Review Geelong defeats Port by 60 points.. Great team win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

On yesterdays performance, Fogarty won't be going anywhere. Started slowly, but his second half was excellent.

He's a player.

Last quarter l thought, but we'll see if he gets another one, prefer about 6 others before him, but he's still got to get selected next week yet.

Yeah I saw that. Thought Carey was choc full of praise for us all night on 7.
Bruce is just a silly ******** who shouldn't be on TV. So there's no point worrying about him. He wrecks every game.
BT has to say that sort of stuff. It's his job to make unrealistic statements to keep people watching.
Dwayne is way worse on Fox. 10 goals down in the last qr but they just need a Firestarter.
They have to do it.

Dwayne hates Geelong ....Dwayne a pain.

1. There's been a few distinct changes this year, or more particularly over the course of the last 4 or so weeks and it relates to our ball movement. It's still slow at times but it's now more direct. No longer are we selling teammates into trouble with handball by going backwards or sideways to stagnant players, it's done in a more thourough way. We're moving forward to receive rather than being stationary. It's proactive movement rather than reactive. Our midfield are running harder and they're running both ways. It's surprising given the short turnaround in games but we're now fitter than we've ever been and some credit must go to the fitness staff.

Good post, wanted to highlight this as something that's been bubbling in my consciousness and finally came out in full realization last night. The handball chains with this group have been less than effective nor cohesive.
Last night they were really good, and getting closer to the all-out corridor attack handballs of the 3P group's. :thumbsu:

We did get the ball in, but Danger dropped a mark which Stanley was ready to take on the chest - would have been perfect timing if the mark was held
That's not the example i'm thinking of.I'll have to watch the game again at some stage,some rubbish games coming up this weekend anyway.

It's not as easy for them saying we won't leave him one out. That's why its called strategy. Teammates like Rohan make sure to keep their defender accountable so that they simply can't drop off him or else he'll be the one taking the mark. You cant tell me after Hawkins 3rd goal that Port were intentionally leaving him one out. It's about spreading their defense so they are left shaking their heads.

No coincidence that Tom has had a lot more one on ones since we have adopted quicker ball movement into F50👍
He will win a majority of these.
Much harder to get back and double team or create extra cover when we do that, well done Catters

Where do I start ... it seems quality of your posts are becoming richer with reminiscence. Hooraa CC

The aligning of historical pain of a supporter to 'PTSD' is something I'd never thought of, I'd probably say the technicality of it , is more a question for the medically educated than I but I have often wondered about the label and our issues that seem similar. What causes one to feel pain long after the cause of the pain has stopped. Some sort mental branding that puts an X on a spot, as if an event itself takes ownership of you.

I wonder if a part of 'PTSD' is being thrust into a situation without true knowledge of their circumstance. I visualise the scene in 'Saving Private Ryan' when the civilians are caught in the crossfire, desperate to pass off their child, to yearn for the safety of non participation. Like some sort of Agoraphobia where the phobia drives seclusion, does one who has nearly drowned covet for the deep end of the pool again. Does one who has been frostbitten, desire the fresh whites of winter or do they pack up head to warmer clim's. When I was young, talking to survivors of wars gone past, how they had lived on dripping and whatever else they could catch and one could see how it had shaped them , and some were in no hurry to be concerned with being slim. They enjoyed the bountiful feel of rotundness.

Is the 'PTSD' type condition also from being involved , and to some degree self inflicted? The faith you have placed in someone or something has put you in a situation that you no longer can control. When your faith has burned you and to some degree an anger is created aimed at oneself. To put faith in something and hand over control to someone else, it sound a little masochistic. I think of climbing into a plane that looks less than safe. I can see how some people struggle with the abdication of control, the submission to faith , lay yourself open on a Mayan alter and be unprotected.... yet again.

At times I have thought about parallels to aweful situations which really do not compare... but trying to understand.. is there some sort of understanding to be gained. Why would one willing submit to a relationship that is bound to cause you pain. How long does it take to learn? Does one believe promises of exceptional circumstances, that painful events were really singular events , that you should ante up and trust and have faith, commune yet again, even as you suffer with a metaphorical black eye.

