Review Geelong defeats Lions by 42 points @ KP - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Admittedly that's not so much a knock on Rance - after all, Geelong have historically done that with its best defender (Scarlett, then Taylor) since 2007 - get Lonergan/Harley/Egan to play on the best forward, and free up Scarlett/Taylor across HB.

Rance may not start on Hawkins, but he will be plan b if Astbury starts to get beaten.

Don't underestimate Rance, by the way. I know that he isn't the tightest-checking defender by nature, but he is the best backman since Scarlett.
From memory Scarlett always played on the full forward or the best or most dangerous forward up till 2010. I remember him destroying any number of top players and setting up attacks from full back. He got the better of or broke even with Buddy in 2008 when Buddy was at his peak. In 2010/11 they shifted Lonergan to play as a 'stopper' on the most dangerous forward and freed up Scarlett to play even more attacking.

From memory Scarlett always played on the full forward or the best or most dangerous forward up till 2010. I remember him destroying any number of top players and setting up attacks from full back. He got the better of or broke even with Buddy in 2008 when Buddy was at his peak. In 2010/11 they shifted Lonergan to play as a 'stopper' on the most dangerous forward and freed up Scarlett to play even more attacking.
Depended on who else was around. 2007 Grand Final (and 2009, that said) he certainly didn't. I think that Franklin was a slightly different kettle of fish - partially because he was so good, and partially because Roughy was the Stay at Home option.

Depended on who else was around. 2007 Grand Final (and 2009, that said) he certainly didn't. I think that Franklin was a slightly different kettle of fish - partially because he was so good, and partially because Roughy was the Stay at Home option.
He did. He played on Westhoff who was full forward, while Tredrea was centre half forward. Milburn played on Treadrea with Bartell dropping back to block the leads. Glad you agree, Franklin was too dangerous so Scarlett was on him both in the h&a game and in the GF. Proves my point.

He did. He played on Westhoff who was full forward, while Tredrea was centre half forward. Milburn played on Treadrea with Bartell dropping back to block the leads. Glad you agree, Franklin was too dangerous so Scarlett was on him both in the h&a game and in the GF. Proves my point.
Westhoff wasn't really a full-forward as such, he was a rangy third tall option and Scarlett was deliberately placed on him to avoid the same situation that occurred in 2004 when Tredrea sacrificed his own game to pull Scarlett away from the action.

Scarlett was, though, effectively the Rance template - when the temperature got too hot for anyone else, he was still the go-to player.

Westhoff wasn't really a full-forward as such, he was a rangy third tall option and Scarlett was deliberately placed on him to avoid the same situation that occurred in 2004 when Tredrea sacrificed his own game to pull Scarlett away from the action.

Scarlett was, though, effectively the Rance template - when the temperature got too hot for anyone else, he was still the go-to player.
Well, I've watched the replay about a dozen times and it's quite clear that Westhoff was playing full forward, or the modern equivalent. Yes Rance is very much like Scarlett in how he is played and how he plays.

Would you like me to post nothing but pleasing thoughts so this board feels a little more comfortable with themselves? Is that the way you operate around here? Observations and opinions can't be posted unless it paints the club in nothing but a positive light? Because it's one thing I have noticed here. And that's another observation and opinion too by the way.

Please don't change a thing about yourself. The last thing I would want is for you to do a 'Bobby'.

As you are a newer poster and you may not know, Bobby was this total loser of a poster who whinged about everything and was completely paranoid about everyone hating on him (he often said that his favourite band was Nickleback, which explains ALOT). Now in alot of ways he and you are very dissimilar, you're a much better poster than that peg-legged guy ever was and the whites of your eyes are no doubt far whiter than his (if you know what I mean)!

Anyway, do your best to keep posting! You really are the BEST! Now as you were saying?

Last edited:

HarryT had Riewoldt in 2009...

Pot-- kettle--
You call it sarcasm; I asked a genuine question.
User join date = now, with top quality posts; I subtly ask if he was a previous user

Totally misunderstood my post....never mind....

Please don't change a thing about yourself. The last thing I would want is for you to do a 'Bobby'.

As you are a newer poster and you may not know, Bobby was this total loser of a poster who whinged about everything and was completely paranoid about everyone hating on him (he often said that his favourite band was Nickleback, which explains ALOT). Now in alot of ways he and you are very dissimilar, you're a much better poster than that peg-legged guy ever was and the whites of your eyes are no doubt far whiter than his (if you know what I mean)!

