Review Geelong defeats Lions by 40 points for a GRAND FINAL BERTH in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Geelong. Better team won. Was a good spectacle. Obviously hope we do better next year. But I hope you do well next week. Good luck.
Lions on the right path. Fagan is great.

Congrats to your boys. Should be super proud of the effort last night. To go through so many losing prelims and to still have the want to win one is a credit to the players, coaching staff and all club officials. Such a well run machine, and hopefully one Fages and co are looking to emulate.

Will be cheering on the Cats next week. I'm a secret Danger admirer so I really hope they get it done for him!

Thanks heaps mate, don’t think I’m
Alone in saying we rate Brisbane highly and I hope that they are back there at the business end next year. Good side, good players, good fans, and good luck to take the next step

Lions on the right path. Fagan is great.
Yeh I think we are still adjusting to expectation and how fast the game gets in the big games. We were bulldozed in the middle.

I was questioned on our board when I said we baulked first bringing in Yoleman. Bringing in another bigger body to play against Geelong IMO was a mistake. When for the past 3 years Fagan has never really changed a winning team. He normally just says back our system. And Keidan Coleman was apart of that.

Not saying we would have won if we stuck to our guns. But certainly hurt our pressure on the ball carrier. Gardiner out was another big one.

Birchall, Robinson and Martin have almost fell off the cliff. Didn't perform like Geelongs older troops. They may not feature much next season. Zorko doesn't seem to have the ability to step up to the next level in these big games. That may come. May not.

What a club! What an amazing football club.

Last night was a triumph for the persistence in remaining competitive each year. It was a reward for continuing to believe and have faith in your system and the players within that system. It was also a triumph for a lot of unheralded players who have had their critics for a long time.

It was Jack Henry after an awful first final redeeming himself with a big contested mark and an important goal in the 3rd quarter. It was Gryan Miers after fluffing an easy mark in the second going back and kicking a huge set shot in the last. It was Jake Kolodjashnij completely shutting Charlie Cameron out after quarter time, it was a midfield who were so reliant on the skipper and PFD taking control without the influence of those two players. It was Lachie Henderson continuing to dominate after looking like he was on the scrapheap at the end of 2019. It was Sam Simpson and Brandan Parfitt showing their quality in key moments and the way they have blossomed in this finals series. I could go on.

I couldn't be prouder of the way we embraced the hub concept and dealt with all the adversity throughout the year with a steely determination to do themselves and our club proud. This comes from the top and Chris Scott has led this team superbly. But I feel his efforts this year will be judged on what happens next week, and that would be incredibly unfair. He's taken a team seen as too old and not good enough and taken it to our first GF in 9 years. It has been an amazing performance.

We still have one to go and we can't forget that, but last night was a big monkey of our backs. And judging by the muted celebrations, they know the job is not done yet.

Just checking if there has been any updates on Charlie Cameron yet?

Authorities must be becoming increasingly concerned after disappearing in plain sight after quarter time last night.

Stay strong Charlie. I am sure Eric Hipwood, also completely missing after a brief sighting is not far away.

It was Jack Henry after an awful first final redeeming himself with a big contested mark and an important goal in the 3rd quarter. It was Gryan Miers after fluffing an easy mark in the second going back and kicking a huge set shot in the last. It was Jake Kolodjashnij completely shutting Charlie Cameron out after quarter time, it was a midfield who were so reliant on the skipper and PFD taking control without the influence of those two players. It was Lachie Henderson continuing to dominate after looking like he was on the scrapheap at the end of 2019. It was Sam Simpson and Brandan Parfitt showing their quality in key moments and the way they have blossomed in this finals series. I could go on.

Cam Guthrie take a bow. He has been the brunt of many poster's dissatisfaction, including my own at times. His tears after the game are a reminder that these players are human beings. While they should no be above scrutiny, they should not be subject to vitriol. I heard him interviewed on radio this afternoon. He sounds humble and modest.