I certainly think there is something to be said that players themselves can be affected by certain results. Just last night the commentators made reference to the game, making the observation that it looked like Geelong were trying to inflict mental scars. To some degree it seems Port have had that since 07. Grand Final losses can do that. I remember back to 95 , and watched players who had been tru it before become aware that it was going to happen again. I could hear the Rudgum tune ,' I was only 19' in my mind and watched as if the players were hearing the Ch7 chopper chill them to their feet. Watched as they were thinking 'not again'

Then we went quiet and the long rebuild and in 07, it truly was like someone faithful had died and found themselves at the entry gates to heaven. Justification. Faith rewarded. Then 08, the 08 you mention, and yes 08 aquatinted some to the sour taste of big game loss for the first time. Some that were so young that they had never had to drink the vile bile of last day defeat. For me I was just angry. Angry with myself for being confident, for once again having an unreserved faith. Why oh why... and to them? Then as some sort of sporting embrocation, we supped at the cup two more times. Faith restored and rewarded but those from those dark times past remember the dripping eating, and remember the pain of an empty stomach.

Faith restored but deep down there is that dark spot that never really goes away. Id say since 11, slowly faith has ebbed, like a house slowly hollowed out by wood eating insects. For me the house fell in that swans final in 16..so do I have faith now, is this year any different?

The time worn adage of finals will tell.

I will say its interesting that you mentioned the syncing of the backline. Apart from Jack Steven , this year we have a side that has been together far more than in recent years. No recently arrived matures, few spritely keen and bouncing new draftees. We look more in sync across the field not just in D. We seem more balanced atm... but id do still fear that we are still very reliant on some that have never previous been able to be consistent for long. Stanleys performance is critical. Menegola and Guthries elevation gives us flexibility. Parfitt has taken and rung although the rung is only minor. Hawkins is at his zenith, this is as good as well will ever see him. Danger is there as well... so if our group can stay fit and in form. then maybe , yes maybe one should be willing to place ones sporting sanity in the hands of this group. It would be a great way for several on our list to go out ..and importantly for several on our list to experience ultimate and for them to carry on with it, and for our club to continue as a top end one, once the last of the Thompson acolytes have gone.

Lots to unpack, enjoy and ponder here mate, like much of your best work it gets the brain ticking over; thank you; read and re-read to much satisfaction :thumbsu:

Some clubs hold signs, but cats seem to be one of the few that I've never seen signs from the bench, like ever. Think we back our leadership structure to pass the message across the field.
I was wondering about that, especially as to when to go tempo. Without the anytime, anywhere runners, are they shouting out commands from the sidelines?

That isnt really an argument. It doesnt change its bizarreness.

It wasn't presented as an argument....more as a warning that your opinion is unlikely to be shared by the people that count.

.....and what appears to be bizarre to you, isn't to the coach or Atkins team mates. It was reported he was singled out for praise at the quarter time huddle by both coaches and players.

Not yet - considering we have a 9 day break been the Port & Crows match, we can probably digest last night's effort for a day or 2 before moving to preview our next match

This is more of a conventional break between rounds, so going to enjoy a slower pace until the next period of madness
Yes keep the focus here, one of our best wins for some time it deserves to be enjoyed to the fullest.

No coincidence that Tom has had a lot more one on ones since we have adopted quicker ball movement into F50👍
He will win a majority of these.
Much harder to get back and double team or create extra cover when we do that, well done Catters
Exactly, for years we would stuff around with it in the midfield and by the time we kicked it inside 50 the opposition had it flooded. We are finally playing more direct and getting more 1v1 as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read the thread. And you know we need a lid when people are arguing about guys who are playing well.

Sure, on paper the inclusion of Ablett etc makes us look better on paper.
But I'm not sure we can play better than we are.

Just enjoy it guys.

And FWIW, those who wish to knock Jenkins.
That game last night was built for him. His work rate is top notch and he would have loved joe the goose goals.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've read the thread. And you know we need a lid when people are arguing about guys who are playing well.

Sure, on paper the inclusion of Ablett etc makes us look better on paper.
But I'm not sure we can play better than we are.

Just enjoy it guys.

And FWIW, those who wish to knock Jenkins.
That game last night was built for him. His work rate is top notch and he would have loved joe the goose goals.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any old Joe the Goose means you've dropped your opponent.