Anyway, do your best to keep posting! You really are the BEST! Now as you were saying?
I’m taking a stab in the dark here but I doubt the poster is new ;)

But valid points regardless

That is correct, Koschitzke was on Scarlett with obvious orders to take him out of the play, while Riewoldt was to make the play from further up. Didn't work, Harry did a job on Big Nick and Scarlo demolished Koschitzke.
Kos was cooked I think... looking back though it was their small forwards that lost it for them

Kos was cooked I think... looking back though it was their small forwards that lost it for them

Agreed. Still chuckle to myself just thinking about Milne trying to dribble through a goal from 50m out on a sodden MCG.

GEELONG v BRISBANE
10 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
8 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
5 Dayne Beams (BL)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
3 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
1 Darcy Gardiner (BL)

Total Geelong Coaches Votes:
41 Joel Selwood
40 Gary Ablett
39 Patrick Dangerfield
35 Tom Stewart
35 Mitch Duncan
28 Tom Hawkins
26 Tim Kelly
17 Sam Menegola
12 Daniel Menzel
11 Mark Blicavs
10 Brandan Parfitt
5 Jed Bews
5 Jake Kolodjasnij
4 Jack Henry
3 Rhys Stanley
2 Jordan Cunico
2 Esava Ratugolea
1 Zach Touhy
1 George Horlin-Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GEELONG v BRISBANE
10 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
8 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
5 Dayne Beams (BL)
3 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
1 Darcy Gardiner (BL)

41 Joel Selwood
40 Gary Ablett
39 Patrick Dangerfield
35 Tom Stewart
35 Mitch Duncan
28 Tom Hawkins
26 Tim Kelly
17 Sam Menegola
12 Daniel Menzel
11 Mark Blicavs
10 Brandan Parfitt
5 Jed Bews
5 Jake Kolodjasnij
4 Jack Henry
3 Rhys Stanley
2 Jordan Cunico
2 Esava Ratugolea
1 Zach Touhy
1 George Horlin-Smith
Recruiting that Ablett bloke was a disaster.:rolleyes:

GEELONG v BRISBANE
10 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
8 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
5 Dayne Beams (BL)
3 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
1 Darcy Gardiner (BL)

41 Joel Selwood
40 Gary Ablett
39 Patrick Dangerfield
35 Tom Stewart
35 Mitch Duncan
28 Tom Hawkins
26 Tim Kelly
17 Sam Menegola
12 Daniel Menzel
11 Mark Blicavs
10 Brandan Parfitt
5 Jed Bews
5 Jake Kolodjasnij
4 Jack Henry
3 Rhys Stanley
2 Jordan Cunico
2 Esava Ratugolea
1 Zach Touhy
1 George Horlin-Smith
Fagan swallowed something illegal before giving that 1 vote to Gardiner.

Dermott actually found that funny. And the fact that Robinson took Danger out in the centre square with an unsuspecting bump from behind. It’s dirty play that shouldn’t be applauded.

Imagine if Danger got a cracked rib and was out for 4 weeks?

Yeah, but Hodge is a good bloke :rolleyes:

Of course Dermie found it funny, + would whinge about Yates!

Hawks players are thugs + snipers, who intentionally target opposition players!

Clearly, instead of watching games you are waiting in the loo until they are finished. This is a bigger sacrifice than when Jimmy became a tagger for one important game in ‘09. It’s a huge sacrifice Kitty, but I reckon it might just get you your first Carji.

Snork - Drink Spray.gif

I did spend the last 3.5 minutes in the bathroom, returned to see we'd won, but had no idea how, or what had happened. But I've watched the replay about eleventy nine times!

OMG! I'd better begin finding a dress. . .Brynne Edelstein! Tania Buckley! Will you help me find a Carji dress, please?

To be honest, cynical does have a point here - beating a side which is 4 and 13 for the year by seven goals at home isn't exactly a noteworthy performance. It's a decent enough margin to be comfortable, but nothing that really signifies decent improvement, or a side which is going to go deep into September.

And yes, of course the game would have meant something IF we would have lost it. A seven goal win is really neither here nor there.

The counter argument to that is;
1. Very tight comp where on the right day any team can beat another. Rich are flying but got beat by Port-swans by suns-weagles by North
2. We often drop those games
3. We often just win them leaving everyone with a sour taste in mouth.

Instead we beat bris by 7+ goals after tight start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back