Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't watched the game yet, but it sounds like we got pretty much what most people expected. A 'good enough, sort of' win against a terrible opposition who should've been put to the sword and beaten by quarter time. 4 points, etc.
Just glad none of our stars were injured.

Haven't watched the game yet, but it sounds like we got pretty much what most people expected. A 'good enough, sort of' win against a terrible opposition who should've been put to the sword and beaten by quarter time. 4 points, etc.
Just glad none of our stars were injured.
I expected a 5 goal win. I didn't expect Henderson at full forward, Henry to be rucking against a 2m opponent (although he actually kind of looked to be breaking even), North to get almost all their scoring chains from turnovers in the same pocket, and the 5 goal margin to be 2/5ths behinds.

About the worst 5 goal win I've ever seen.

Well that was dismal. In further bad news, game in the Central Highlands League had to be called off today as Daylesford captain and former cats player Josh Cowan broke his leg, and the ambulance took an hour and a half to get to the ground.

The footy gods hate that bloke don't they

An hour and a half? Ballarat is 20 minutes away and has two major hospitals.

I reckon a lot have got this autopsy wrong. This was a failure in execution, not planning or intent. We had enough of the ball in the right places to win by 10 goals but just failed too often to hit a target inside 50 or with the shots at goal.

Onwards to next week and we add JC to the puzzle.
E5AB1E56-1999-4CD9-A303-0146ACAA4B1E.jpeg

The intent to move the ball quicker with link up and run was clearly there, we just fell apart with execution of basic skills and creating decent space.
it'll improve without a doubt, issue for us is how much catch up will we have to play in the second half of the season to give us a competitive shot come finals.

The next 3 weeks is big. We have to probably win 2 of 3 to have a realistic chance at top 4. We are back on our favoured small grounds for next two.

We have had a very soft draw, which has helped us mathematically but there will be a price to pay at the back end.

We are 1 game behind where we need to be already.

So much to improve. I’m just going to mention one very specific thing to fix.

A couple of times when we were trying to move the ball out of backline we would take a mark around the 50m line on the back flank boundary.

The player would look to kick a pass. On a few occasions Henry was in the centre square opposing a very small midfielder.

Henry would have a very clear height and marking advantage but didn’t even try to lead or call for the ball. We then have to kick along the boundary or kick back and across for a slow switch.

I’m a Henry fan but he needs to realise the mismatch, present strong, and demand the ball in these situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next 3 weeks is big. We have to probably win 2 of 3 to have a realistic chance at top 4. We are back on our favoured small grounds for next two.

We have had a very soft draw, which has helped us mathematically but there will be a price to pay at the back end.

We are 1 game behind where we need to be already.

Without seriously impressive form improvement I can't see us winning any of the next 3 to be honest.

Even if we converted and got the 10 goal win I would say there was some serious issues. The poor conversion was a function of really badly placed entries. We were trying to speed it up but it was rushed and pressured and we consistently kicked it to their outnumber.

How were we that rushed against the worst side in the comp? OK Cameron gives us someone else to kick to and make those entries more effective but if we were that pressured on the entry then do we even get the entries against a good side?

Outside of cunners, who I'm 50% sure was sent from the future to terminate John Connor, they did not have many capable mids. We should have owned the stoppages. How does that look against the dogs?

I understand we are developing a completely new game style on the fly off a short pre-season and poor availability but it still poses questions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short games- perfect for our aged list
Short season- ditto.
Last year of our period of contention.
What we are seeing currently doesn't really marry up with that. What you are saying would make sense if we started the season red hot and started to taper out from round 16 onwards. You'd also see it in games come the 3rd and 4th qtrs or even late in qtrs.

What we are seeing however is a general lack of cohesion and effort from the get-go AND thats regardless of the opposition. What you are saying may come to fruition later in the season but its too early to tell. Right now it looks like a lack of preparation/effort.

improvement I can't see us winning any of the next 3 to be honest.

Have you seen WCE this season? They’ve been unimpressive. Choked away a six goal lead v St Kilda - our supporters would burn down KP if we did that. Last week they had a ho hum home win against a depleted Collingwood.

They will be missing three AA players in Shuey, Hurn and Ryan against us and we will have the strongest lineup we’ve fielded all year.

There are absolutely zero excuses for us to lose to WCE.

Even if we converted and got the 10 goal win I would say there was some serious issues. The poor conversion was a function of really badly placed entries. We were trying to speed it up but it was rushed and pressured and we consistently kicked it to their outnumber.

How were we that rushed against the worst side in the comp? OK Cameron gives us someone else to kick to and make those entries more effective but if we were that pressured on the entry then do we even get the entries against a good side?