The issue I have with Dalhaus is that we kick it to him too often for 1:1 marking contests. He’s too short to be a real marking threat so prefer they kick towards Hawk, Rohan, Danger.

Cockatoo forward would be brilliant as very similar physical traits to Rohan so provides another marking forward. Cockatoo reduces need to bring in Sav or JJ.

I would swap out Atkins, Simpson for Ablett and Clark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooney made a good point about Hawkins last night and it makes sense.

Too often I've seen Hawkins and the other forwards wander up the ground and often as far as the defensive 50 that when we get the ball we have nobody to kick to. Our fitness and the pressure the mids are applying has allowed Hawk to stay inside the forward 50, often isolated one on one due to our quicker ball movement which is a resut of our supreme fitness, etc.

This is also having an impact on Rohan's production as well.

I think it's a reason we're also being more proactive with the ball ... we're not being forced back as much due to having forwards where they need to be.

Yes keep the focus here, one of our best wins for some time it deserves to be enjoyed to the fullest.

Exactly - we've played some really good footy over our past 5 games, but until now we haven't really had to the opportunity to fully enjoy it or digest it, as barely 12 hours later we are already shifting focus to our next game

Considering we have the time to enjoy last nights win, lets slow things down and do just that

I see huge positive because we can actually improve from here. Danger more midfield time. A centre half forward back In the team. Ablett and possibly cocky in. We arent even at our best yet.
Just on Dangerfield last night. IMO Scott pulled an old Lions ploy used by Leigh Matthews to keep midfielders fresh from time to time,work up and back between the two 50 mtr arcs,I think danger enjoyed it as well.

from memory the geelong player that actually contested the mark was where the mark was, Duncan just came in and created his own mark and got penalised for it. Just a really dumb play at a pivotal moment I thought.
Yes and Lycett moved to play on and Duncan moved forward to cut it off.

It's not as easy for them saying we won't leave him one out. That's why its called strategy. Teammates like Rohan make sure to keep their defender accountable so that they simply can't drop off him or else he'll be the one taking the mark. You cant tell me after Hawkins 3rd goal that Port were intentionally leaving him one out. It's about spreading their defense so they are left shaking their heads.
Yeah, and they were kind of doing this last year, drawing defenders out of the 50m arc to create one on one contests then running back if the ball spills to get the crumb. The way the opposition last year stopped this was not being drawn up the ground anymore and the defenders staying back. That stopped that plan. It'll happen again now people see what's going on. That's called strategy too.

A point was raised on SEN that with 5 weeks to the finals there's an opportunity for opposition teams to really break down how the Cat's are playing and work out how to best combat it and not give them the kind of chances Port did last night like leaving TBone one on one all night. Hodge said, "That's what happens when you play your best footy 5 weeks out from the finals. It gives other teams a chance to really look at them now."

Port won't leave TBone one on one again, that's for sure. This is the challenge for the Cat's now. We know in 2019 CS really couldn't adjust the side after opposition worked them out. So we'll now get a chance to see if he can do it in 2020. I don't think we'll be seeing TBone left one on one in many games ahead. This is the nature of the competition.

May also depend if we play one of Rata, Jenkins or Krueger as that's an extra big man and potentially changes structure up.

You cant be serious. His one goal was a 10m chip kick to him whilst unmanned from hawkins who should of taken the kick himself. That 1 tackle was excellent and if he did a couple of them a week I would see the merit in him as a defensive forward. But he does that once a month. Didnt lay another tackle for the whole night. despite so much ball in the forward line another game where he hasnt had more than 10 touches and none of them are particularly memorable.
Q1 9:25 Miers loops a hospital pass over the head of Atkins, who looks up to see McKenzie lining him up to steamroll him. Atkins commits. He didn't win the ball, but that took some courage and helped set a statement early.

18 pressure acts, 3 intercepts, 2 clearances and a goal.

I reckon he did exactly what he was picked to do. You might not rate him, but the club seem to.

Blitz on Saturday Countdown

The ruthlessness is back. This is the difference this year.
I said 3 weeks ago we weren't ruthless or tough enough and got laughed at. Our whole approach has changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back