Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by us at "home" in Sydney

Lots of issues to work on early but hung fat and got home easy in the end.

Everyone did well on the that one

Credit to Simmo with 26 plus touches. Worked hard all game and played like he belongs there.

Sel, PFD, Rohan, Fort, Sav.... great games

Good away win on a 5 day break

Did it with 2 down for 3/4 of the game

And credit the coaches - showed we have 2 game styles and took down the flying team of the comp this week.

Go Catters

Gee what a bloody good win!
What’s impressed me the most is the pressure we have applied and how physical we have been since that Carlton loss. Great depth too.
Also reckon Fort has cemented the ruck for now and Simpson stays in for a while, Narkle will have to earn that spot back ( nothing wrong with that). Sit back and enjoy the rest of the round boys and girls:). Btw Ch 7 sucks miss Ch 10 so much

Last edited:

Very, very gutsy win from the boys tonight.

Seriously impressed with Simpson. That boy can play. Hats off to Dangerfield for his return to form - time away from home might be helpful. Hats off also to Menegola who has made a real impact these past few weeks. Rohan played with the ferocity we saw from him early last year and it paid dividends.

Performances like this make you believe again.

Big effort to fight back and steamroll them two down.
Big win leading into our Perth exile.

Simpson brilliant.
Danger, Selwood, Fort and Ablett great too.

Jansen 200 or long spiel about how the Lions would be far too good for us as the worst bob call?

Fantastic win against a top team with only 2 on the bench after the first quarter.
Our leaders really stood up - Danger, Selwood, Hawkins, Blicavs
Menegola and Simpson were fantastic
Fort great game, did some nice ruck work and was good on the ground and got some good clearances
Rohan was a madman possessed and did some great things
Very happy all round, lets hope the injuries aren't too bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone told me halfway through the 2nd quarter when we were 22 points down with only one goal on the board and Narkle and Duncan on the bench we'd end up winning by 27 points, I'd have been looking to have them committed to an insane asylum.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than it was extremely watchable and enjoyable.

Honestly, even early in the game when we were down on the scoreboard I thought we looked more intense than we usually do.
After the loss to (I think) Carlton, Chris Scott talked about that extra attention to detail that often proved so vital in establishing dominance over an opposition. I think he would have been content on that front tonight, despite some sloppy execution early on.

The Lions did have a strong patch in the first half, but I thought they were aided by some marginal umpiring decisions at times - and they're good enough that they don't need that kind of assistance.

Scott may look for the team playing that 'extra 6 inches' closer to their opponents, but what I saw was a team that didn't seem so hung up on their Process and instead played with passion and dare. The 'process' part of their game must be ingrained by now anyway, surely - the instinctual has been sacrificed and neglected on the road to drilling the predictable percentage plays into this squad, but tonight the 22 (or 20) got back in touch with their ability to play the game without rigidity.

Lauding individuals is a bit counter-intuitive in a win like this; we needed all 20 players to contribute significantly tonight, and they did to a man.
Nevertheless there were some stand-out efforts.

- At the conclusion of 2019 I didn't think Darcy Fort had any future as an AFL footballer, and yet he has shown over the past few weeks that he wants it. I suspected Stefan Martin might intimidate him tonight, but Fort continually worked for position at the throw-ins and buttered up effectively at the centre bounces.

- I've said before that the margin between a good Gary Rohan game and a bad Gary Rohan game is as thin as a cigarette paper; tonight he caused all sorts of mischief, even managing to get himself booked. I haven't seen accelerating hoops like him since Wojak.

- Cam Guthrie was huge in the 3rd quarter and a big part of our change in fortunes.

- Sam Menegola and Mark Blicavs, often lauded for their fitness and yet questioned for their nous, showed that - occasionally - a surplus of the former can supply a lack in the latter. Both were able to approach contest after contest without the spectre of fatigue affecting their execution or decision-making.
Menegola looked positively serene out there at times, wandering around absent-mindedly with ball in hand yet finding targets and gaining meters all the while. Loovs a goal.

- Sam Simpson started the game looking like he hadn't played at the level for 2 years, but was really solid in the 2nd half and looks in very good nick. Kudos.

- The backline looked as cohesive as it has all year against a dangerous Brisbane attack; all our defenders took their turn in absorbing pressure and then providing some rebound. Harry Taylor had Eric Hipster under control, Bews and O'Connor contained a brooding Cameron and a too-cordial McCarthy.

By the end of the game the Lions looked thoroughly shaken by our pressure, they were fumbling and jumping at shadows.

I've enjoyed the Ch7 crowd effects for the most part; made a huge difference after the ghostly round 1 silence - but tonight was a bit incogruous for the first half; I couldn't quite buy that these two teams would draw an ANZAC-day like crowd.
However as our team piled on the pressure, and the goals started to pile up in the third quarter, the canned roar could not have more accurately reflected the stirring of a love for the game buried deep within this jaded old fan.

Last edited:
Sam Simpson the leading disposal winner on the ground. Found more of the footy than Dangerfield and Neale. 🤣

Massive props to the young bloke.
I had to go edit my opening post..I knew Simmo did well.. but BOG touches... thats awesone

GO CAtters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back