Review Geelong defeats North by 20 points in a stinker

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
little bit further elaboration??
For whom?

There's very little info regarding Henderson; this was from the team announcement Thursday night:

- but the Cats will be without injured key defender Lachie Henderson.
- Out: Lachie Henderson (Injured)

Yes it was an awful game to watch but after winning 11 of the last 12 games, you’d think there’d be more positivity around the joint, no?
That is what Cats supporters are like mate. Don’t win by 10 goals and we are s**t.

On the game itself it was bloody atrocious to watch but happy we won. That’s all that was needed and that’s what happened.

That is what Cats supporters are like mate. Don’t win by 10 goals and we are sh*t.

On the game itself it was bloody atrocious to watch but happy we won. That’s all that was needed and that’s what happened.
They need to understand that footy is different from 2007-2011 you just can’t win by 10 goals 10 weeks a year anymore not even good teams

That is what Cats supporters are like mate. Don’t win by 10 goals and we are sh*t.

even when we win by 10 goals they sook. Every team has those bunch of miserable supporters, not just geelong. There are supporters of Richmond wanting to sack dimma claiming it’s all the assistants and he didn’t ever do anything. What hope does geelong have??

The biggest positive today was Zuthrie. He obviously can play. Read the ball, intercepted all day, kept marking it and most importantly didn't fold under pressure. He's going to be good. Today was the first time he's shown genuine A+ potential.

On a slightly negative note, I think we need to trade Menegola. This guy is going to be a massive liability come finals. He's a decent skills player, but he looks like Lance Whitnall out there. The speed has totally come out of him and he's a plodder who can't pressure or evade. Too harsh maybe?

Zach Guthrie having A+ potential could be the worst call in bigfooty history including anything ever said in bay13. We literally played the wooden spooners today like honestly settle down.

Zuthrie, that is all. BOG for mine. Intercepted, tackled, ran hard and got to the right spots to spoil/make contests - not going anywhere and will be a good player if we persist. Been a very different player every time I've watched him this year, even as far back as the Community series game where he played really well. Has put on a fair bit of size, has decent height, and reads the game well. Also a really good kick. Was worried when we brought him in, but you don't have 28 disposals and the highest ranking points on the ground, if you're playing a s**t game.

Kreuger with a really good first game too. Agree with others, that Higgins can get in the bin. Too soft and adds nothing.

Zach Guthrie having A+ potential could be the worst call in bigfooty history including anything ever said in bay13. We literally played the wooden spooners today like honestly settle down.
You’d think Zuthrie came out and dominated against the bulldogs or something? He played well against the worst team in the league why is everyone frothing at the mouth? We’ve seen him sht the bed time after time against real teams/pressure this game means literally nothing? Am I wrong here wtf is everyone so excited for?

It’s time for you to give up on sport. We won, the guy in question played his first elite level game and you’re just sitting behind a screen trying to incite hatred.

11 out of the last 12 is amazing but it showed today.
Sure North might have parked the bus but that doesn’t excuse missed tackles , fumbling and over running the ground ball- we were only just going today.
Won’t surprise me if we get touched up in one of the remaining 3 and to be honest that won’t bother me too much

It’s time for you to give up on sport. We won, the guy in question played his first elite level game and you’re just sitting behind a computer trying to incite hatred.

lol I’m not trying to incite anything? He played well against a putrid team I just don’t understand the A+ potential talk I’m actually baffled

edit: I’m on my phone not a computer btw wrong again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol I’m not trying to incite anything? He played well against a putrid team I just don’t understand the A+ potential talk I’m actually baffled
How many people have you seen say that Zach Guthrie is going to be an elite player? One?

We are all just praising a very good game from a guy that’s been shat on by just about every supporter at one stage or another.

Chin up mate.

You’d think Zuthrie came out and dominated against the bulldogs or something? He played well against the worst team in the league why is everyone frothing at the mouth? We’ve seen him sht the bed time after time against real teams/pressure this game means literally nothing? Am I wrong here wtf is everyone so excited for?

It's called being objective, you should give it a try.

