goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Long term I think he's an ideal candidate to replace Tuohy - both like to go for a run with the ball and have a booming kick which can be really important coming out of defence

But I don't mind him on the wing, where he run and use his pace as an attacking weapon to provide some drive

But it's a great situation to be in when players are fighting for spots

He's got attributes that fit well with both roles. And team balance could well end up dictating where he has to be used to optimise the benefit to the team.

In the end, though, I see so much upside in his flair, dash and attacking mindset that I would probably prefer to have him belting it inside 50 incessantly rather than repelling repeated D50 entries.

Watched the replay. Sean Simpson was good in close. Smart HB to advantage. Not super athletic with twich fibres. Cant see him in marking contests. But a inside foot soldier with work ethic. Respect that he has improved his game. The worn out phrase " does his role ". Back up player.

A 27 possession "back up player" will do me thanks.....

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Some commentators are just sick to death of seeing blue and white year in year out.

I was thinking about this the other day and I would be. If we were another team I would think they can * right off cause I am totally sick of them. A couple of my mates almost hate Geelong now. The are reasonable considerate footy fans who have just had enough of seeing us always up there. Literally every single year!! It is quite amazing and a credit to the club!! Since 2007 we have been the best club in the game, then Hawthorn and then it's not close maybe Sydney. Go Catters.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I was thinking about this the other day and I would be. If we were another team I would think they can fu** right off cause I am totally sick of them. A couple of my mates almost hate Geelong now. The are reasonable considerate footy fans who have just had enough of seeing us always up there. Literally every single year!! It is quite amazing and a credit to the club!! Since 2007 we have been the best club in the game, then Hawthorn and then it's not close maybe Sydney. Go Catters.
Hawthorn have won more flags so they've been better. Geelong only had one premiership period during that time while Hawthorn had two. Geelong have hung around the top of the ladder but not been a threat in finals.

And the good thing is unlike other parts of our team, the age profile of the group who have achieved that bodes well for our future. Aside from Harry (34), we have:

Henry (21)
O'Connor (23)
Kolo (24)
Bews (26)
Stewart (27)
Blitz (29)
+ Clark (19) waiting in the wings

It's the one part of the ground where we don't have multiple 30+ year olds.
Weird unit the misfits.

Henry, Bews, Blicavs, Tuohy and Taylor have copped a lot of flak the last 12 months and being in one of the stiffest defences it is largely unwarranted

One of the other kids kept locked in the basement with Simpson

Rated on games played over a year ago...hasn't been selected since. Rather than complaining about it, the focus should be on why.....please leave the "Scott doesn't like him", "doesn't wash Scott's car well enough" meme's at the door.

Yesterdays game shows we should have been whining over Simpson's non selection rather than Constables....

Not you, but there were a few here denigrating the Simpson selection, demeaning his abilities and saying what a joke it was that he was selected before CC....

the Simpson performance shows if you do enough in 2020, you'll get your chance. Clearly Simpson deserved his chance..27 possessions kills any argument to the contrary......

....lets hope CC can grasp his chance as well as Simpson....if and when he gets his chance. And he will get his chance in Perth I expect.

Personally, I want to see Clark back first...

We seem to play our best footy when our backs are against the wall. We flick a switch and the style changes. Its a trend for this year, see games versus Hawthorn, Carlton, and Suns.

Last night we started the game with the chip around, short kick, precise football, which wasn't working. We seemed to change tack halfway through the 2nd quarter to a more crash and bash, contested style and the results speak for themselves.

Acknowledging that this style is more taxing, it would be good to see this style in place from the start of the game. Or is this style only able to be used, psychologically, when they do have their backs against the wall?
Yes we play well as underdogs. Unfortunately we’ll be favourite probably this week. Collingwood games usually go to the underdog in last few years.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Bruce just cannot shut up.
Watched a game from years ago and he was commentating -sounded like a different guy.
Measured and astute

Now he is just a joke with verbal diarrhoea.
Ironically He is the sad old guy who needs to call it a day.

