Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question...

At this level, who's responsible for basic individual skills? I assume we have a skills coaches who might oversee certain methods of things like tackling, hit outs, etc, but surely the fundamental things like kick and handball skills are the responsibility of the individual? The team as a whole has deplorable skills in that area. Even our 'silkiest' players are prone to butchering it, or turning it over without pressure. So many short kicks falling short, handballs to toes, handball behind running players or we'll above their heads.

And, the amount of times we look to go to a second or third option instead of the first one is ******* killing us. We put ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

It doesn't matter what your game plan is (for the record I think ours stinks), if you can't do the basics as an individual, then you'll always struggle as a team.
Our coaches were certainly highly skilled personally. Scott, Scarlett, Boris, Lappin, Knights....
We just have a collection of average players wrt skill. How many times does this need to be repeated?
Danger will never change his spots.
Even Duncan, supposedly one of our most skilled, coughs up some howlers week after week.
GAJ is a huge loss for that reason, as were most of our premiership players.
Varcoe, JHunt, Chappy, SJ, Bartel, Mackie, Kelly, Hawkins more than made up for the grunt and hard work players like Rooke and Corey.
Now we have Guthrie, Duncan...?
\Skilled players don't have butter fingers going for marks, and know how to hit a target with kicking.

I don't mind that at all.... I want to see Clark play of the Back line, as his run and carry is great when playing of the back line...
Another 2 questions....
Who plays 2nd ruck? And what if Shark is fit?

We are ruining this kid by asking him to play everywhere apart from where he was drafted to play. Oh and it just so happens we are short on what he provides down there (run and carry and dare). I just don't understand

Maybe we are overcoached? Causes players to overthink and instinctive play is stymied
No I don't think we've stymied a lot of natural talent through coaching. Outside of a few obvious names I don't think we have much natural talent so if you tell them to play on instinct we'll make 2/3rds of the playing group dead weight.

It's that we are trying to make drastic changes to the system and it will take trial and error

Last edited:
I think coaching has a lot to do with achievement at the highest level in our game.
We have some pedestrian coaches who produce pedestrian footballers.

How did we make the GF last year in and I repeat the most mentally challenging football year in the history of the game???

We are ruining this kid by asking him to play everywhere apart from where he was drafted to play. Oh and it just so happens we are short on what he provides down there (run and carry and dare). I just don't understand

Because our first and foremost defensive principle is to stop the opposition scoring. It's not about rebound, it's not about quick ball movement.

(I'm not saying we don't move it out of the backline quickly sometimes, but fast rebound is generally not our game).

So with that in mind, perhaps the MC simply don't see a need for a "run and gunner" down back, which squeezes out Clark. I'm not saying I agree with this at all (I want to see Clark streaming off the half-back flank like most of us) but just commenting on what seems reasonably obvious.

Until that changes, I have the feeling Clark might be in and out quite a bit more - but I hope not!

I also don't think we have as much talent as we think we do either.
True but I think we have a much better team than what is being presented so far this past [x] years. Gameplan, gameday coaching, basic skills, culture/motivation all off IMO irrespective of personnel.

As we have seen before it may not take much to turn it around...but it is yet to happen.

I have also previously queried the team leadership regarding the culture stuff. I wonder of that's a bit off also. IE time for change

A lot of hate for Dahlhaus and he’s been poor. But he’s not the difference between us playing well or not. The team just seems flat with no cohesion. Rather than blame Scott or the coaches.

Why aren’t the leaders being more vocal on field? Where is the leadership on field to make sure players are defending space properly? The talent in the team is keeping them in games and sometimes doing enough to win.
They’re not playing as a team and the leadership has been poor on field. That’s on Selwood, Danger, Blicavs and the other leaders.

I agree there are some selection decisions that need to change. But the on field responsibility should be the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hard work, but we it made it hard more so than North making it hard for us, though their flood didn't help. 10.17 when you go inside 50 60+ times is an awful return, but admittedly had that been 17.10 instead, which it could easily have been as we missed plenty of gettable goals combined with some horrific delivery and just general wastefulness inside 50 and we win by 11 goals, and I'm sure most of us would have happily taken that.

There was a marked improvement to move the ball quicker, which was a good sign, but our execution at times was embarrassing, and there were plenty of culprits. Our forwards don't help matters either. No one will present for the ball, all persist on wanting it kicked long over the back, or on top of their heads. It is clearly a coaching instruction, but gee it's frustrating to watch us continually kick to a contest instead of providing a lead.

Tom Stewart was outstanding, easily B.O.G for mine. Parf's core strength and his ability to shake his hips to free himself of tacklers is a joy to watch. Mitch Duncan is finding touch again and Sam Menegola benefitted from his first up run last week.

Some positives, but we're still miles off the pace. Next week is huge. To go 4-2 would be flattering such has been our form, but it would give us a nice base to attack a difficult month ahead.

Can't wait for next week and watch Kolo end up on Ryan...

He’s out for quite a while so no need to worry😀
Their starting forward line was incredibly tall on Friday - Kennedy , Darling , Allen , Waterman , Cripps and a newbie who was 190 or so- interesting😁

A lot of hate for Dahlhaus and he’s been poor. But he’s not the difference between us playing well or not. The team just seems flat with no cohesion. Rather than blame Scott or the coaches.

Why aren’t the leaders being more vocal on field? Where is the leadership on field to make sure players are defending space properly? The talent in the team is keeping them in games and sometimes doing enough to win.
They’re not playing as a team and the leadership has been poor on field. That’s on Selwood, Danger, Blicavs and the other leaders.

I agree there are some selection decisions that need to change. But the on field responsibility should be the players.
I asked that question over the past few years. Honestly the only way to know is to be at the game, at a reasonably close distance to the field.
On the broadcast, wouldn't mind seeing a little passion at the line meet ups.

Stanley was much better today. Got beaten in the ruck but he competed around the ground in the way we need.

He had 8 hitouts. Iknow goldy is good but we need more from rhys.

But then some folks here bagged AA Guthrie for years.

They bagged him when he was far from AA. In fact he wasn’t even in the top 10 of the GFC B&F for a few years.

There may have been reasons for this: injuries, lack of preseason and being used in the wrong role. But it’s great to see him (mostly) playing up to his potential.

Is it any surprise, considering he isn’t one. Why draft a solid kpd and make him play forward?

It’s like this club just thinks they can make players play wherever they feel like, rather than what they are best it. It’s insane.

He has the rough tools but he obviously lacked confidence and authority. As you say no surprise.

Another thing krock mentioned was a few potential injury concerns

- Dangerfield finished on the bench with an ankle issue but should be right
- Selwood had his shoulder checked during the game
- after the match Stewart went down the race with a medical staff member and they were looking at his wrist; uncertainty about the exact issue

Dahl had 4 tackles and led the team in pressure acts..you cant fault his workrate. The issue is he cant kick over a jam tin..whether hes lost power from the groin injury i dont know but when we have a fully fit list he will or at least should struggle to get games.
He also doesn't rove the forwards well or win his own ball without diving on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back