Review Geelong defeats Port Adelaide by 34 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Do tell?!
Tom Mitchell intentional elbow to Goldsteins head off the ball no suspension. Actually jumps up into him. Jack Graham last week got a week for similar contact to Zorko which at least was in play. Burton decides not to tackle but to bump Higgins resulting in a serious concussion it’s reveiwed as accidental and gets off. On top of that they have given Joel a week for contact via jumper punch to Lindsay Thomas’s head in the scuffle following his hit on SS. There isn’t even clear proof of direct contact to Thomas’s head. Looks like Joel hits the ground. It’s a farce.

Tom Mitchell intentional elbow to Goldsteins head off the ball no suspension. Actually jumps up into him. Jack Graham last week got a week for similar contact to Zorko which at least was in play. Burton decides not to tackle but to bump Higgins resulting in a serious concussion it’s reveiwed as accidental and gets off. On top of that they have given Joel a week for contact via jumper punch to Lindsay Thomas’s head in the scuffle following his hit on SS. There isn’t even clear proof of direct contact to Thomas’s head. Looks like Joel hits the ground. It’s a farce.

I was curious about the behaviour at the daughter’s match?

Tom’s turn this year. Was Dusty’s last. The panel (last year) and Christian will look for reasons to “acquit”.

PORT ADELAIDE v GEELONG
9 J. Selwood (Geel)
5 Bews (Geel)
5 Dangerfield (Geel)
3 Blicavs (Geel)
3 Wines (PA)
2 R. Gray (PA)
2 Menegola (Geel)
1 Horlin-Smith (Geel)

Hmm ... few of this site’s favourite whipping boys in the votes. Four if you count Bews (pretty much written off back in 2016).
Not judging- just observing...

Guthrie is a better attacking fwd. waste of time him in defence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hes never kicked many goals as a forward and never really dominated the midfield either. Ive always believed defence is where hes best but after the weekend I have the feeling that hes not that much better than GHS and others to be given the golden ticket at selection every week. Bieng an automatic selection every week has made him far to comfortable in his game.

Tom’s turn this year. Was Dusty’s last. The panel (last year) and Christian will look for reasons to “acquit”.
Once maybe.
No second chance for TMitch I suspect.
It's Fyfe/Dusty for the Brownlow anyway.

Hes never kicked many goals as a forward and never really dominated the midfield either. Ive always believed defence is where hes best but after the weekend I have the feeling that hes not that much better than GHS and others to be given the golden ticket at selection every week. Bieng an automatic selection every week has made him far to comfortable in his game.

Absolutely don’t agree. He’s always had his good games when going fwd and having a hand in goals. Looks all wrong down back. Maybe he’s wingman. Never confident with him down back,

Hmm ... few of this site’s favourite whipping boys in the votes. Four if you count Bews (pretty much written off back in 2016).

Good post: Was it last year a certain poster was just going off every week about Bics being terrible? Now he’s a bit indispensable.

Bloody hell Joel being reported.

I'll fess up on Bews. I think after the gold coast loss last year I said it might be time for the club to cut its losses with Murdoch and Bews because they'll never be more than fringe players:oops:

On the positive side I was never in the absurd 'Blicavs must have compromising photos of Scott' group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t that brilliant!!! Loved Bews’ game, how great was that intensity? That’s the sort of effort we’d have seen from Dasher, need more of that from other players. Really pleased with our Backline Boyz!

I'll fess up on Bews. I think after the gold coast loss last year I said it might be time for the club to cut its losses with Murdoch and Bews because they'll never be more than fringe players:oops:

On the positive side I was never in the absurd 'Blicavs must have compromising photos of Scott' group.
Im pleased to see this.

I was on Bewsy early days and have advocated patience - and he's copped a lot. Even before the Crows game a few years ago when Betts got 2 on him - he's worked really hard on his craft and fitness and has become a serious lock down and now an attacking option running off back line.

Good to see people recognising that. Well played.

Go Catters

Good write-up! But this sticks in my craw

The Cats are winning at the moment, so this is being forgiven, but his effort to tackle Jack Hombsch in the last quarter was one of the most pathetic efforts to apply physical pressure I’ve ever seen.

I genuinely think that, after four knee recos and a LARS partial reco, that Menz either can't swivel the knees to effect a decent tackle or he's deathly afraid to since the exertion plus sudden change in momentum and direction might destroy his knee/s altogether.

