Review Geelong defeats North by 20 points in a stinker

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahlhaus doesn't do anything that Evans can't do, and early in the season Evans was showing he can also kick goals from 45m+

If Evans is healthy id be "managing" Dahl next week and playing Evans.

Yeah l wish too,..Dahl is a has been, and not a particularly good one at that imo, he's had moments but not enough to hold his spot against youth we should be developing. He's the ideal one to sub out to give a kid like Evans some further experience. You just do it imo, l just don't see or understand the the reluctance either!

Our defenders largely just chipped it around to each other, didnt think any of them overly deserved any praise today.

Stat padding and going nowhere with the footy isn't worthy of the praise we have seen on this thread, we'd have scored alot easier had they actually tried to take the game on out of the back half, easy to flood when you fu** around with it all day long in defence.

How do you stat pad intercept marks because he by any metric took an s**t load of them today?

Higgins looks like he’s slightly in preservation mode, had some injury issues but still looks as he’s building for finals.

IIRC didn’t Zuthrie come in late for a game a few years ago vs an in form GWS & perform admirably.. he has a future with us.

Parfitt looks sore and needs a spell, possibly Close too

yes the game wasn’t great but compared to the pies game a while back it was a classic!

Zuthries best game well done to him!
Commentators can pump up savs efforts all they want, he was nowhere near it today and his goal kicking cant be trusted in a big final.
Typical park the bus type game from a lesser opposition take the win and move on.
It was not a day for forwards. Sav made far more contests inside our forward 50 than Tommy did. As you say take the 4 points and move on.

E7mojRHVEAAszQs

I appreciate the post so don't get me wrong. But can we now add AFL player ratings to just using pure stats as some of the worst ways you could ever judge someone's game or continued overall performance.

By their own metric this farcical system rates Rhys Stanley as having a higher average output than Tom Stewart over the last two years. Surely if your system produces those results it is so obviously flawed in assessing player performance that it shouldn't be used as anything more than passing interest

I dunno about anyone else but ill be f’ed if Danger was on his 2 year average today

I already posted this but this rating system has Rhys Stanley with a higher average rating over the last two years than dual (about to be 3 time in a row) AA Tom Stewart. I think we can put the AFL Player Ratings in the bin now!

Anybody else think that good as he is Tom Stewart generally throws in a couple of terrible disposals that often result in goals every game. Has Menegola lost a yard. He was never quick but he would be the slowest bloke in the side by a fair way.

Anybody else think that good as he is Tom Stewart generally throws in a couple of terrible disposals that often result in goals every game. Has Menegola lost a yard. He was never quick but he would be the slowest bloke in the side by a fair way.

Has Menegola lost a yard?..you tell me, no, looks pretty ripped fit to me, no reason why, .. still racking em up!

Feral bunch on the North board. Posted a harmless bit of info, and just got attacked left, right and centre. Sad state of affairs.

Feral bunch on the North board. Posted a harmless bit of info, and just got attacked left, right and centre. Sad state of affairs.
Well when you have Norf posters like the one below telling us we should be happy with only winning by 20 points and that we were being overly defensive and not Norf parking the back ect you can tell why they are like that
Yeah look, the Cats were too good today but some of you blaming North for the defensive game are off the mark. Both teams played an extra man either around the contest or defence but one team attacked through the corridor and one chipped the ball around looking for openings.

The fact is Geelong clogged up the corridor as that's where North attack so in effect Geelong set up defensively to stifle North and cause turnovers.

To say North was flooding and play a dour game style is incorrect, it was your mob that had to smother us which they did in their true professional way.

Kudos to the Cats, they can adapt to quell the opposition's attacks. Oh and to those who have dismissed this game as ugly or sh*t, are underselling both teams as it was a good game played in trying conditions. There is no shame only beating us by 20 points, we're going alright at the moment.

I would be perma banned if I wrote that kind of crap on any other opposition Board after a loss

Well when you have Norf posters like the one below telling us we should be happy with only winning by 20 points and that we were being overly defensive and not Norf parking the back ect you can tell why they are like that

That's at least a semi-respectable post, which I don't have a problem with. I literally got sworn at, abused and insults thrown at the club and our players, for deigning to post a thing on their board (that was literally just stating how our youth is actually half-decent and this how our team would look in a couple of years - contrary to what they'd said).

Some of the comments are just vicious, and it's really odd to respond so poorly, when their team has been a piece of s**t for the best part of two decades. I could have said that, but instead chose to just cop their BS on the chin.

Apparently you can't invade their little safe space either, because they only like to circle jerk about their delusions, rather than have a discussion with anyone outside their own circle.

