Review Geelong defeats Pies by 21 points @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling was slow. Couch was slow. Diesel was slow. All winners. GHS is slightly ahead of Scooter now, I'd say. Speed isn't everything.

And who would you want to have the ball in the forward 50 (well anywhere on the ground really)? GHS has a touch of class around goal doesn't he?

I think it is unlikely he supplants S Selwood in the side but there is little difference to them in terms of contribution to the side.

GHS is miles cleaner with the ball. Scott is a great defensive player. I think they probably need him given them mix of midfield but GHS is a capable AFL player.

I know you do. That's my point. We were both badly hampered by injury but we also lost two during the game. Greenwood has owned Joel Selwood for a few seasons-not bad for a spud. As stated before -we have comfortably beaten you with all the players you cited as missing in the team.

And we comfortably spanked you in the 2011 GF...

Been and gone. We can only beat who you put out there. And we did.

I presume you have been as conciliatory to us in all the games we've lost thus far with our injury list.

Yeah... nah.

Go Catters

And we comfortably spanked you in the 2011 GF...

Been and gone. We can only beat who you put out there. And we did.

I presume you have been as conciliatory to us in all the games we've lost thus far with our injury list.

Yeah... nah.

Go Catters
Scott rebuilt the list and didn’t trade away all the premierships players because of his ego.

Meanwhile, Buckley threw away the team and rebuilt the side with the players he wanted.

Guess which coach has had a more successful career so far

3rd>>>>> 11th

The flog can cry hard into his pillow believing whatever he wants, the results speak for themselves.

giphy.gif
but he's got no Ruby for his efforts...

Go Catters

People can think what they want. Continually bemused by how worked up posters get by contrary views. Who cares.

Their forward line played poor because they are poor, and our backline thrashed them. Can't think of a defender we had who didn't nullify their opponents. Our midfield controlled the ball better and we used it better in the forward line.

Plus, you can't complain you're unlucky when you only kick 5 goals in perfect conditions. The reality is they weren't good enough.
Exactly, but don't expect the football media to say that this week. They'll gloss over it to keep the vast amount of Collingwood supporters engaged.

Chalk that one up to a well crafted game plan which we stuck to all game , fantastic all round effort against a team that we have had issues with for some time.
Really liking the total team defence which has dried up the oppositions scoring since the Eagles game. We are definitely in the mix and must use the next few weeks to build percentage and a solid number of wins.
We are still a work in progress and I see many anxious moments ahead in terms of team selection and MC bashing once we get more players available ;)

We are doing a lot right but I see several issues to be mindful of :
< Backline - need to get the balance of talls and mediums right with Harry back and Henderson a possibility to return
< Mids - we aren't pacy chasing the opposition with Ablett, Selwoods , GHS and Menegola - might hurt in September on a fast MCG deck?
< Ruck - agree with Scott that its' horses for courses but can't play both
< Forwards - get the right balance between forward pressure and potency
Go Cats :)

with Harry back and Henderson a possibility to return
Fantastic summary F2G. I'm doubting that we will see Hendo back this year. Menzel & Cocky will really bolster the forward line and give us scoreboard pressure we are lacking. Menzel would have a huge difference yesterday.

Looking at the game again, the way the team moved that zone up the ground so precise cutting off Collingwood's options and making them kick sideways, rather than run and carry, was superb. Sure, it lowers the spectacle of the game, but the way the coaches have drilled the team after that embarrassing loss to Hawthorn has been outstanding. Chris Scott outcoached Buckley in that game, and our players were better. Also, I'm glad my fears of playing on the wider ground proved unfounded this time. maybe that Deakin oval is starting to pay off.

Looking at the game again, the way the team moved that zone up the ground so precise cutting off Collingwood's options and making them kick sideways, rather than run and carry, was superb. Sure, it lowers the spectacle of the game, but the way the coaches have drilled the team after that embarrassing loss to Hawthorn has been outstanding. Chris Scott outcoached Buckley in that game, and our players were better. Also, I'm glad my fears of playing on the wider ground proved unfounded this time. maybe that Deakin oval is starting to pay off.

