it comes to the MRO

Unpopular opinion: Watching it live, the replay on the big screen and again at home. Saw little worthy of a suspension.

Agreed in times by, BUT.......the AFL loudly and clearly said that the head is now sancrosanct, and their highest priority.

Hartigan deliberately hit Hawkins to the head, and was VERY late with the action.

That it did not cause injury has no bearing. See Exhibit A - the suspension of Rohan.

It's a clear double standard by the AFL, and demonstrates the insincerity of their words. THAT is the frustration.

Agreed in times by, BUT.......the AFL loudly and clearly said that the head is now sancrosanct, and their highest priority.

Hartigan deliberately hit Hawkins to the head, and was VERY late with the action.

That it did not cause injury has no bearing. See Exhibit A - the suspension of Rohan.

It's a clear double standard by the AFL, and demonstrates the insincerity of their words. THAT is the frustration.
They only care about the outcome , had Hawkins been concussed then they would had no choice but to act on it

Unpopular opinion: Watching it live, the replay on the big screen and again at home. Saw little worthy of a suspension.
Some opinions are unpopular for good reason.

Except the Rohan suspension came as a result of the Brisbane medical report which indicated issues Neale was having as a result of the hit from Rohan, such as sore jaw and difficulties eating - hence the high contact and medium impact

So the claim would be that there was an impact from the hit by Rohan and that justifies the suspension

Except the Rohan suspension came as a result of the Brisbane medical report which indicated issues Neale was having as a result of the hit from Rohan, such as sore jaw and difficulties eating - hence the high contact and medium impact

So the claim would be that there was an impact from the hit by Rohan and that justifies the suspension

Yet the evidence didn't support the medical report.

He received no medical attention on-field, and played out the rest of the game without any inconvenience. He played out another full match just a few days later too.

True, and therein lays the cause of frustration for people like me.

Their governance has about as much method as russian roulette.
$$$$ that’s all they care about , if an action causes a potential libability down the track they will take action on it to claim down the road that they tried to implement change through suspension ect ect

they don’t care how they look with their inconsistency

True, and therein lays the cause of frustration for people like me.

Their governance has about as much method as russian roulette.

Has way more method than Russian Roulette, though. The all-powerful AFL leaves nothing to chance. Every single decision is manufactured and manipulated to within an inch of its life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back