Review Geelong defeats Pies by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

This feels exactly like 2016 where we were limping into the finals with average form and our supporters were all expecting us to 'turn it on' come finals.. We know what happened - we became Sydneys bitch again and got embarrassed. Unfortunately this feels a lot similar - the team has not gelled due to mass amounts of changes and limitations in quality/skill for a lot of the players. Our 'young guns' are not AK-47's, more like glocks... When I look at Sydneys team I shake my head trying to understand how the **** they can stay under the salary cap. Either we are paying some of our players way too much or they are doing some funky business.

Agreed but didn't they delist two well played players after the GF last year including Mitchell to the hawks. Secondly as I understand it Buddy's 10 year 10million is partly backloaded and partly games played. The backloaded bit is the worry I'd say for them should they not win this or next year, 2018 will mark half way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im not sure about that. our losses this year we were never in the hunt in any of them
Thought we were a chance to catch the bombers-missed some easy shots, west coast -2 down from early on still looked ok, even the swans thought we were capable of getting back into it. But don't feel too strongly about it so can concede not in the hunt re GC and crows.( but even then, there were contributing factors in that loss that can be addressed)

It doesn't feel quite the same to me and the team is working pretty well together. We have better ability to return when the tide is against us now. We can run out games well. We have a terrific defensive group. The players are working hard and with each other. Just about every game we lost we were in with chances and could have pulled off the win. We get a couple back and bring our best, we are in with a chance this year.
Swans can get lost. Jones and Papley irritate me. Can't have them getting a flag.

Agreed. Papley was annoying friday as well. Boy they are very well supported by the umpiring fraternity. Imagine if thwy stil got the extra allowances they were getting? Amazingly enough still attracting and retaining players!!

Amazing the difference a week makes.

Last week, Motlop had 19 possessions, and gained 509m. Yesterday he had 14 possessions, and gained 148m.

Something's sore coz he weirdly whipped the boots off immediately after the siren. Then was told to go back and hand out a footy which he did in his socks.

and without franklin and mills and heeney they probably wouldnt be playing finals and would have little quality youth coming through. all teams have players of the calibre you list above. its the extra players cola and the academy delivers that is the difference.

Sorry, whats COLA?

Sorry, whats COLA?

The cost of living allowance Syd were awarded. Think it gave them a higher salary cap than the rest of the league.

Apparently that diver Papley was out in Richmond last Sat night trying to get people to buy him beers.

I would have gladly purchased one then thrown it all over him. What a satisfying action, one I'm yet to experience :p

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something's sore coz he weirdly whipped the boots off immediately after the siren. Then was told to go back and hand out a footy which he did in his socks.

Blisters.

He did the same after the game last week too, and when he was interviewed, he said it was blisters, which can actually be quite debilitating (not that I'm making an excuse for him this week).

The cost of living allowance Syd were awarded. Think it gave them a higher salary cap than the rest of the league.

Apparently that diver Papley was out in Richmond last Sat night trying to get people to buy him beers.

I would have gladly purchased one then thrown it all over him. What a satisfying action, one I'm yet to experience :p
He'd have put on an act like you had glassed him.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been said. What do Geelong have to do to be rated a chance this year? Three rounds ago we were hit with the loss of Selwood, Hawkins and Duncan and the media wrote us off. Most of them said Geelong wouldn’t win another game and would fall out of the top four.

Two weeks later we have defeated Tigers (top 4 and commentator’s favs) and Pies (bogey team) with a depleted side and guaranteed a top 4 spot. I turn the radio or Television on and all I still hear is Geelong are not a premiership chance. Let’s hope we keep proving them wrong!

Not sure if this has been said. What do Geelong have to do to be rated a chance this year? Three rounds ago we were hit with the loss of Selwood, Hawkins and Duncan and the media wrote us off. Most of them said Geelong wouldn’t win another game and would fall out of the top four.

Two weeks later we have defeated Tigers (top 4 and commentator’s favs) and Pies (bogey team) with a depleted side and guaranteed a top 4 spot. I turn the radio or Television on and all I still hear is Geelong are not a premiership chance. Let’s hope we keep proving them wrong!
Commentators have seen how Geelong perform against the top sides (Adelaide and Sydney), how they perform away from home, and how they perform in finals, hence not being a threat in finals is an easy prediction to make.

I'm not really sure what value top 4 has anymore or what it means for Geelong with their spotty post-bye history. Conceptualising the best-case scenario finals run is difficult. Going to be interesting to see how the clubs, media and AFL respond if the two QF winners miss the GF again, though.
For once I agree with you on this. But last year it got the dream result so it is not going to change in a hurry. You have to wonder if top 4 is really such an advantage anymore.

Commentators have seen how Geelong perform against the top sides (Adelaide and Sydney), how they perform away from home, and how they perform in finals, hence not being a threat in finals is an easy prediction to make.

Yeah those earlier finals series from this year would naturally have a major bearing on how they assess our 2017 round 21 side.

A few minutes to go in the last quarter when Murdoch has the ball was caught fended off perfectly and dished off the ball backwards in the defensive half.

Grab the footage of what transpired next ... gut running at its finest. Do yourselves a favour and watch it.

Take Smith or Menegola out of that side and see if Dangerfield can win us that game.

So maybe they won us the game also?

Maybe. Dangerfield was clearly BOG though, which is why in a tight game I called him the difference.

Our team is uneven. How we can take Z.Guthrie and Simpson into the finals and expect to win one is scary.

I really think the whole reliance thing on Danger is too simplistic and over the top. Yes he is a great player and has a knack for kicking that match winning goal but man, would we have been anywhere near it without Tuohy or Bews? Without Menegola? Duncan is having an amazing season but no one gives a crap outside of Geelong. It's weird and I don't really get it. not to mention we were apparently a two man team before, but our record without Selwood is actually pretty good

Swans dismantled us only a few weeks ago, Adelaide have done the same. Don't get caught up in the hype, Geelong 2017 is a very vulnerable prospect for the finals.
No more vulnerable than any other contender.it is not hype, anymore than the king making that has gone on with Adelaide, Swans, Richmond and GWS at various stages of this season.

Make no mistake, we are in this up to our ears, and have as good a chance as any of the top five.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back