Review Geelong defeats Melbourne by 3 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaz Snr and Turner weren’t choir boys and would struggle under the current media obsessed glare these days.

Great player Gaz Snr, but his character leaves a lot to be desired.
Snr's character? Please explain.

Snr's character? Please explain.
Mainly the stories you’d hear about Snr outside the club such as the biker fight and such...that’s what I meant he did have his fair share of incidents outside the club.

The media would had ripped into him if he was playing in the modern age. Don’t get me wrong I love him as a player but he had his fair share of personal issues and incidents.

Mainly the stories you’d hear about Snr outside the club such as the biker fight and such...that’s what I meant he did have his fair share of incidents outside the club.

The media would had ripped into him if he was playing in the modern age. Don’t get me wrong I love him as a player but he had his fair share of personal issues and incidents.
You need to be specific mate because heresay doesn't cut it. I'm sure everyone here has been in some fight of sorts and I'm almost certain none of us are perfect.

You need to be specific mate because heresay doesn't cut it. I'm sure everyone here has been in some fight of sorts and I'm almost certain none of us are perfect .
Not saying any of us are, no need to get angry at me for stating an opnion.

And the stories are out there, I was only pointing out that he wasn’t a choir boy and that with today’s spotlight he would had been hounded much worse than what he was in the past.

Just my opnion

Not saying any of us are, no need to get angry at me for stating an opnion.

And the stories are out there, I was only pointing out that he wasn’t a choir boy and that with today’s spotlight he would had been hounded much worse than what he was in the past.

Just my opnion
He certainly would of been. Not sure how well he would of taken Stevo, Barrett etc hanging out the front of his house. He would've quit footy preety early in his career I'd say.

Last edited:
He certainly would of been. Not how well he would of taken Stevo, Barrett etc hanging out the front of his house. He would've quit footy preety early in his career I'd say.
I suspect he would had been very much like Nathan and walked away early

Can’t blame them I don’t know how anyone can withstand that sort of attention, being in the public/media spotlight like that is the stuff of nightmares for me personally.

Ah, I see! There is a place for swearing, especially at the footy, when having to deal with opposition flogs.

In fact studies have proved that swearing is a sign of more intelligence. Being articulate is necessary for swearing fluency. The number of swear words a person has, is linked with their overall vocabulary, + swearing is intertwined with the experience + expression of feelings + emotions.

Quite the epic game to introduce your son to AFL + Geelong Cats! Selwood's 250th, Gaz's return to Geelong + the blooding of three Kittens! I think it's a game he'll always remember.
******* oath Kitty you *er

Not sure where his position is but I accept I am being harsh. Best and Fairest players should be top of the pile and frankly his football since that win has been second rate. He is still in Geelong's best 22 but he is not in mine..I would prefer Ruggles and he isn't at the club. Just a personal opinion in a football context. He gets in the way a lot stopping our run he is a slow decision maker...JMHO
Don't mention Ruggles. That still shits me.

I suspect he would had been very much like Nathan and walked away early

Can’t blame them I don’t know how anyone can withstand that sort of attention, being in the public/media spotlight like that is the stuff of nightmares for me personally.
For me also. I would feel really trapped and feel like I could never be myself.
Some do enjoy it though and some are smart enough to be able to use it to their advantage.
Nathan certainly wasn't one of those. When he played for Mod if he saw a Geelong addy car pull up he'd just walk off the field.
I actually think there's something kinda noble about shunning attention like that in this day and age. Just wanting to play for playings sake.

Other journos aren't happy with it either. Remember one who used to be a poster here complaining after a Geelong win that he was interviewing a Geelong player when BT just cut in and took over. The other journo wasn't happy about it.
I think most of here think he is a dickhead. Always has a put down for Geelong the town. or the team. * him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fairly sure Ch7 producers have instructed BT to call the way he does to increase general discussion/debate about the show/channel. "The only bad news is no news" or simply clickbait. Look who he used to be paired with, not particularly Mr. Personalities. Look how many 'anti-heroes' there are out there in media and sports. 'It gets their dollars up' and it makes me puke.
The other option since the AFL and its media remoras are hellbent on 'enhancing the experience', and won't be treating the fans as adults, is having a broadcast team of Ling, Watson, and Darcy. :eek:How's that for 2 and a half hours of emptiness.
The broadcast really have to become more professional or give options for adults.
Sorry to go off on a media tangent.:shoutyoldman:
Media remoras. Priceless.

