Review Geelong defeats North by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron 5, 5
Tuohy 4, 4
Selwood 2, 2
De Koning 3
Atkins 3
Guthrie 1, 1

Funny, was told during the game Guthrie was rubbish. Both coaches clearly disagreed
What would the coaches know, though? 'Everyone' knows Scott is clueless and Noble probably got a free mix-in from Guth down at Cold Rock, back in the day.

:rolleyes:

Not sure it has anything at all to do with Dangerfield.
Guthrie was playing quite well in previous years when Dangerfield was playing along side him.
He just pulled his finger out as he probably knew he has been poor and needed to lift.
Must be all down to work rate with Cam. He will never have to deal with a tagger so no reason why he can't get back to accumulating 25-30 disposals on a weekly basis.

MRO decision from yesterday's match

Charges laid:
Ben McKay, North Melbourne, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Rhys Stanley, Geelong Cats, during the fourth quarter of the Round Six match between North Melbourne and Geelong Cats played at Blundstone Arena on Sunday April 24, 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a one-match suspension with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

MRO decision from yesterday's match

Charges laid:
Ben McKay, North Melbourne,
has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Rhys Stanley, Geelong Cats, during the fourth quarter of the Round Six match between North Melbourne and Geelong Cats played at Blundstone Arena on Sunday April 24, 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a one-match suspension with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.
Looks Harry can get recover from his injury and play for the Blues this week after all.

as someone said earlier, Dangerfield out and he gets a role where he can be more involved in the attack.

I thought it was Guthrie's best game for the year.
Was a bit more aggressive in the contest and going forward.
Had 7 I50's and kicked a goal.
Guthrie attended 21 centre bounces and managed 1 clearance against Norf and most if not all his inside 50s went straight to North defenders.Rushed his disposals all night.

Not even remotely relevant.

• one kicker in an NFL team, Geelong’s stats would improve out of sight if we just let Selwood (example) kick every set shot. I’m sure Carlton would love for someone else to take McKays shots.
  • the ball is stationary in the NFL, Max Gawn (example) drops it from a metre an a half in air wobbling side to side.
  • pretty sure no set shots in the NFL are taken from the fence
You are simply making excuses for bad kicking technique...
Everything you stated can be improved with proper skills training
Stop accepting the current poor kicking standard as beyond improvement.

I saw that Scott says Kolo is best 22 and has been for years. True or not, i question the wisdom of coaches speaking thus. Hardly encourages the likes of Stevens who has played well consistently now in the VFL for a long time. One hopes we'll see him get a chance soon.

Our mid-field is just going; Sel was our best there even at his age, which doesn't say much for the others. New blood needed.

This is Nick Stevens second year on the list. He played eight VFL games last year and has played four this year. Putting aside that he's unlikely to be competing directly with Kolo for a spot, given they are quite different players, you have a very strange definition of 'a long time'.

when players who base their career advantage off aerobic capacity to run all game get pre season injuries that stuff up their conditioning, it is very hard for them to come back and have any influence... as their major asset is essentially stripped back from them. I think this is the case with miers.
Possibly, but I think his skills are suspect generally.

He's been serviceable, and I'm glad he's getting a game and playing alright at North, but he'd be just a depth player at Geelong. If best 22 at the Cats all he'd be doing is keeping Sam de Koning out of the side.
He'd be letting us run Blitz on the wing permanently so I think he'd be playing every game without keeping SDK out. Not sure which midfielder he would push out though

He'd be letting us run Blitz on the wing permanently so I think he'd be playing every game without keeping SDK out. Not sure which midfielder he would push out though

I'm not sure about that. Blicavs has been all over the field this year as it is. He's hardly been a stay-at-home defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting a good whack round the ear over my Nick Stevens post. A week is a long time in politics. 18 months is a long time in football. Stevens plays well every week, gets a lot of the ball and is a great kick. Troy Selwood was thrilled to get him. Ling thinks he should play 6 games this year. Certainly we need to see him before the season is over .

I don't think it's "strange" to suggest he warrants an opportunity.

I continue to question the wisdom of coaches referring to best 22 in press conferences; that is just my opinion - and what's more I'm sticking to it. Kolo did play well on Sunday - he hasn't made a critical error for a couple of weeks now.

Perhaps, but generally our tackling technique has been ordinary especially the ‘over the shoulder’ frees dished out in recent games.
Needs some attention, may lose us a game.

My father mentioned this during the game recently. We are quite terrible at sticking tackles.
I remeber the days we had rugby players training with footballers and teaching us how to tackle properly. May have been the Bomber Thompson era but we certainly knew how to stick tackles back then.

My father mentioned this during the game recently. We are quite terrible at sticking tackles.
I remeber the days we had rugby players training with footballers and teaching us how to tackle properly. May have been the Bomber Thompson era but we certainly knew how to stick tackles back then.
A lot of those tackles have been sloppy and careless.
There have been a couple of ‘Selwood shrugs’ in there too. Since we have the master of receiving these playing in our team, maybe he can give some reverse insight into how to avoid them

Young Holmes needs to work on his tackling technique...love the kid and he's playing good footy, but he cost us with two high tackles v North.

It will come of course, but right now its something he needs to work on.

Odd take.

If Scott turns around and says Danger is in our best 22 does that mean Stephens, Knevitt etc should be disheartened?
No. Because every man, woman and child knows he's in our best half dozen players.

Your comment is skewed by subconsciously asserting into the conversation that you don't believe he is best 22 and thus the coach speaking as if he is should discourage others to improve and develop.

When in fact what we want is competitive individuals who use that to motivate them further to displace someone who is best 22. Someone who gets discouraged because the coach says someone in his position is best 22 is hardly someone we should want on the list.
Jordan Clark.

We need to talk more about that kolo tackle.

It had heat like a meat cleaver, it was gritty and yet elegant. It was just plain wonderously awesome.

if kolo is remembered for one thing. It should be that tackle.
Either of the two he put on Zuurhar were very good. Neither made it to his afl app highlights reel for some reason

I'm getting a good whack round the ear over my Nick Stevens post. A week is a long time in politics. 18 months is a long time in football. Stevens plays well every week, gets a lot of the ball and is a great kick. Troy Selwood was thrilled to get him. Ling thinks he should play 6 games this year. Certainly we need to see him before the season is over .

I don't think it's "strange" to suggest he warrants an opportunity.

I continue to question the wisdom of coaches referring to best 22 in press conferences; that is just my opinion - and what's more I'm sticking to it. Kolo did play well on Sunday - he hasn't made a critical error for a couple of weeks now.
I think Lingy is being a bit optimistic there. He's playing above draft number and would benefit from a game but not sure about 6 games. 1 or 2 would be ideal and probably aim for 6+ next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back