I could be wrong. A medico might point to my concerns and poo-poo them. If so, fair enough.

But, until I know better, I'll defend Menzel's lack of defensive efforts. I'll say that he's so damn useful with what he can still do that the rest does not matter so much.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

Absolutely brilliant Sicko! Just stonking!
Totally agree! Couldn't agree more!

As someone who's had more knee injuries (over a much longer time) than Menzel, I have to say that the fact he is back playing AFL is miraculous! I don't give a damn about his defensive pressure! I'm going to say again:
  • Champion Data ranks Menzel as an ‘elite’ general forward;
  • He is currently the sixth highest ranking player in this category;
  • Kicked multiple goals in 15 of his 19 matches in 2017:
  • Menzel is in the Top Five general forwards for:
    • Contested Marks;
    • Goals;
  • In the Top 10 for
    • Assists; +
    • Score Involvements.
  • Menzel is a marvellous Contest Player, so far in 2018 winning six out of six, one on one contests.
So he doesn't tackle much? What is the main role for a Forward? Kicking goals, right? Not every player is absolutely perfect, Dangerfield's kicking stinks sometimes, Gaz cannot really take overhead Marks anymore + Geelong doesn't even have an A Grade Ruck, but people continue to make Menzel the 'Defensive Pressure' whipping boy!

Without Hawkins in the Port game, Menzel was double scragged all game - how important is Tomahawk's role to Menzel's game? How would Menzel tackling have stopped the double scragging?

Fogarty laid 10 Tackles in the Port game, let him play the Defensive Forward role +++ if we had another small forward like Gregson or McCarthy, to crumb the ball, it would improve our Forward Line.

In the St Kilda game, Menzel kicked five goals in the first half, none after Gregson was injured. Fogarty also contributed with DP in this game.

Leave the goal kicking, CP + GA to Menzel, let the other Forwards apply their DP + kick goals, get another small Forward into the side. Also, why can't some of the Midfielders back up Menzel with Tackling to support?

This constant banging on + on + on about Menzel's poor tackling is so irritating, it's just nit picking! Focus on his strengths, just as his strengths support + fill in for other players' weaknesses!

I'll defend Menzel's lack of defensive efforts. I'll say that he's so damn useful with what he can still do that the rest does not matter so much.

*Rant over*

Last edited:
By that theory then hartlett was faking it too cause he went off on a stretcher and came back on later. Faker. Didn’t even need the stretcher and it was clearly some sort of time wasting tactic :rolleyes:

Obviously Hartlett was a bigger faker than Scooter ;) Used the stretcher, then returned to play again :rolleyes:

Remember in 2016 when Port was fined $20k for breaking the Concussion Rules, allowing Hartlett to return to the field too soon after his head knock?

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

Absolutely brilliant Sicko! Just stonking!
Totally agree! Couldn't agree more!

As someone who's had more knee injuries (over a much longer time) than Menzel, I have to say that the fact he is back playing AFL is miraculous! I don't give a damn about his defensive pressure! I'm going to say again:
  • Champion Data ranks Menzel as an ‘elite’ general forward;
  • He is currently the sixth highest ranking player in this category;
  • Kicked multiple goals in 15 of his 19 matches in 2017:
  • Menzel is in the Top Five general forwards for:
    • Contested Marks;
    • Goals;
  • In the Top 10 for
    • Assists; +
    • Score Involvements.
  • Menzel is a marvellous Contest Player, so far in 2018 winning six out of six, one on one contests.
So he doesn't tackle much? What is the main role for a Forward? Kicking goals, right? Not every player is absolutely perfect, Dangerfield's kicking stinks sometimes, Gaz cannot really take overhead Marks anymore + Geelong doesn't even have an A Grade Ruck, but people continue to make Menzel the 'Defensive Pressure' whipping boy!

Without Hawkins in the Port game, Menzel was double scragged all game - how important is Tomahawk's role to Menzel's game? How would Menzel tackling have stopped the double scragging?

Fogarty laid 10 Tackles in the Port game, let him play the Defensive Forward role +++ if we had another small forward like Gregson or McCarthy, to crumb the ball, it would improve our Forward Line.

In the St Kilda game, Menzel kicked five goals in the first half, none after Gregson was injured. Fogarty also contributed with DP in this game.