Agree with everything, except that he was once measured and astute. Just my view but I have never liked his commentary at all. Always overdoing it with the fake sincerity, and his "gee aren't they special", and his even more cringeworthy sucking up to ex-players.

Newsflash Bruce - some of us have been watching footy a long time. Even before you started infecting the airwaves. I don't need you to tell me what's good and bad.

He's horrendous. It's just that with Taylor and Russell and others he's not quite the worst.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Have a look at the Richmond board and the noticeable tone change of posts from the start to finish.

You'll immediately feel 10 times dumber after reading it though.

That was really unpleasant to read. Just a vomit of hate and envy. I don’t think ours reads like that at all. How soon they forget where they were for decades before 2017.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I hadn't noticed during the game but we did incredibly well without Stewart.

It's not surprising, per se, our defence is the strongest part of the team, bit his absence was something I'd totally forgotten about
Like the first part of last year, the defense works much better when they are desperate, under-the-gun, and uncomfortable. They play on instinct, athleticism, and natural aggression.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Rated on games played over a year ago...hasn't been selected since. Rather than complaining about it, the focus should be on why.....please leave the "Scott doesn't like him", "doesn't wash Scott's car well enough" meme's at the door.

Yesterdays game shows we should have been whining over Simpson's non selection rather than Constables....

Not you, but there were a few here denigrating the Simpson selection, demeaning his abilities and saying what a joke it was that he was selected before CC....

the Simpson performance shows if you do enough in 2020, you'll get your chance. Clearly Simpson deserved his chance..27 possessions kills any argument to the contrary......

....lets hope CC can grasp his chance as well as Simpson....if and when he gets his chance. And he will get his chance in Perth I expect.

Personally, I want to see Clark back first...

Yep.

Some were denigrating him, and some bundled all our kids in one and said they're obviously just not good enough or they'd be getting a game.

Yet he came in and did what he did.

The kids just need to be given a chance. I'd love to see both Clark and CC in with Simpson too.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
A 27 possession "back up player" will do me thanks.....

He ended up doing a lot of things well on the night. But finding the footy so often was actually just about the most pleasing part for me. Got involved all over the ground right throughout the game. And put his head over the ball consistently in the heat of the contest.

Hard to think how a young player who was coming from such a 'drought' of senior footy could have been more impressive, really. And the unfortunate absence of Mitch and Quinton gave him even more opportunity to showcase his inside ability.

Yet another rookie list revelation just might be emerging here.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep.

Some were denigrating him, and some bundled all our kids in one and said they're obviously just not good enough or they'd be getting a game.

Yet he came in and did what he did.

The kids just need to be given a chance. I'd love to see both Clark and CC in with Simpson too.

I'd never seen enough of Simpson so had absolutely no idea beforehand.

So I don't get to bask in the pleasure of "well I always advocated for his inclusion". Ended up being a nice surprise that a young player did well. Imagine that.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd never seen enough of Simpson so had absolutely no idea beforehand.

So I don't get to bask in the pleasure of "well I always advocated for his inclusion". Ended up being a nice surprise that a young player did well. Imagine that.

I certainly haven't advocated for his inclusion, but I was pleased he was given the opportunity and have always thought he had ability. And it was certainly a nice suprise for me how well he played (and, I would say, for almost everyone).

But none of us should get carried away. It's just one game. He's got a long way to go.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with everything, except that he was once measured and astute. Just my view but I have never liked his commentary at all. Always overdoing it with the fake sincerity, and his "gee aren't they special", and his even more cringeworthy sucking up to ex-players.
Newsflash Bruce - some of us have been watching footy a long time. Even before you started infecting the airwaves. I don't need you to tell me what's good and bad.
He's horrendous. It's just that with Taylor and Russell and others he's not quite the worst.
I was trying to be kind I guess.
I never thought he was that good but I was surprised when I watched this old footage. Maybe I should have said much less cringeworthy.
Dwayne Russell is heading in the same direction, from passable to excruciating

Back