You need to be specific mate because heresay doesn't cut it. I'm sure everyone here has been in some fight of sorts and I'm almost certain none of us are perfect.
Try a hotel room, drugs and a dead girl. Fact not hearsay.

Greatest player I have seen, but a very troubled man. Lovely face to face, but not always so.

Starting to get WAY off base here...
Take that chat somewhere else and keep the review here.

Go Catters

There was one where Sav took too long to give the ball back and was pinged with a 50m penalty. Dusty did exactly the same thing on Thursday night and got away with it.

Typical :rolleyes::shoutyoldman::mad:

I think kelly will now overtake duncan in terms of centre bounce time. He is just better at it then him already. Duncan is more useful on the wing. In any case

Danger, selwood, ablett, kelly, duncan as our top five mids is scary good.

Our Fab Four *swoon*

Just watched the replay and there is so many positives than negatives to take away.

The obvious improvement in the ball movement. It was on the whole, clean and generally precise. There were passages during that first half where it was at times reminiscent of our movement during 2007-11. But it was the players in motion, in waves at times, providing options as we moved down field. And it didn't need to be perfect all the time. As recent years have showed, you just need to get the ball forward to often create something, be it a knock on, or a soccer off the ground. I wish we'd have done it more often in the past few years, well yesterday I noticed a marked increase in the number of times we did it.

Wasn't it superb to watch? The beautifully orchestrated handballing, running along the wing! I was thrilled to see it again.

Have been trying to work out why we lost that from our game, for a few years now. It seems to have been replaced by that 'hot potato', panicked handballing in congested contests. It sh!ts me to tears the way players flick a handball to another player under pressure. I'm always yelling "Just ******* kick it!". I'm sure opposition teams crowd us to force those turnovers.

However, on Sunday, had the shock of my life from Kelly, just like when he put the ball down the throat of Tomahawk in his first game. Kelly was constrained in a very congested contest, managed to get the ball to boot + kicked it to open space. I had to rewind the live game to watch it again! Amazing!

A positive of the game was the way the players created space to allow effective, free flowing handballs. Kelly did that superbly (as said above), which resulted in loose players gathering possession, moving the ball forward with that "reminiscent" ball "movement during 2007-11" - as your said: "His ability to work through traffic is seriously impressive." Need to maintain it this Season.

What baffles me is how Kelly was previously overlooked? How was he missed?

The debutants were all very good with Tim Kelly the standout. We have a player here. His ability to work through traffic is seriously impressive. He's a nice mover and is skills are top notch. He's going to have a nice career if he continues to work and improve. Saw him in the Little River BP service station on the freeway heading back home and if he didn't already know about life as a Cat, in Geelong, he does now. First game and there was no anonymity as fans wished him well and kids posed for photos. And he took it all in his stride.

Sav is going to be a player. He's still raw as anything, but there is plenty to work with. Vice like hands, booming kick, which needs some refining, but the tools are there. Foges is the same. Kicking needs some work, but he's clean and smart with the ball. Didn't shirk an issue all day either.

Wonderful to read about Sav at the Service Station. From his post-game interview, he's a lovely, down to Earth, relaxed bloke + acknowledged what an epic game to debut - Selwood's 250th + Gaz in the Hoops again.

Fogarty's goal was fantastic! A dream debut with 20 Disposals + a goal. Was equal third in Contested Possessions.

All three debutantes contributed, impacting the game! When was the last time three debutantes kicked a goal each?

Everyone played their part and I can forgive the mistakes at the end, as both teams were dead on their feet, unsurprisingly. Few things to work on are the poor tackling numbers and clearances, where we were smashed as Gawn dominated. But if someone offered that result at the start, I'd have snapped it up in an instant.
An excellent post Catman. Enjoy positive posts with rational + reasonable comments.

Oh, and that little bald guy might be a handy acquisition.
Too old?
Too good!
AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Geelong+n9OYEUbeezIl.jpg

Great start to 2018.
Heart stopping game, but an excellent start to the Season.

I thought Murdoch played well. Obviously the most memorable thing he did was the crap out on the full but I can't think of a single player who went without a stuff up of one sort or another. His hardness would be valuable against Hawthorn so I reckon he might be retained.
People always remember one bad thing we do + forget all the good things we do.

(Used to say that to my parents lol)

Interesting considering every tome Melbourne got a free there was Bronx cheers
Really? Couldn't hear that on TV, with BT blabbering away, inanely. Were Geelong supporters blowing those raspberries?

Did hear the booing when Geelong were given free kicks lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back