Review Geelong defeats Pies by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

A few minutes to go in the last quarter when Murdoch has the ball was caught fended off perfectly and dished off the ball backwards in the defensive half.

Grab the footage of what transpired next ... gut running at its finest. Do yourselves a favour and watch it.

I'd like to but if you think I'm watching the replay you've got another thing coming!
Was that the passage that resulted in a goal?

Commentators have seen how Geelong perform against the top sides (Adelaide and Sydney), how they perform away from home, and how they perform in finals, hence not being a threat in finals is an easy prediction to make.
How would our performance against Adelaide be a reason to write us off? 1-1 with the two games basically being mirrors of each other.

I'd like to but if you think I'm watching the replay you've got another thing coming!
Was that the passage that resulted in a goal?
There was 3 minutes and 7 seconds left in the game. I'll get one of the kids to edit that piece of footage tomorrow. It needs to be seen.

Terrible game of footy but fair play to the guys for sticking it out, i was one that threw all the toys out of the cot after quarter time but i take a majority of it back.

I think a few guys may be rested next week now that top 4 is secured, Menzel, Smith and Lonergen would be my guess, dont think it will matter that we are playing for 2nd spot, Scott has made it clear its not about where we finish but about form. Cant see us beating GWS anyway.

Anyone know if Blicavs or Cocky will be close next week?
Why rest anyone when the following week they will all get a rest?

You could have been more honest and just said recency bias, I wouldn't mind.
It's not recency bias. Teams just generally show more finals-like form closer to finals. Isn't that sort of obvious? Teams that are serious about competing in finals generally don't play their best in the first half of the year. See Collingwood 2010 or Hawthorn 2014.

It's not recency bias. Teams just generally show more finals-like form closer to finals. Isn't that sort of obvious? Teams that are serious about competing in finals generally don't play their best in the first half of the year. See Collingwood 2010 or Hawthorn 2014.
Or Geelong 2007, 2009 or 2011?

edit: The Geelong way is to be dominate woe to go. Please just stop posting if all you want is another failed finals campaign. Not what you might think will happen, but what you want to happen. It's gets old quick.

Games closer to finals generally hold more weight. Give a better indication of what teams are like at peak performance.
Are you serious?

Did you see other finals contenders in Essendon, port, Bulldogs, st kilda, Adelaide, wc, GWS, Sydney this weekend?
Everyone is off for some reason.
It's like they are all in a holding pattern.

edit: The Geelong way is to be dominate woe to go. Please just stop posting if all you want is another failed finals campaign. Not what you might think will happen, but what you want to happen. It's gets old quick.
Right, which game against Collingwood was a better indicator of how they would go against them in finals, the first one where they just got over them or the later one where they tore them to pieces?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, which game against Collingwood was a better indicator of how they would go against them in finals, the first one where they just got over them or the later one where they tore them to pieces?
Same can be said for this year v Collingwood games 1 and 2. 2011 was more a reflection of where Collingwood were mentally than geelong, you know because Chris Scott is such a bad coach, so it wasn't his doing which got the players up for a big win v outstanding fav at the time for the flag.

I respect your right to have an opinion.

I do not respect that particular opinion.

Geelong in 2007 were 2-3 after the first five rounds. By the end of home and away they were a juggernaut. They certainly weren't dominant from the very start.

Geelong in 2007 were 2-3 after the first five rounds. By the end of home and away they were a juggernaut. They certainly weren't dominant from the very start.

In 2009 we played Melb on our home deck. It very much looked like we were going to lose all day until some Joel Corey magic. That year we looked avg at many times throughout the year on the back of '08 where we looked invincible most of the year. Haw looked invincible many times '12 yet lost. Their best footy was played in the finals '13. The commentators script had Rich in 'finals form tune up, and its so good to watch', after the first two goals last week, and yet we dominated after that. My point of agreement is that h&a form doesn't always translate to finals. We will be underdogs and that's exactly what we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 30 goal win in round 6 and the 6 goal win against the title favourites the following week can still be classified as us playing our best football from very early in the season

Commentators have seen how Geelong perform against the top sides (Adelaide and Sydney), how they perform away from home, and how they perform in finals, hence not being a threat in finals is an easy prediction to make.
We have drawn with gws, 1-1 with crows and beaten Richmond. We have only lost four away games. How we play in finals is yet to determined. So I reckon they are just crap predictions from commentators who don't really know footy.

Everyone is banking on hawkins coming back but i just cant see him refraining from a jumper punch. There is so much b.s pushing and bumping at the start and in the first qtr and poor old tommy will hold someones jumper, raggety anne them and he'll be gone for another 3 weeks. The media will love replaying the incident and hanging him out to dry. Its a guarantee.

Apologies but im overseas and couldnt watch the game. Did we lay a shepherd during the game and im not talking about a bumping because a player just got caught between the ball carrier and the opposition..wtf dont we shepherd..we never have. And while im at it, we never man the mark, we always stand about 5m back from the mark. Other teams shepherd against us and man the mark pushing pressure on our defenders, it works, why not copy them. Shepherd and man the mark

Swans dismantled us only a few weeks ago, Adelaide have done the same. Don't get caught up in the hype, Geelong 2017 is a very vulnerable prospect for the finals.
But (imo) we didn't get dismantled by the Swans. You can look to the score, but my view is how we played. For 2 quarters we dominated the play. 2nd and 3rd. But we couldn't buy a goal. Swans 1st quarter was full of arsey goals. We never recovered from those two things. That game was not a full picture of two teams going at it and lets see who is the better by any means. As for Adelaide, we belted them once this season. Its one-all. Wait for the finals.

2007 09 11 is a long time ago and this currtent Geelong side is no where near as hungry as that group of players from what I can tell

Last edited:
In 2009 we played Melb on our home deck. It very much looked like we were going to lose all day until some Joel Corey magic. That year we looked avg at many times throughout the year on the back of '08 where we looked invincible most of the year. Haw looked invincible many times '12 yet lost. Their best footy was played in the finals '13. The commentators script had Rich in 'finals form tune up, and its so good to watch', after the first two goals last week, and yet we dominated after that. My point of agreement is that h&a form doesn't always translate to finals. We will be underdogs and that's exactly what we want.

Don't think it makes much difference. We're either going to be good enough or not. Whether we're favourites or underdogs won't make much difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back