Review Geelong defeats North by 20 points in a stinker

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not bagging the 2 players in question - because ive played 1st grade nothing

However North havent had much luck this year

Zac Guthrie best on the ground against them and Josh Bruce ( of all players ) kicked 10 goals against them

They must have walked under ladders or something

Zac Guthrie best on the ground against them and Josh Bruce ( of all players ) kicked 10 goals against them

On form since the bye i would put North at around 12th on the ladder they have actually been rather good

Bruce got them at the perfect time when they are just getting used to the new coaches system and young/new players trying to fit in. He didn't kick 10 the second time they faced each other.

On form since the bye i would put North at around 12th on the ladder they have actually been rather good

Bruce got them at the perfect time when they are just getting used to the new coaches system and young/new players trying to fit in. He didn't kick 10 the second time they faced each other.
That is spot on. There is nothing shabby about beating NM by 1 point in Tassie- we did a lot better than that . Both teams missing key players for their respective teams.

Bruce has a stupidly good record against North over recent seasons though
- 10 goals in the first match this year
- 6 goals against them last year
- back in 2019 when playing for St Kilda he kicked 6 goals in a game that North won by 39 points

The team is locked in now, there is no time for Kruger, Zuthrie, Evans or anybody else to cement themselves this year. Really, the only position up for grabs is the ruck one.

It will be:
KPD: Henderson, Kolo, Henry and Blicavs (2nd ruck/KPD)
Def: Bews, Stewart, and Atkins
Mid: Guthrie, Selwood, Parfitt, O'Connor and Danger.
Wings: Menegola, Smith and Touhy
KPF: Hawkins and Cameron
Medium Fwd: Rohan and Danger (Part time)
Small Fwd: Dalhaus & Close

I'm not sure who out of Stanley or Ratugolea takes ruck and I think Duncan takes over from Higgins when he gets healthy. I think given Duncan's knee will likely still be a bit vulnerable, the old Ablett jnr role (which Higgins is butchering) is perfect.
It will be interesting to see what they do with Sav when Cameron comes back in.
I think Stanley has to ruck.

Bruce has a stupidly good record against North over recent seasons though
- 10 goals in the first match this year
- 6 goals against them last year
- back in 2019 when playing for St Kilda he kicked 6 goals in a game that North won by 39 points
From memory he played well against us too. Can’t stand him though 😂

So what people are saying we can not win the flag with out Dahlhaus and Higgins, as we have no other players who can do their job?and our system will break down
I haven't been impressed by Higgins much. But Dahlhaus has done a lot of unsung work over the year and I think his hardness in the contest will be needed in finals. Maybe someone like Evans could do his job if needed, but it's a bit unproven. I agree with whoever (edit: Fred II?) pointed out that Miers is a huge loss as Close seems to be running a bit low on steam.

Last edited:
The biggest positive today was Zuthrie. He obviously can play. Read the ball, intercepted all day, kept marking it and most importantly didn't fold under pressure. He's going to be good. Today was the first time he's shown genuine A+ potential.

On a slightly negative note, I think we need to trade Menegola. This guy is going to be a massive liability come finals. He's a decent skills player, but he looks like Lance Whitnall out there. The speed has totally come out of him and he's a plodder who can't pressure or evade. Too harsh maybe?
Agree on Zuthrie. I recall at last home game he played in seconds and I remember being really impress by how assured he was and his decision making and disposal was spot on. He carried that into his game yesterday.
Also agree on Menegola. He is the slowest player in our side by a long way.

Agree on Zuthrie. I recall at last home game he played in seconds and I remember being really impress by how assured he was and his decision making and disposal was spot on. He carried that into his game yesterday.

The gap between Mengola's best and worst is huge. At his best he is All-Australian level (he just missed out on the team last year). At his worst he is not AFL standard.

Think he may have put on 6kgs but not 6cm.

Looking at the picture side by side with Cam, I'd suggest he's both slightly taller, and slightly heavier than his brother. I'd put it at more like 10-12kg's and 2-3 cm if his listed height and weight of 187cm and 76kgs is what he was drafted at.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over what distance?!

He plays our system well I agree but could Evan’s do the same?
One thing Dahl does that isn’t our system is miss 35 metre set shots regularly - that could hurt in a tight Final, that’s my main worry with him☹
The thing Dahlhaus has over the others competing for the spot is his effort and attack on the contest. He gives 110% of effort week in week out where the others pick and choose. And yes I agree that they can probably finish better. I think the selectors will keep picking him because he gets to the right spots and provides the effort that they love.

Last edited:
The thing Dahlhaus has over the others competing for the spot is his effort and attack on the contest. He gives 110% of effort week in week out where the others pick and choose. And yes I agree that they can probably finish better. I think the selectors will keep picking him because he gets to the right spots and provides the effort that they love.
and he knows how to play in finals

The way results are going with Brisbane having a mare, we're pretty much guaranteed the double chance and MCG first final. Great result with three weeks of the H&A still to go.
Want the Swans to lose as well and that would put us 3 games plus percentage clear of both of them.

Cannot criticise his effort and attack on the ball. Routinely puts his body on the line and gets crunched. Maybe that’s why he looks cooked. He’s beaten up.

It is a concern. He’s useless in front of goal, and we have more than a few who can join him ie danger, stanley, higgins, sav. Potential to kick ourselves out of finals games, just like vs port last year.
Small defenders must fight each other for the chance to play on him.
Just zero hurt factor. Minimal scoreboard impact.
Plus I reckon there is something wrong with his left side/shoulder.
Just watching him run holding that arm close to his side.
If he is injured he should fess up and give somebody else a shot. But I think he realizes he may be superseded in the team.

Last edited:
Seems often to be in cruise mode. Catches him out in finals type games.
Hard to fix that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back