Review Geelong defeats North by 33 points

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Steven was still bog ordinary in my opinion. Got enough of the ball, but butchered the ball and had little impact.

Zuthrie and Fogarty were much more impressive.

In fact in retrospect its very hard to work out what game you were watching. Had the most metres gained which means he is taking on difficult long kicks and was in the top 5 for disposal efficiency. Probably needs to take your bronze coloured glasses off.

It's not what he did with them it's the fact that he looked like he had his zip back. Worked noticeably harder defensively too. Good signs.
No it very much is what he did with them and what he did was probably better than anyone on the ground bar Cam Guthrie. He had the most metres gained and was in our top 5 for disposal efficiency. People thinking he didn't play well were either watching a different game or don't understand it!!

I actually think that it has more to do with how well the opposition sets up defensively. I think we always want to move it quickly if we can but sometimes the good teams just shut any opportunity down. Not sure the kangas set up very well behind the ball to be honest.

I agree the better side's press up hard and cover our outlet kickers well and force us to give it to the guys who don't have the kicking skill to move it quick through the midfield...the sides who are younger and less well drilled struggle to do this.

Brad Close- not getting on the scoreboard much, but his bustling around in the forward line has set up several. Zuthrie's first goal wouldn't have gone through if not for Close shepherding it, and he did well not to infringe.

Tom Hawkins- That left foot bnana from the pocket. Just.. how?

Mark Blicavs- looked a bit lost without Ben Brown to line up on, but got a fair bit of the ball and gave us some drive from half back.

Our defence looks so much better without kolo.

oconnor is getting really good Defensively.

To be fair kolo is a decent player (albeit out of form) his 1 on contest rate is really good. But his propensity to go sideways and not move the ball on quickly puts us under pressure from teams with a high press. Even Hendo while he is slower speed wise he always looks to go long through the middle by foot or quickly move it on by hand which lets guys like Stewart attack quicker. I think say Taylor plus hendo/blicavs and maybe Henry covering talls and then bews Moc and Stewart att attacking quickly is a better balance for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt disagree more. I thought he was good. He won a lot of 50-50s and made them hours. Thought his kicking was generally precise and he almost always took ground rather than a chip kick sideways.

Agreed..at his best he is a real metres gained player and he was back to that tonight. We will clearly need to manage him out some games fitness wise but he could be a weapon for us in finals.

Im going sam menegola.

I actually agree with you I think both Menegola and Guthrie will go very close to winning the carji if either of them does I think this board will meltdown 😂😂

I actually agree with you I think both Menegola and Guthrie will go very close to winning the carji if either of them does I think this board will meltdown 😂😂
Not me ive always been a big supporter of them both. Guthrie a great line breaker and menegola is a direct player who can tak a grab. Together they are helping cover for the loss of kelly.

Agree about O Connor and I prefer his ball use to Kolo/Blitz etc too. He has more upside than the others so should continue to improve.

They need to stick with just one of Henry and Kolo. Henry's had a so-so year but still better than Kolo. Henderson may not be that mobile but he's played his role really well since coming into the side.

Not sure I understand the love for Zuthrie. Is it because he’s been ordinary in the past and tonight was serviceable? Put in perspective the opposition was poor, and he did a couple of nice things. No way is he in our best 22. Simpson, Stanley and Atkins in the same boat. Good for depth in home and away, but no way under the pressure of a final.

Simpson, Stanley and Atkins in the same boat. Good for depth in home and away, but no way under the pressure of a final.

Remember in our glory years in 2009-2011 we had a few nuggety onballer types who came in for a game or three as fillins for guys who were injured or being rested, played their role pretty well, and then went back to the magoos? Guys like Jackson Sheringham, Jesse Stringer, Simon Hogan. Tom Atkins reminds me a bit of them.

Not sure I understand the love for Zuthrie. Is it because he’s been ordinary in the past and tonight was serviceable? Put in perspective the opposition was poor, and he did a couple of nice things. No way is he in our best 22. Simpson, Stanley and Atkins in the same boat. Good for depth in home and away, but no way under the pressure of a final.
It happens a lot when an ordinary player finally plays a servicable game. Often against an ordinary team. Think parsons last year against sydney or blicavs as a ruckman two weeks ago against freo. its because our minds are biased to rate things based off expectations. We mistake a positive upside to expectation with overall perfromance. even experts in their fields suffer from this bias. Its why dangerfield only rates well on this board when he is streets ahead the best player on the field. When he is just in the top handfull of players posters start complaining about his form And he never get votes.

Offensively too. He's very good at kicking to a team mate then sprinting forward to provide another option. Perfect example just on half time tonight - gathered the ball behind centre, little chip to *someone*, then sprinted forward and got it again at half forward and hit a leading Hawkins lace out. He does it a lot - a lot of the time unrewarded, but if nothing else he draws an opponent to stretch their zone defence.

Solid win considering all the circumstances.

Some good performances from 2-3 tier players.

North are ordinary at best.

It was really only a bit above practice match intensity I thought.

I am taking the 4 points, but not reading too much at all into this game. Lets see if we beat Port, Tigers, Dogs, Saints, Essendon.

Remember in our glory years in 2009-2011 we had a few nuggety onballer types who came in for a game or three as fillins for guys who were injured or being rested, played their role pretty well, and then went back to the magoos? Guys like Jackson Sheringham, Jesse Stringer, Simon Hogan. Tom Atkins reminds me a bit of them.
Tom atkins doesnt get dropped Like they did and they all played better then he does. Another 7 touch, 0 goals, 3 tackle game from him tonight. classic atkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back