Review Geelong defeats Port by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair up until we got in front in the last few minutes all the cats fans around me were blaming the umpires as well. The average footy fan is not that bright...evidenced by the incessant pleas from the stands to just boot the ball long every single time.
Geelong supporters are embarrassing full stop.

The constant vitriol directed at one player for most of the game sums most of them up to a tee.

Don't go on social media lol, Geelong are coping heat and 'duckwood' is getting thrown around everywhere.

People are melting hard.
Shits me and I'm starting to bite back which I never do. One woman said "you could knock Selwood over with a feather" to which I replied "so how did he get voted most courageous player 4 times by his peers". I hate getting sucked into arguments with idiots

Haven't seen any one mention it yet, but massive pat on the back for Parsons in the last minute or so... he provided some great body work to clean out a couple of port players, stopped them having a clear run at goal with the ball and we got the ball back that was then marked by Scoot (i believe)

I'm going to watch the replay probably tomorrow... will be interesting as I felt at the ground we weren't that clean going forward

But every chance I am influenced by the end more than the start
It's my opinion that we kept using one handball too many. Almost like we expected pressure like last week.
The problem was we hand balled to a player in a worse position when we should have taken another metre and kicked it.
Well that was my vibe anyway.

Mitch Duncan having a career best season, gotta love his work this year. Personally, I'm happy if he can continue to sneak somewhat under the radar while we have the likes of DangerWoodWood in the side because it seems that opposition teams aren't necessarily putting as much time into him as they are into others. If Duncan can continue with his form, it'll help the likes of DangerWoodWood because suddenly we aren't just a two-man midfield of DangerWood with Wood Jnr a handy addition.

Blicavs stood up in game #100. He had a couple of massive smothers tonight, some strong contested marks and then capped it off with that goal. Just frustrating that he couldn't kick that one in the first quarter that he should have - or maybe we just get him to start taking marks in the pocket. I think his last two weeks have been an improvement on his month prior to that, so maybe there is something in the talk of him being sore, and like Dangerfield with the rib issue after the Hawthorn match, Blicavs is now over that issue.

Murdoch looks a different player the last couple of weeks, especially with the intensity and the intent he is playing with. He doesn't look lost like he doesn't know what he is meant to be doing, so not sure if there has been something different said to him by the coaches or captain but the last two weeks he looks comfortable and like he know his role. His ability to stick contested marks, and float in front of packs is what we need from someone of his height - doesn't have to be the hanger on the oppositions shoulders but creating a contest so that if he isn't marking then he isn't allowing his opponent to mar either. And his tackling has been great, some really strong tackles that seemed to have crunched the opposition to the point that they are feeling the tackle when they are trying to stand up. And he tried to go for a couple of runs - again, that is something we have missed and if he has the confidence to continue to do that then it gives up another weapon.

Bews would have to be our best small defender, his reliability in one-on-one contests is fantastic, so hopefully the leg issue isn't too serious and he is able to pull up ok for next week because he was extremely important against the Crows (twice) last year shutting down Betts from half-way through the first game. When he was off the field tonight he was missed and I have to give him credit for doing everything he could to stay on the field in the last when it was clear he was in pain. Just before Selwood kicked it out on the full up their end he was lining up on Gray and not sure what happened after a marking contest but he could barely move; at the subsequent ball up(s) he did everything he could to stay in touch with Gray and not let him get away even though he has a massive limp and could barely put any weight on his leg - doubt he wanted to go off, and I really wanted to acknowledge that effort.

I know that DangerWood get a lot of credit when we win, but I think that we and the media seem to skim over some of the lesser likes and see the important role that they are also playing. While they may not be as spectacular or flashy as DangerWood, the role, effort and energy they bring is as important to helping the team win.
Great post

Totally agree on Murdoch. Several times recently I have wondered "who is that biggish player crashing in, or stopping a running player like a brick wall?", followed by "holy crap! It's murda!"

I really think he is improving again after a looooong period of plateau.

Main board is hilarious at the moment. I'm not sure if Geelong have ever won a game without the umps' help according to that area of the site. Although every gameday thread for every game degenerates into umpire blaming so maybe it's just a playground for the perpetually feeble-minded. Go Cats! May flog tears sustain you for the winter months! :p
Sadly, the thread about Port being robbed by the umpires was started immediately after the game by a supposed Cats supporter new to Big Footy. You have to wonder if he is really "new", if you get my drift.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shits me and I'm starting to bite back which I never do. One woman said "you could knock Selwood over with a feather" to which I replied "so how did he get voted most courageous player 4 times by his peers". I hate getting sucked into arguments with idiots

Best to hold your tongue Scottland2007 and reflect on how they know SFA about Football if they honestly hold that view.
Pound for pound there's none tougher , more courageous or as inspiring as our skipper - I remember him in 2007 crashing into Williams ( CHB for Bullies) as they both went flat out for the footy - Williams never returned to the field that game. Selwood hasn't looked back since.
You can block him , strangle him , kick him in the cods or bear hug him - he doesn't give a crap - just wants the footy at any cost :thumbsu:

It's hard not to bite back.

Selwood is one of the toughest players I've seen, amazes me how people can call him soft or a sook.

It's hard not to bite back.

Selwood is one of the toughest players I've seen, amazes me how people can call him soft or a sook.
Even Dermott Brereton - YES, Dermie - was singing his praises last night

Even Dermott Brereton - YES, Dermie - was singing his praises last night
Yep but really he was the culprit who started the whole let's turn on Selwood thing and he pursued it relentlessly and people are so stupid about footy, they fell for it, and a monster was created. And really, it was just because Joel flogged the hawks all those times and he was sick of it. So dermie is not redeemable for mine. Never went after hodgey for the elbows to heads off ball! And dermie was an out and out dirty thug into the bargain, yet Selwood bothers him-give it a spell.

Last edited:
Question for those that know how to track down rules easily.
There is a protected area around Dixon. 10m.
Let's say I'm standing at 8m but I'm guarding a port player. Am I allowed to be there?

Note, I felt like Duncan was further than 10 anyway.

Let's say I'm standing at 8m but I'm guarding a port player. Am I allowed to be there?

Yes, so long as you are obviously on a port player.
If a port team mate is standing NEXT to Dixon you can stand there with him.

I know. I'm absolutely fuming. Everyone and their dog are having pot shots.

I am sure if you are guarding an oppo player it is fine.

In the 3rd when Mots had that shot from 50 Westhoff followed Tuohy to the point he was 2m away from Mots..

Yep but really he was the culprit who started the whole let's turn on Selwood thing and he pursued it relentlessly and people are so stupid about footy, they fell for it, and a monster was created. And really, it was just because Joel flogged the hawks all thos times and he was sick of it. So dermie is not redeemable for mine. Never went after hodgey for the elbows to heads off ball!

I thought Eddie McGuire started it when he wrote a letter to the AFL complaining about Selwood back in 08 or 09 complaint about the frees he gets?

Duncan was fine. Taylor ran past to get to westoff? And he may have run through the area for a second. However they hardly ever pay infringing the zone this year-they did a bit last year but it's dropped right off.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back