Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

We seem to play our best footy when our backs are against the wall. We flick a switch and the style changes. Its a trend for this year, see games versus Hawthorn, Carlton, and Suns.

Last night we started the game with the chip around, short kick, precise football, which wasn't working. We seemed to change tack halfway through the 2nd quarter to a more crash and bash, contested style and the results speak for themselves.

Acknowledging that this style is more taxing, it would be good to see this style in place from the start of the game. Or is this style only able to be used, psychologically, when they do have their backs against the wall?

I'd also like to think that with a bit more experience and confidence at the level, he could also hurt sides on the scoreboard in the AFL.

He's still getting pushed aside a bit by the bigger bodies, but is at least making up for it on the ground.

Those extra kilos of muscle he put on over the off season has really helped him. He's no longer a total beanpole now. Could use another 5kg of muscle though.

Not entirely sure about the Clark positional question in the long term. But I think you're absolutely right about Jordan's prospects of senior footy in 2020, at the very least.

Further injuries aside, I don't see him breaking into the back 'seven' at this point. And that's before you even consider getting our AA defender back in there somewhere when he's right to go.

I think he's a good replacement for Duncan on the wing. Fair chance that happens next week too.

Correct I did mean narkle. Rohan I expect a fine for the second incident

It was almost like he got reported for the two incidents in close succession adding up. Neither incident was reportable in itself.

If he had caught the ball it would have been a mark. He missed it so a free kick was correctly given, but the report should be overruled.

1594346412733.png

With Parfitt emerging as a quality mid fielder are we missing Tim Kelly.? Is Tim Kelly really a star and complete footballer? Is Parfitt better? I say Parfitt wins more contested ball and does more pressure acts, as good and better. To get high draft picks is overs for Tim Kelly. Not missing Tim !!

loved watching Kelly in action but I reckon Parfitt gives our midfield a nice edge defensively, and he is still improving - one of my faves for sure.

I know that Stewart is virtually a lock to return once recovered from his current injury, but not sure a player like Clark is going to find it easy to break into the back 6/7 that has been playing alongside each other over recent weeks
Since the restart we have conceded the following scores:
Hawks - 47
Blues - 79
Demons - 44
Suns - 52
Lions - 46

Surely that makes it hard to displace anyone from the current defensive unit - unless there's an injury or management need

Clarks best way of breaking back into the side may be replacing one of Duncan or Narkle who'd you'd expect to miss a week or 2, and have him slot into the wing spot he played for a good amount of last season

im in the ‘prefer Clark as a winger’ camp C09, so I’d be happy to see him squeezed out of the defensive mix ..

I know that Stewart is virtually a lock to return once recovered from his current injury, but not sure a player like Clark is going to find it easy to break into the back 6/7 that has been playing alongside each other over recent weeks
Hawks - 47
Blues - 79
Demons - 44
Suns - 52
Lions - 46

Surely that makes it hard to displace anyone from the current defensive unit - unless there's an injury or management need

Clarks best way of breaking back into the side may be replacing one of Duncan or Narkle who'd you'd expect to miss a week or 2, and have him slot into the wing spot he played for a good amount of last season
I wouldn’t mind Clark for Duncan but I suspect he will play next week

Not entirely sure about the Clark positional question in the long term. But I think you're absolutely right about Jordan's prospects of senior footy in 2020, at the very least.

Further injuries aside, I don't see him breaking into the back 'seven' at this point. And that's before you even consider getting our AA defender back in there somewhere when he's right to go.

Long term I think he's an ideal candidate to replace Tuohy - both like to go for a run with the ball and have a booming kick which can be really important coming out of defence

But I don't mind him on the wing, where he run and use his pace as an attacking weapon to provide some drive

But it's a great situation to be in when players are fighting for spots

im in the ‘prefer Clark as a winger’ camp C09, so I’d be happy to see him squeezed out of the defensive mix ..
Same - I'm not completely sold on him as a small defender, I think we have better options in that position

But give him freedom to run the wing and I think it's more beneficial for him and the team

Faaark there’s a name from a long time ago. Was my primary school teacher for a short while...way before the nineties.

