Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen WCE this season? They’ve been unimpressive. Choked away a six goal lead v St Kilda - our supporters would burn down KP if we did that. Last week they had a ho hum home win against a depleted Collingwood.

They will be missing three AA players in Shuey, Hurn and Ryan against us and we will have the strongest lineup we’ve fielded all year.

There are absolutely zero excuses for us to lose to WCE.

Poentially also missing Kennedy depending on his ankle injury

Even if we converted and got the 10 goal win I would say there was some serious issues. The poor conversion was a function of really badly placed entries. We were trying to speed it up but it was rushed and pressured and we consistently kicked it to their outnumber.

How were we that rushed against the worst side in the comp? OK Cameron gives us someone else to kick to and make those entries more effective but if we were that pressured on the entry then do we even get the entries against a good side?

Outside of cunners, who I'm 50% sure was sent from the future to terminate John Connor, they did not have many capable mids. We should have owned the stoppages. How does that look against the dogs?

I understand we are developing a completely new game style on the fly off a short pre-season and poor availability but it still poses questions

My feel is all are lacking buy in. We are playing in dreary way... but its not just the way it looks, the players look like they are less than enthused in what they are doing. It reminds me of eras where club have inner turmoil, where players and coaches have run out of steam, where they have been to the well , the water has dropped its harder and harder to drawn another bucket of energy. To some degree I wonder if we have tuned Da Vinci's into house painters.. there is just so little excitement ..if you live in a bubble for a 100 years... have you lived?

I dont know what we are developing except a underlying loss of interest. IF we continue to play lick this ..I expect more games in the green mile spot on a Sunday evening.

There is no doubt we are in patchy form at best, off the shortest pre-season in AFL history, with injuries and suspensions to key players, particular forwards. But the last 2 weeks we have faced floods of biblical proportions in our F50 by 2 teams trying hard not to lose.
I expect quite a rapid improvement over the next 3 to 4 weeks if we have a reasonable run with injury. Consistency of personnel is key in the modern game. And our entire game-plan focus over summer would have involved at least 2 KPF’s being a combo of Hawk, Cameron, Ratagolea and Stanley.
Don’t underestimate O’Connor being out yesterday either. Would have been pretty handy on Cunnington…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no doubt we are in patchy form at best, off the shortest pre-season in AFL history, with injuries and suspensions to key players, particular forwards. But the last 2 weeks we have faced floods of biblical proportions in our F50 by 2 teams trying hard not to lose.
I expect quite a rapid improvement over the next 3 to 4 weeks if we have a reasonable run with injury. Consistency of personnel is key in the modern game. And our entire game-plan focus over summer would have involved at least 2 KPF’s being a combo of Hawk, Cameron, Ratagolea and Stanley.
Don’t underestimate O’Connor being out yesterday either. Would have been pretty handy on Cunnington…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
also think Higgins is a big loss too. He is probably the best kick in the team and having him in the side over someone like a Miers and Dahlhaus who both butcher it would make a big difference to kicks inside 50

We have 4 of the top 10 endurance runners in the comp. long games should suit us more than short with endurance runners.
Blic
Smith
? Menegola- just finding his feet now, delayed start
and?
not one of those players are highly skilled

We have 4 of the top 10 endurance runners in the comp. long games should suit us more than short with endurance runners.
Yes I don’t agree with Vdubs on this although his profession makes him hard to argue with! Seasoned bodies, as long as they are injury free, should go harder deeper into the season that the younger sides.

also think Higgins is a big loss too. He is probably the best kick in the team and having him in the side over someone like a Miers and Dahlhaus who both butcher it would make a big difference to kicks inside 50
Disagree.
The only loss here is that we selected him. His great days are well behind him, and his kicking has become shallow. Perhaps that may have been injury, but he looked impotent on the ground when I last watched him.
In his glory days, he certainly was a beautiful kick.
I am looking forward to seeing if he still has a fraction of that.

Disagree.
The only loss here is that we selected him. His great days are well behind him, and his kicking has become shallow. Perhaps that may have been injury, but he looked impotent on the ground when I last watched him.
I think he is the type of player that looks much better when the team is playing well around him. I reckon second half of the year once he gets some games to together he'll be good.