Appreciate the observation regarding the zone BlakeyNoFlakey - impossible to pick that up on the TV coverage but you certainly got a sense we were well set up ahead of the footy for most of the game.
Huge contrast to the only live game I've seen V Eagles where our zone for the first half was absolutely putrid , loosest I have ever seen to be honest.
Great response by the Coaches and Team since then , deserves enormous credit :thumbsu:

Chalk that one up to a well crafted game plan which we stuck to all game , fantastic all round effort against a team that we have had issues with for some time.
Really liking the total team defence which has dried up the oppositions scoring since the Eagles game. We are definitely in the mix and must use the next few weeks to build percentage and a solid number of wins.
We are still a work in progress and I see many anxious moments ahead in terms of team selection and MC bashing once we get more players available ;)

We are doing a lot right but I see several issues to be mindful of :
< Backline - need to get the balance of talls and mediums right with Harry back and Henderson a possibility to return
< Mids - we aren't pacy chasing the opposition with Ablett, Selwoods , GHS and Menegola - might hurt in September on a fast MCG deck?
< Ruck - agree with Scott that its' horses for courses but can't play both
< Forwards - get the right balance between forward pressure and potency
Go Cats :)
Was interesting to hear C Scott say they tweaked a few things after Round 3 in the defence.

We went from 16th in the comp to a very narrow 3rd for Points Against (5 points behind North) since then.

Needless to say, whatever the tweaks were, it worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flicked over to triple m as I was driving in this morning. The news announcer said something along the lines of “A gallant Collingwood went down to the cats yesterday after a few injuries and the umpires”.

How unprofessional can you get. It wasn’t even Eddy. I stopped listening to that station awhile ago after it was complete s**t. I’m now deleting it from my radio.

Flicked over to triple m as I was driving in this morning. The news announcer said something along the lines of “A gallant Collingwood went down to the cats yesterday after a few injuries and the umpires”.

How unprofessional can you get. It wasn’t even Eddy. I stopped listening to that station awhile ago after it was complete s**t. I’m now deleting it from my radio.
Just catering to the fan base in melbourne, wouldn’t get too upset tbh.

Fantastic summary F2G. I'm doubting that we will see Hendo back this year. Menzel & Cocky will really bolster the forward line and give us scoreboard pressure we are lacking. Menzel would have a huge difference yesterday.
There were behinds yesterday or efforts yesterday from Parsons (like his bad marking effort against Dunn) where you go "Damn Menzel nails that."

Parsons out, Menzel in, and we are up by 9 goals at HT yesterday.
At the end of the day, Grundy wasn't the influence you would think he would be, the defence was miserly (the umpire kicked their only first half goal for them) and our forwardline made things tighter than it needed to be but getting Menzel and Hawkins back fixes that problem.

Funny since some awful umpiring gifted the Pies cheap goals. Off the top of my head there was the 50m penalty to give them their only goal for the first half (lawl) and there was a goal from Grundy where he was holding Harry as much as Harry had him (he nearly ripped Harrys shorts off) and yet he gets the free kick.

Also, we get injuries and late withdraws every week, so you know, * off Collingwood and deal with it.

Just catering to the fan base in melbourne, wouldn’t get too upset tbh.
I know mate it just pisses me off. That’s why I stay away from the main board these days. Just complete and utter s**t. I shouldn’t have to put up with it on commercial radio too.

Rant/

There were behinds yesterday or efforts yesterday from Parsons (like his bad marking effort against Dunn) where you go "Damn Menzel nails that."

At the end of the day, Grundy wasn't the influence you would think he would be, the defence was miserly (the umpire kicked their only first half goal for them) and our forwardline made things tighter than it needed to be but getting Menzel and Hawkins back fixes that problem.

Funny since some awful umpiring gifted the Pies cheap goals. Off the top of my head there was the 50m penalty to give them their only goal for the first half (lawl) and there was a goal from Grundy where he was holding Harry as much as Harry had him (he nearly ripped Harrys shorts off) and yet he gets the free kick.

Also, we get injuries and late withdraws every week, so you know, **** off Collingwood and deal with it.
Also the goal where selwood got punched in the head and spilled the mark as a result and pies run down and kick a goal. It was unbelievable how selwood didn't get a free there.

That' 3 of their 4 goals from bad umpiring.

Also the goal where selwood got punched in the head and spilled the mark as a result and pies run down and kick a goal. It was unbelievable how selwood didn't get a free there.

That' 3 of their 4 goals from bad umpiring.
And the Pie supporters all whinge about the elbow to the head Kolo (was it?) gave out.

Even though the umpire clearly said "Yeah, because you were holding onto him after the mark"

Delusional.

Also, we get injuries and late withdraws every week, so you know, **** off Collingwood and deal with it.
Agree absolutely on Menzel. He was the difference yesterday in the goal square and goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back