I always associate Tommy with Neville Bruns because they were about the same size and started at the same time.

Of course one went on to become one of the Cats' all-time greats and the other didn't.

It was good seeing a Bews, Ablett and Simpson in the same side again.

That reminds me.....hasn't drawn many accolades, but Jed Bews deserves a mention. He's hard, he runs all day, and locks down the best smalls in the business. Very underrated IMO....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way we played in the 2nd half isn’t sustainable for a season, very taxing but we just proved that we have that in our arsenal, we ‘can’ play footy that wins flags, what we showed in that 3rd quarter is how we need to be come finals.

Our best is good enough, just need to time that run.

That reminds me.....hasn't drawn many accolades, but Jed Bews deserves a mention. He's hard, he runs all day, and locks down the best smalls in the business. Very underrated IMO....
I think he spent most of last night on our old mate Linc McCarthy, while O'Connor was given the task of playing on Cameron - considering there's been a belief that we can struggle to keep opposition small forwards in check, these 2 seem to be forming a formidable small defender partnership to counter that idea

McCarthy: 5 disposals, 5 tackles, 1 clearance & 4 clangers was the extent of his impact
Cameron: 6 disposals, 1 goal, 1 tackle & 1 clanger had slightly more impact

Compare that with our guys
Bews: 11 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances & 1 clanger
O'Connor: 12 disposals, 2 tackles & 0 clangers

Yep, happy to back our guys in

I look forward to his inclusion next week :)
You were right on Cameron - so maybe you'll be right with this prediction

What's the chance we'll also see Parsons get a run?

I think he spent most of last night on our old mate Linc McCarthy, while O'Connor was given the task of playing on Cameron - considering there's been a belief that we can struggle to keep opposition small forwards in check, these 2 seem to be forming a formidable small defender partnership to counter that idea

McCarthy: 5 disposals, 5 tackles, 1 clearance & 4 clangers was the extent of his impact
Cameron: 6 disposals, 1 goal, 1 tackle & 1 clanger had slightly more impact

Compare that with our guys
Bews: 11 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances & 1 clanger
O'Connor: 12 disposals, 2 tackles & 0 clangers

Yep, happy to back our guys in
Generous. The kick to Kolo that led to Cameron’s goal was atrocious but won’t ever count as a clanger

Generous. The kick to Kolo that led to Cameron’s goal was atrocious but won’t ever count as a clanger
I'm not being generous - the official stat takers are...

There's 2 clangers recorded against Kolo, so that may be one

The way we played in the 2nd half isn’t sustainable for a season, very taxing but we just proved that we have that in our arsenal, we ‘can’ play footy that wins flags, what we showed in that 3rd quarter is how we need to be come finals.

Our best is good enough, just need to time that run.

agreed.

Anyone think this chump will dare show his face after posting this pre-game? A take this bad should be ban-worthy tbh.

Happy to put my hand up here too.

After the shaky start he played well.

The turnaround of the whole team was amazing. Looked like we were going to get stomped on by 10 goals there in the second quarter, then 8+ straight or whatever from nowhere, and all with two players down as well.

Haven't been confident this season at all but the Perth Hub will make things a lot clearer.

Watched the replay. Sean Simpson was good in close. Smart HB to advantage. Not super athletic with twich fibres. Cant see him in marking contests. But a inside foot soldier with work ethic. Respect that he has improved his game. The worn out phrase " does his role ". Back up player.

Hawks - 47
Blues - 79
Demons - 44
Suns - 52
Lions - 46

And the good thing is unlike other parts of our team, the age profile of the group who have achieved that bodes well for our future. Aside from Harry (34), we have:

Henry (21)
O'Connor (23)
Kolo (24)
Bews (26)
Stewart (27)
Blitz (29)
+ Clark (19) waiting in the wings

It's the one part of the ground where we don't have multiple 30+ year olds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back