Blic
Smith
? Menegola- just finding his feet now, delayed start
and?
not one of those players are highly skilled
Miers, O'Connor would also be up there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Improvement needed is an understatement! Ball movement is well off the mark, too slow, can't akick goals and where are the young players coming through? I also question the body language of the coach in the past few weeks? Is he all that interested in fixing these problems? I can't see anyway Geelong can beat the Eagles unless there is a sudden turnaround. West Coast are off the pace also, but the Cats are not top 4 contenders this year and not even the home ground advantage will save them this week? It's Round 6 and if change is to come, it better start this week.

Most of our A-graders are 30 or over and in varying stages of decline. The exceptions are Guthrie, Menegola and Stewart. Parfitt might get there if he maintains his form from Sunday. In other words we don't get top 10 picks.

I agree with who said Close was ignored; the same thing happened to Mieirs when he started. Otherwise too few of our chaps present at all.

As for De Koning, no doubt he'll be back in the VFL soon enough, but there was nothing wrong with selecting him. Scott should not have said he'll need two years, whether it's true or not. It's foolish to try to pre-empt the future and it's a good example of the sort of unnecessary thing he says all the time - like we'll at our best later in the season. In fact he should give a few more boys a sniff so they know they're wanted and valued.

Disagree.
Seemed to be handballing a lot in his early games with us. Not sure if he was trying to be a solid sharing ‘new guy‘ or something else.
Perhaps as he establishes himself we may see him kicking a bit more.

My feel is all are lacking buy in. We are playing in dreary way... but its not just the way it looks, the players look like they are less than enthused in what they are doing. It reminds me of eras where club have inner turmoil, where players and coaches have run out of steam, where they have been to the well , the water has dropped its harder and harder to drawn another bucket of energy. To some degree I wonder if we have tuned Da Vinci's into house painters.. there is just so little excitement ..if you live in a bubble for a 100 years... have you lived?

I dont know what we are developing except a underlying loss of interest. IF we continue to play lick this ..I expect more games in the green mile spot on a Sunday evening.

There definitely appears to be something wrong within the playing group.......the lack in enthusiasm and attitude MIGHT be partially explained by injuties, suspensions etc, but it certainly doesnt, shouldn't, explain the majority of it.

And it's an indictment on the playing group if they offer that as the main excuse. If they drop their lip that readily then they're lacking in a bit of character.

Something doesn't seem right. Just my feel.

Short games- perfect for our aged list
Short season- ditto.
Last year of our period of contention.

I don't understand the relevance of this response considering mine was a reply to saying that we had a coach who creates mentally weak players.

I got nothing if you have a couple of players down you just drop them, but when 16 are bad something is wrong and i don't have a clue what it is....We will find out more in the next 3 games.

There's way too much cruising on 'natural talent' in this team and not enough work on working for each other, honing skills etc etc it kills me.

Every other premiership team of the last 5 years will tell you the biggest thing was that they played for each other. Not Geelong though, it's all individual glory.
Thats why I feel a bit depressed when I read posts on here like, "When so-and-so gets back, we'll be good to go!" We need more that that.

On field leadership has been a problem since 2012. Selwood a warrior but not such a leader in play. Dangerfield is not a leader. Hawkins can do it.

Hawkins is too hot headed. O'Connor or Stewart for me. Preferably Stewart because he's a defender and "sees the whole game"

I agree there's a lot of cruising but I can count the naturally talented ones on maybe one hand.

There are a handful of exceptionally talented players, but you don't get to the AFL having no natural talent - but I think the consensus is that the issue is beyond talent anyway - there's something else that's not quite clicking

Congrats to Hawkins who yesterday played in his 200th win in his 282nd match - a few teammates are ahead of him though for least matches played for 200 wins

Congrats to Hawkins who yesterday played in his 200th win in his 282nd match - a few teammates are ahead of him though for least matches played for 200 wins

I was a big Mackie supporter but wow he was in the right place at the right time. Plenty of players of his ability barely player in a final and yet here he is with that record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back