Menegola was terrific last night. An important part of a well oiled machine that was the Geelong TEAM. Good on you Sam

Dahl might be a lesser link, but looking purely to his disposals is a bad idea.
He's in as a lockdown forward to restrict the half back run of the opposition and he's vitally important to our defensive zone setup. Same as Miers, their ability to cross the ground and run all day is important to our defensive setups.
He COULD be doing more, hence why he is currently our 22nd player, but suggestions of dropping him for Narkle is a bit out there.
Sav maybe, to stretch the height of the tigers backline, but otherwise you go in unchanged, we are going to need Dahls pressure and defensive side across the half forward line.
Good point

Which part of the post didn’t you understand ?

Sorry not sure I was intending to respond to your message. Have no idea. Sometimes that happens when I hit the Tapatalk button at the bottom it picks up the wrong message as the cursor is at a different point than where I think it is. Apologies if it caused any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would someone kindly explain the free kick in Q1 against Cuthrie? Umpire said HTB + Cuthrie said he was trying to fend him off. Umpire said no it wasn’t you tried to fend him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played so well. Can’t fault that game. Where someone fumbled, someone was there to help every time. We are a team full of absolute confidence hitting peak form.
We will give it a shake next week playing like that.

That was definitely true of last night and our premiership era. Great call!!

I'd be interested to see the expected score against the pies.
Plus I point towards the opposition that the tigers faced being wasteful, I dunno about the stats but if you watched the game they were both poor, and both were the "better team" and just couldn't capitalise.
A3012152-AE26-429B-BBA3-0ED21533B3E8.jpeg

Great to see a player that not many rated in Simpson break out and lock in. being in our best 22

Absolutely and he played well again last night. Very focussed as is Danger.

Very nice work from Sel in interview directly after game.

Would someone kindly explain the free kick in Q1 against Cuthrie? Umpire said HTB + Cuthrie said he was trying to fend him off. Umpire said no it wasn’t you tried to fend him off.
I'd guess Guthrie was arguing he was trying to protect himself, while the umpire saw it as trying to break the tackle.

It was a good call - even if frustrating

Guthrie put his arm out to fend off a Lions player but it didn't work, the tackle stuck and Guthrie failed to correctly dispose of the ball

Once a player goes the fend off it's meant to constitute prior opportunity, the player needs to correctly dispose of the ball or it should be a holding the ball free

It was a good call - even if frustrating

Guthrie put his arm out to fend off a Lions player but it didn't work, the tackle stuck and Guthrie failed to correctly dispose of the ball

Once a player goes the fend off it's meant to constitute prior opportunity, the player needs to correctly dispose of the ball or it should be a holding the ball free
Thank you, I wasn’t looking at it from Cuthrie having the Ball, which he obviously did, having watched it again, just now. Blitz tapped the ball to Cuthrie. I thought Lions had possession, which is why I was confused 🤪

Yeh I think we are still adjusting to expectation and how fast the game gets in the big games. We were bulldozed in the middle.

I was questioned on our board when I said we baulked first bringing in Yoleman. Bringing in another bigger body to play against Geelong IMO was a mistake. When for the past 3 years Fagan has never really changed a winning team. He normally just says back our system. And Keidan Coleman was apart of that.

Not saying we would have won if we stuck to our guns. But certainly hurt our pressure on the ball carrier. Gardiner out was another big one.

Birchall, Robinson and Martin have almost fell off the cliff. Didn't perform like Geelongs older troops. They may not feature much next season. Zorko doesn't seem to have the ability to step up to the next level in these big games. That may come. May not.

Lions will step up to next level. Just may take a couple of extra years and painful losses. These are great times to be Lion fans, the team is growing and has already come a long way in a short time.When did Fagan take over?

I wonder if the expectations of playing the Grand Final in home ground and state played a bit on their minds as well.

They also faced a team hell bent on not losing another prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back