A large majority of us have called for his head (rightfully) when he doesn't perform. So naturally, when he does perform we acknowledge it and hope it's the start of something.

He's young, he's not a 29 year old finally putting in a decent game. He's 22.

Could be a false dawn, sure. But it also could be the start of something. Try and see that, you'll feel better inside.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Freddy really was just playing for a contract today and now he will get one, just needs more games next year and if we need to rest a backman this year
He did well up the field as well. Could easy play the Blicavs wing role in a few years.

There is a lot of truth in this. 5~6 years ago I was wondering why we were so bad at handballing to advantage, and everyone was lamenting the lack of short kicking skills. Things has swung around a lot. IDK if its the personnel recruited/lost, experience, or training but we are so much better at moving forward quickly or under pressure than before. There were a few instances in 1H today where we did it so instinctively to runners where in the past it was always to stationary or teammates already under pressure. The improvement has been very enjoyable to watch.
I noticed a change in our system around 2018. That year I feel there was a conscious effort to figure out a way to maximise effectiveness of forward entries. But it was a new system that we couldn't execute very effectively for long periods. We would typically seem to struggle under pressure for 3 quarters and then burst the game apart in 15 minutes of blistering football. Prior to that year we were definitely not a possession based team. Quite the opposite. Footskills were one of our weaknesses and we were aiming to get the ball forward and lock it in F50 most times. It reminds me a bit of the hawks who went from a contested ball team (what they called "unsociable football" in 2008) to reinventing themselves as a largely uncontested possession based side from 2013-2015. The lesson I think is that it is worth persisting with new game styles that you think can beat the best, even if they aren't successful at first try.

Absolutely not attacking anyone and I am very thankful for the work the Mods do, but I can't stand the title of this thread and I can't stand the negativity in the thread either. We won!

Anyone would have thought we lost.

How lucky are Geelong that we consider a good victory against an inform opposition at a ground we have literally never played before a "stinker." Once again, not attacking anyone, but different strokes for different folks and I'd rather focus on the good times after a win. That's just my personality and I respect those who think differently.

Today was a battle of defence and our boys stood up. Low scoring games are not considered the best entertainment for obvious reasons, but I personally like when our defenders get a game to shine.

It was our defenders verse their defenders at one of their home grounds and we never looked in doubt of losing.

Our defenders won us the game and it is considered a crap game no one wants to talk about or watch again, but if our forwards had won us the game, we'd all be talking about what a brilliant game it was. Give our defenders some love! Even Zuthrie stood up and no, I don't think that means everyone else sucked. I think that means credit where credit is due and he should be proud.

A year or two ago we'd have dropped this game. It was a huge Danger Game but we never really looked in doubt of losing.

Thank you to our backline boys! I wish you got as much love as the Three Headed Monster! *Kisses*

It's called being objective, you should give it a try.

A large majority of us have called for his head (rightfully) when he doesn't perform. So naturally, when he does perform we acknowledge it and hope it's the start of something.

He's young, he's not a 29 year old finally putting in a decent game. He's 22.

Could be a false dawn, sure. But it also could be the start of something. Try and see that, you'll feel better inside.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I mean I understand we should all support our boys no matter what, but sometimes it’s just being delusional. He’s another GHS, Murdoch, Cowan Lang, Smedts etc etc etc. Quote me on it whenever you want. He’s done well coming off a rookie contract though better than most but it isn’t the start of anything let’s be real.

For f*cks sake mate, pull your head in. This was a high pressure game, and North have not played like a bottom of the ladder team for the past 10 weeks. Christ, they beat West Coast over in Perth, drew with GWS, got within 29 points of the Lions and the Dogs, and smashed Carlton last week.

This was a sh*t game to watch but it was highly contested and there were no easy possessions - hence the dour game and the low scoring. It's not like we wiped them off the park and dominated every facet and he got cheap possessions. He got 28 disposals and had 6 intercept marks in the first half. He also was the highest ranked player on the ground, in both AFL ranking points and fantasy wise - even more than Stewart and his brother.

It was a very good game, and just because you clearly don't think much of him as a player, doesn't change the fact that he had the best game of his career - and genuinely contributed to our win in a hard fought scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back