Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Cameron

late bloomer Stewart

Might crack open the index on the 2nd hand?
About sums it up. But system beats talent any day. We just have a system that's in need of a bit of sprucing up

What do we think of Duncan's massage technique

Not sure what it was like at the ground but it sure looked like he gave up quick when he heard the crowd laughing.

I like it, care for your team mate no matter how weird you look in the process. Bit in that

I don't mind that at all.... I want to see Clark play of the Back line, as his run and carry is great when playing of the back line...
Another 2 questions....
Who plays 2nd ruck? And what if Shark is fit?
I forgot about Merrick - has there been any indication of his injury?

He's selection will depend on where they're looking to play him - is he staying in the guts or returning to the backline?

Today we seemed to go with Henry as second ruck, so not sure if that's the long term plan but thinking we may see Blicavs back to that role

To add a positive here: Close was good again. I think I'll have a seizure if he's dropped at this point

He's not doing anything wrong - happy with his inclusion and should keep his spot

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Why they didnt just play Jenkins was beyond me, clearly nowhere near ready.
Rewards effort for a young payer and gives them exposure to an AFL game so they have a greater concept of what to work towards. He won't be a regular any time soon, but it's likely seen as a part of his development moving forward. Perhaps a bit of arrogance about it, but they would have seen North as a side they could risk it against.

Jenkins has no future at the club. He's just playing out his contact, one he should never have received.

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Rewards effort for a young payer and gives them exposure to an AFL game so they have a greater concept of what to work towards. He won't be a regular any time soon, but it's likely seen as a part of his development moving forward. Perhaps a bit of arrogance about it, but they would have seen North as a side they could risk it against.

Jenkins has no future at the club. He's just playing out his contact, one he should never have received.
His selection smelt like arrogance and we played like it.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think both viewpoints are correct simultaneously. STPer18 isn't happy our small forwards let him have so much of the ball, but yes his influence was minimal.

I would rather we stop someone racking up 35+ rather than hope he does nothing with it.

The ball lived in our forward 50 today. Somebody from North is going to get some ball and today it was him.

Small forwards don't stop guys getting touches. Normally they're competing outnumbered and trying to pressure them to kick it long down the line. A rushed 55m kick to a 1-on-1 where we have the 3rd guy in is a great result from our small forwards. But the defender gets an effective kick and 55m gained while doing exactly what we want. There was plenty of that today.

Our setup behind the ball and our pressure inside 50 was really good. That's why for all the rebound 50s (which Ziebull happened to have a lot of) they almost never hurt us on the rebound and the ball lived between the wing and our forward 50 a lot. The best way to stop rebound defenders hurting is is have the umpires bring the ball out of our forward line after a goal. Ziebull's numbers were more a result of our inefficiency with our inside 50s than anything our forwards did wrong defensively.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Because our first and foremost defensive principle is to stop the opposition scoring. It's not about rebound, it's not about quick ball movement.

(I'm not saying we don't move it out of the backline quickly sometimes, but fast rebound is generally not our game).

So with that in mind, perhaps the MC simply don't see a need for a "run and gunner" down back, which squeezes out Clark. I'm not saying I agree with this at all (I want to see Clark streaming off the half-back flank like most of us) but just commenting on what seems reasonably obvious.

Until that changes, I have the feeling Clark might be in and out quite a bit more - but I hope not!

I have seen absoutely zero evidence that he can't do both. This narrative that he is somehow simply an attacking player in the backlines has no evidence whatsoever. I think he could play exactly like Stewart does. Beat his man and then run and gun. Just do not know where this he doesn't defend story has come from.

How did we make the GF last year in and I repeat the most mentally challenging football year in the history of the game???
Short games- perfect for our aged list
Short season- ditto.
Last year of our period of contention.

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure how to read this cause it seems that you are saying Jenkins is a better option than Hawkins. I mean seriously what the fu** has this board become when we have people making arguments about how Jenkins is superior to hawkins. Give yourself the year off sir

What I am saying is that Hawkins leads into difficult spots in the pocket. He appears to be doing this more often this year. After 5 games he is around the 20th highest goal kicker in the AFL. Only 10 goals and 15 points so far this year. Kicking is letting him down and he is not assisted by difficult shots

Jenkins tends to stay near the goal square more often and gets easier shots.

Perhaps my english is not the best or you should read what I say more carefully.

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I have seen absoutely zero evidence that he can't do both. This narrative that he is somehow simply an attacking player in the backlines has no evidence whatsoever. I think he could play exactly like Stewart does. Beat his man and then run and gun. Just do not know where this he doesn't defend story has come from.

There's no reason he can't do both, but I can't remember a game where's he been super-accountable or had some really strong defensive patches (maybe he has played that and I just can't recall). He's always been a very attacking player, and at this point of his career, that's fine. I've always seen him as a Woj-type, and while he was super attacking, he could be more defensively-oriented at times.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
If you truly believe that 27 scoring shots to 12 would average a 5 goal win, you must be watching soccer and not AFL. That's an 8-10 goal margin in most games which is what I rate today's effort on.

Correction Exactly 5 goals dominance or 3.12 whatever floats your boat

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I've never felt so flat after a win. That was worse than the Melbourne game (was it last year?). I'm not even sure what the problem is. I mean, obviously the overarching game plan is clearly not good enough, but where does the blame lie? Surely we're not *that* sh*t?

We are that s**t. I'll tell you how s**t we are. I couldn't wait to get out of the ground to sit through the MAFS finale, where some ho caught cheating blamed her brother. Only then could I watch the footy replay to swear all over again. Exhausted.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
What a year! 3-2 and haven’t felt great about any of the 3.
Well I celebrated 2 of them hard for 5 seconds on the siren, than it dawned on me.
Playing DeKoning I think was ridiculous, hasn’t Scott said previously he won’t be ready for another couple of years? It shows.
But Dahlhaus stealing that goal off him and the celebration.... oh boy.

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Some of the great ever games have been against North.
That one with Lynch and Mensch where we came back 3 or 4 times.
That game where McGrath tackled Crocker and his bald head went into the ground.
That was one if the best games ever.

The second one was Rd 1 1999..norf opened with the first 5 goals and my brother and I were jokingly saying..'Well, let's just go an barrack for the Storm!'

That was their first season in the NRL. But yeah, we came back, norf surged, we did, Ronnie Burns kicked an amazing soccer style goal, and Mensch saild across the pack horizontally for surely his best mark in his career. We won by about 4 goals, and that was with Geelong's short lived 'Tall and Ordinary' forward line that scored quite well...even beating both Port in Adelaide. From memory we had J.Mooney, Mensch and Stoneham. Sadly J.Mooney injured his knee and never played much after this season.

Then, at 5-0, we lose at K.P to bloody Hawthorn again (by less than a goal again) and our season goes to the toilet..we lose the next 9!

Back