F*ck bf is a cesspool sometimes, lol.

Suddenly our U23 depth is looking pretty good. Not good enough to carry the team, but the makings of skeleton for the next build.
At this stage im long term positive on Simpson,Close,Narkle,Kreuger,Sav,parfit and miers. I actually think Simpson has the highest ceiling of them all, even though he hasnt had much senor exposure yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allegedly 5 teams are into him.
not anymore.

3 maybe but that kind of effort gets noticed.

And once you pay a guy... is that fire REALLY still there... see Tim Kelly for eg and ask WC if they got value for $$

Teams will be wary - hes totally worth keeping for us and he offers good things.. but teams paying overs to get him... hmmm scary times.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Oh yeah something else from yesterday was that the Hobart crowd absolutely loved Hawkins. He barely got a kick but the anticipation whenever the ball went near him was a little odd, kind of like with GAJ when he first started playing. We all love Hawk, I just found it peculiar the crowd locked in on Tommy specifically and not so much Selwood or Danger etc.

I would be perma banned if I wrote that kind of crap on any other opposition Board after a loss
He half right though. They did flood back and we did defend through the corridor. Both sides were good at defending, but one had 60 i50s.

I will say that their game plan for yesterday was identical to Sydney's earlier in the year and Sydney did us in. There might be something to this going forward as the way to deal with the new rules.

I actually thought north are coached well and executed well.
Played like we do to an extent.

I’m not that concerned about this being a bad game as the opponent did quite well.
I agree. They did some some things that to me suggest they have an effective structure that will hold up next year

I don't understand the hate for Higgins today. His role is to accumulate touches on a HFF and deliver inside 50, which he did.
Today's criticism of Higgins is, as usual, based on the opinion which the posters have formed about him before the game, rather than on how well he actually performed today in (the very difficult) role as a high half forward

Sensational game by Zuthrie. I confess to continually questioning his place on our list but have been impressed by his improvement this year.
Without getting carried away with a single game - is he close near the best 22? For instance could he take Kolo’s spot? Behind in strength, contested marking and experience but (even before yesterday’s game) I rate him higher on kicking, play reading, ‘calmness under pressure’, agility, ability to play forward and probably equal on speed and tackling ability.

Sensational game by Zuthrie. I confess to continually questioning his place on our list but have been impressed by his improvement this year.
Without getting carried away with a single game - is he close near the best 22? For instance could he take Kolo’s spot? Behind in strength, contested marking and experience but (even before yesterday’s game) I rate him higher on kicking, play reading, ‘calmness under pressure’, agility, ability to play forward and probably equal on speed and tackling ability.
Not even close. Remember how poor his was in rnd 1? And he had another absolute stinker in the first half of the year. One good game out of the 30 he has played doesn’t mean anything until he can stop having those stinkers. Has a hell of a lot more to prove. He’ll probably be dropped next week so might not get another chance to show wether he can sustain it, or wether it was a one off.

I am a Zuthrie appreciator, in fact I rate him, but Kolo is a lock 22 player. Not in your mind maybe, but team selections week after week speak for themselves. ZG is really handy for players like MOC being out, or injuries to others, and Hendo will not last forever. Zuthrie is liked by CS, and it looks to be justified. We need patience, but so does he. Another top 4 position looms, and our team is hard to break into. Bulldogs have the same issues.

Wow, that was an awful game to watch, but what do you expect with North just playing so defensively that the Cats couldn't find any space. Some will say that was good by North, but if your game plan is only to stop the other team then you won't win too many.

On a positive note, Freddy looked like he belonged out there. Zuthrie had the best game I've ever seen him play.

Being negative, Higgins is useless. We play better when he's out.

Take the 4 points and move on.
Totally agree on Higgins - he plays for stats; looks good on the sheet but poor on the field. His defensive efforts were deplorable and his disposal isn’t at all reliable. Holding more deserving players out who have bigger upside. Can find the ball but tends to get them cheaply.

Also agree with your summation of Norf, but not sure we did it much differently ourselves and added to the look of the game. At this stage, I’m not too concerned about look of the game - finding ways to win works for me just now.

Thought Freddy showed plenty - particularly for his height, his speed and intensity in contest were fantastic. Solid future with lots of upside

People can s**t on Zuthrie saying "its just North" and some of that is justified to an extent, but what you can't complain about is most of his intercept marks were going back with the flight of the ball not knowing whats behind him.

You can do that V anyone. So if he keeps that up, the touches become irrelevant when you are an intercept player because besides Stewart they dish off to better skilled players.

If this Zuthrie keeps showing up he will be best 22. The question is WILL this Zuthrie keep showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back