Review Geelong defeats Port by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Jealous spite
I've told this before about Selwood but will again.

My mate coached him in an inter league GF when Selwood was 17 (I think) and captain. He was off the ground with a knee issue in the second half and his team were down. He said to the coach, put me on for the last 1/4 I can win the game for us. My mate did and Selwood did.

My mate says he has never seen a tougher and more competitive footballer in 50 years of playing and coaching.

The Selwood hate is disgraceful, and the booing should be getting criticised as much as it was when it was Goodes and Watson on the receiving end. As much as I wanna bite, I remind myself that you can't argue with stupidity. So I just note to myself how pathetic these people are, and then I take a look at Joel's long list of accolades, and laugh.
Don't be too hard on stupid people, cos they don't know they are stupid.

Main board is like that after every game now-it's just an umpiring bashing extravaganza -really tedious.

Umpires, Duckwood, it was actually really boring.

The funniest thing with the Duckwood part of it is they'll say that he bends at the knees, shrugs his shoulders or raises his arm. They all equate this to a duck. They seemed to be that enraged that Geelong's playing that I'm sure not too many of them watch the game properly.

The funniest thing with the Duckwood part of it is they'll say that he bends at the knees, shrugs his shoulders or raises his arm. They all equate this to a duck. They seemed to be that enraged that Geelong's playing that I'm sure not too many of them watch the game properly.
Yep it's purest of irrational outrage-a wonder to behold really.

They 'supposedly' changed the rules to stop Selwood getting frees....
Turns out it has little to do with Selwood ducking, and more to do with the quality of tackling on the bloke with his head over the ball

It worked well in the first half when we managed to pick out targets with excellent kicks inside 50. That won't always be so. But it's no coincidence we have won the last two when we have returned to the press that served us so well last year after three weeks of garbage loose zoning.

On the bigger ground we have to be willing to move the ball quicker from the contest than we have in the past. Can't hope to force a lot of contests and high balls into our D50. It just doesn't work.

I have a theory: the way the players came out V Bullies suggests that they had had some (or lots of) input into the change in setups /game plan. Vs Port wasn't much different - great effort and intent again against a very determined opposition.

Funny how we see polar opposite traits in the same player. I like how cool and controlled he looked v Dogs. And I don't see him as slow.
Haven't seen all the Port game yet.

Re Kolo Agree with this and the posts above.

He is cool AND calculating. Non demonstrative like a lot of very good defenders. Do job get on with next one.
He makes early decisions to leave his man and assist defensive teammates and closes the space very well for a big unit.
Some of his spoils destroy the ball - real intent.

He is a very sure overhead mark also- we saw this in his VFL games where he has more license to be attacking.

He did slip over twice early in this week's game which - a poor start for him. But he fought back well and he has much better times ahead I suspect.

Last edited:
Tough stretch coming up......I really hope we are looking for a settled line up.

Adelaide: Home
Eagles: Perth
Freo: Home
Giants: Interstate
Brisbane: Interstate
Hawks: MCG
Adelaide: Interstate

This week is critical going into the bye

Tough stretch coming up......I really hope we are looking for a settled line up.

Adelaide: Home
Eagles: Perth
Freo: Home
Giants: Interstate
Brisbane: Interstate
Hawks: MCG
Adelaide: Interstate

This week is critical going into the bye
Not as tough as you imagine.

We play Perth and AO well as they are two of the narrower grounds in the league and we have two at home.

I reckon at worst we'll walk away 5-2 but I'm tipping it'll be 6-1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spotless.
That changes things then, I thought it was at Manuka for some reason and on the wider ground.

Spotless is similar in dimensions to KP which suits our game.

The amount of clueless ranting since Thursday night, in particular about the Dixon play on call, only shows that a large percentage of footy fans don't know the rules.

Can't say I'm shocked by that revelation.
I'm as shocked as anything that he was an absolute certainty to kick the goal, especially after he badly missed one from an easier postion earlier in the night

The amount of clueless ranting since Thursday night, in particular about the Dixon play on call, only shows that a large percentage of footy fans don't know the rules.

Can't say I'm shocked by that revelation.
I thought people wee arguing more about the rule not always being applied in other instances, rather than knowing the rules
On that point they are 100% correct....but the facts are the umpires got it right.
This board has them too......they'll blame the umpires first opportunity they get

Looked at the stats in the Herald-Sun. Scores were 81-79 (obviously) but expected scores were 106-82 our way. That would've been a much better illustration of the balance of play last night.
Yep had we taken our chances in the first quarter then the game would have been over early on with Port playing catch up footy.

Yep had we taken our chances in the first quarter then the game would have been over early on with Port playing catch up footy.

Not only that, but we hit the post 3 times in the 3rd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back