Outside of cunners, who I'm 50% sure was sent from the future to terminate John Connor, they did not have many capable mids. We should have owned the stoppages. How does that look against the dogs?

I understand we are developing a completely new game style on the fly off a short pre-season and poor availability but it still poses questions

A lot of the problems originate from the fact that our basic ball skills are so woeful.

We were terrible by hand and foot yesterday, and that was from the first minute of the game, and even when players were running free with the ball.

Its been an issue for a while.

We miss targets by hand and foot, use slow handballs etc and that creates pressure through the receiver having to try and make it good. Clear possessions are being butchered too often, and that's before you throw in the physical pressure exerted by an opponent.

Throw in the issues with our ruck, Hawkins not leading enough, and Dahl / Rohan giving the output of a dead battery and our performances are not a huge surprise.

Yes I agree the entries were terrible as the post I quoted referred to. In fact, you’ll struggle to find a game where a side had 64 less effective inside 50s.

I wouldn’t describe it as rushed though. Most of it was simply poor kicking. We had Dangerfield and Close simply butcher the ball on multiple occasions under no pressure.

A separate issue was the bombing in which we did too frequently and not smartly. A dozen times we kicked long to Hawkins’ opponent’s favour instead of his. Then there was a large number where the bomb was taken as a last resort but North had so many players back (routinely had 18 inside our F50) that it was futile. There is a phenomena where you miss lots of shots and the ball is camped in your half with 36 players and it’s just horrendous to watch. That was 80% of last night’s game. Hawthorn did similar to us.

Cameron will help by giving us a better tall target but I don’t know that there’s a simple answer when the opposition parks the bus and we can’t convert in front of goal.

A lot of hate for Dahlhaus and he’s been poor. But he’s not the difference between us playing well or not. The team just seems flat with no cohesion. Rather than blame Scott or the coaches.

Why aren’t the leaders being more vocal on field? Where is the leadership on field to make sure players are defending space properly? The talent in the team is keeping them in games and sometimes doing enough to win.
They’re not playing as a team and the leadership has been poor on field. That’s on Selwood, Danger, Blicavs and the other leaders.

I agree there are some selection decisions that need to change. But the on field responsibility should be the players.
On field leadership has been a problem since 2012. Selwood a warrior but not such a leader in play. Dangerfield is not a leader. Hawkins can do it.

Another thing krock mentioned was a few potential injury concerns

- Dangerfield finished on the bench with an ankle issue but should be right
- Selwood had his shoulder checked during the game
- after the match Stewart went down the race with a medical staff member and they were looking at his wrist; uncertainty about the exact issue

We lose Stewie, we might as well forfeit this game now :tearsofjoy:

Biggest problems yesterday were ruck, centre clearances (even thought they were 8-8) and our kicking inside 50. Cunnington destroyed us, didn't help that MOC wasn't playing but someone in the mids needed to be accountable for him at stoppages at least.

So much to improve. I’m just going to mention one very specific thing to fix.

A couple of times when we were trying to move the ball out of backline we would take a mark around the 50m line on the back flank boundary.

The player would look to kick a pass. On a few occasions Henry was in the centre square opposing a very small midfielder.

Henry would have a very clear height and marking advantage but didn’t even try to lead or call for the ball. We then have to kick along the boundary or kick back and across for a slow switch.

I’m a Henry fan but he needs to realise the mismatch, present strong, and demand the ball in these situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny I was thinking same, and that Close needs to develop a voice - despite technicolour shoes he was ignored several times when perfectly clear in front. Not his fault, and in the effort to move the ball faster it seems many brains not alert to others positioning.

At one stage when Duncan held the ball in the centre the crowd along the members wing were screaming - someone held plenty of ground on the HFF and a certain run to goal. But no, turnover. Since you could hear a pin drop all day (the 21k were eerily quiet) one would have thought it might have tipped him off.
You can't teach footy nouse,it was a frustrating afternoon for that.

Even if we converted and got the 10 goal win I would say there was some serious issues. The poor conversion was a function of really badly placed entries.
Expected score takes the place the shot came from into account, though.

Have you seen WCE this season? They’ve been unimpressive. Choked away a six goal lead v St Kilda - our supporters would burn down KP if we did that. Last week they had a ho hum home win against a depleted Collingwood.

They will be missing three AA players in Shuey, Hurn and Ryan against us and we will have the strongest lineup we’ve fielded all year.

There are absolutely zero excuses for us to lose to WCE.
Not looking forward to playing Nic Nat, he single handily beat us last year, his ruck work was amazing gave them maybe 5-6 goals purely from his taps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back