Leave the goal kicking, CP + GA to Menzel, let the other Forwards apply their DP + kick goals, get another small Forward into the side. Also, why can't some of the Midfielders back up Menzel with Tackling to support?

This constant banging on + on + on about Menzel's poor tackling is so irritating, it's just nit picking! Focus on his strengths, just as his strengths support + fill in for other players' weaknesses!

*Rant over*
The interesting thing is our improvement has followed our trend of tackles and defensive acts inside 50 improving considerably over the past few weeks. They showed the stats on talking footy i think it was as it has improved with every game so far. So our forward defensive work is starting to hit its straps.

The interesting thing is our improvement has followed our trend of tackles and defensive acts inside 50 improving considerably over the past few weeks. They showed the stats on talking footy i think it was as it has improved with every game so far. So our forward defensive work is starting to hit its straps.
Maybe this stat?
86fe227cf6fa0cb165029586f4106058.jpg

Also Blicavs move to KPD.

PORT ADELAIDE v GEELONG
9 J. Selwood (Geel)
5 Bews (Geel)
5 Dangerfield (Geel)
3 Blicavs (Geel)
3 Wines (PA)
2 R. Gray (PA)
2 Menegola (Geel)
1 Horlin-Smith (Geel)

Interesting that Bews or Dangerfield got best on by 1 coach and nothing from the other. I’d say Dangerfield.

Sorry Mad_Hatter, that isn't true. Joel was given 9. So at least 1 coach gave him 5. My guess is something like this.

Coach 1: Selwood 5, Dangerfield 4, Blicavs 3, Gray 2, GHS 1
Coach 2: Bews 5, Selwood 4, Wines 3, Menegola 2, Dangerfield 1

Not attacking you just noticed a mistake. A mistake I've made many times myself.

I'm a bit older than most posters, and my feeling is that ANZAC day really gained a new momentum when the belated recognition of the Vietnam Vets happened. It really tuned the then younger generation in to the Vietnam war, and the broader recognition of servicemen. Also John Howard's high level of jingoism helped the profile of ANZAC day generally.

I think add to the Vietnam War + Howard's Australia's involvement in:
  • First Gulf War - 1990–91;
  • Second Gulf War - 2003–09;
  • Afghanistan - 2001-
  • Operation Astute Indonesia - 2006–2013
  • War on ISIL - 2014-
The Terrorist Attacks on 11 September + Australia's subsequent involvement impacted upon us + I believe made Australian generations after the Vietnam War realise the importance of our freedom + the recognition of our Defence Forces' sacrifice increased. Many of our older posters had parents/relatives/family friends serve in WWII + many other posters had parents/relatives/family friends serve in the Vietnam War. Since the First Gulf War + continuing through to Afghanistan + ISIL, now many younger posters are more acutely aware of the toll of War - not just an awareness from studying History. The Afghanistan War is Australia's longest war, consequently more Australians are aware of the crucial role Australia has played in the War on Terror. Also the recognition of our Defence Forces, with four Victoria Cross recipients.

In the 14 years prior to 2014, 10,000 Antipodeans visited Gallipoli annually.

Since The Fatal Shore (1987) was shown for years in Australian classrooms it has also spurred young Australians to visit Gallipoli during their Gap Year travels.

In 1990 the Australian Government spent $10 million leading 58 Anzac veterans - aged 91 to 103 - to Anzac Cove for Anzac Day 75th Anniversary of the 1915.

For the ANZAC Day 2015 Centenary of Gallipoli at ANZAC Cove there were 10,500 people + huge numbers of tourists visited during the year.

I think all these factors + probably more have contributed to the increase in respect + recognition for ANZAC Day.

Sorry Mad_Hatter, that isn't true. Joel was given 9. So at least 1 coach gave him 5. My guess is something like this.

Coach 1: Selwood 5, Dangerfield 4, Blicavs 3, Gray 2, GHS 1
Coach 2: Bews 5, Selwood 4, Wines 3, Menegola 2, Dangerfield 1

Not attacking you just noticed a mistake. A mistake I've made many times myself.

Mad_Hatter is correct as shown by your suggested breakdown.

As both Bews & Danger were awarded a total of 5 votes (and we already know Selwood got the other 5), one of them got 5 votes & the other 4 & 1.

Or means one coach see one of those players as BOG while the other coach found no room for then to receive votes.

The other player who got 5 votes received votes from both coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back