Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Mad attack on the ball,absolutely manic. Great full body smother that ended in Camerons spectacular goal.
When you finally shake injury and the selection question, the motivation to grab your chance is enormous.
He'll be even better when he develops some poise, and confidence through constant games.

I’ve seen a few attempt to compare Clark to Butters, a tad early for me but his attack on the footy is similar in that I wonder if he is going to get up half the time! Does not have nearly as much toe as Butters either. Tracking well, will become a fav to most in a year or two.

Just addressing a couple of these things:

Spot on Play it Sam . That's exactly what made him a Top 10 lock in 2022, and I think certain people need to be reminded of just how good he can be when he has the confidence to play at his best.

MacStradbroke you'd be surprised how much toe he has. Butters was not known as being Max Holmes quick either, but he has a quick dash out of congestion that's very similar to Jhye. I think the comparisons definitely are there. Both extremely hard nuts for their size, exact same size, frame etc. Skip to around 33 seconds of the first video to see the pace he has to make a run down tackle. Close-esque. Start of the second video the speed at which he comes through the contest as well:

Last edited:
Just addressing a couple of these things:

Spot on Play it Sam . That's exactly what made him a Top 10 lock in 2022, and I think certain people need to be reminded of just how good he can be when he has the confidence to play at his best.

MacStradbroke you'd be surprised how much toe he has. Butters was not known as being Max Holmes quick either, but he has a quick dash out of congestion that's very similar to Jhye. I think the comparisons definitely are there. Both extremely hard nuts for their size, exact same size, frame etc. Skip to 40 seconds of the first video to see the pace he has to make a run down tackle. Close-esque. Start of the second video the speed at which he comes through the contest as well:

Great vision, that fast run down was Rohan/Stewartesque!
Also, Butters was a slow burn. He didnt start out in a blaze of glory, and Port were shite.
He starred in time, with maturity, positional change and better team fortune.
Comparisons not viable this early.

I thought the Saints had many more fluent and connected passages of play that us, Sam. With a little more composure they could easily have been 3 goals to the good at ¼ time.

The increased emphasis on tackling pressure was largely responsible for the "scummy" play and both sides contributed to that.

I don't think the Saints would have lost any fans by the way they played, and on a larger ground methinks their run, spread, and overlap will be much harder to combat.

I do wish "Hock" would return to the AFL on loan for a week or two so he can put an end to the unsightly annoying forward half flooding. It's a blot on the game. Legislate that a pre-determined number of players must stay in their forward half when the opposition is attacking.

They reminded me of the Hawthorn of very old, constant frustrating scrums, often forced by skill errors. On the odd occasion they got the ball over the back they looked fast but couldn't capitalise. Agree the flooding is frustrating. Clear passages for us were prevented, kicking to packs, no leads, hence no efficient delivery to Hawk. We trashed them with forward entries in the first quarter and also failed to show composure, so same could be said of possible score lead.

PS Lyon is a blight on the game. Same old Rossy with the passive aggressive temperament that may have previously caused trauma in several cases .

Last edited:

Frustrating watching for much of the game, notwithstanding huge physical commitment by mids - our goals relied greatly on acts of individual brilliance. Apt to commemorate the Joel stand with a slogging win.

Agree with most of the posts above. Some thoughts-

• rather than criticising Ross Lyon for his flood, we need to be smarter (the lack of a plan to counter the Hawk zone/flood IMO was the large reason we lost in 2008). Need to take the time and set plays to find or create holes in the zone. Please, please, please (!!!!) - when faced with another flood/surge team, make it an absolute duty to keep the ball in front at all cost, rather than slipping goal side for opposition. Some horrible failures with that nearly cost us the game. Stanley’s attempt at a mark in last Q (with ball slipping through to the back) rather than robust punch forward was an example but there were many others.
  • even when Saints hadn’t been able to flood back, our tall forwards bunched together, making it easy for the Saints intercept markers to pick off the bombed kicks. Forwards have to spread better and draw the kick to them. Ollie H attracted my ire on getting caught out being sucked into packs (even though he did lose his man for an important mark/goal) but Hawk also guilty of that.
  • Stengle and Close need to find more desperation and threat (in themselves) to get involved and effective. I have suspicion that opposition have become more savvy with plans to keep them largely out of dangerous spots. I’d make it simple and set tackle counts and 1%ers for them, and get them involved- the goals and assists will come.
  • loved Dempsey’s game. Going to be hard to match up on - but not impossible. Ollie will have quiet games where opposition do find the right match - won’t set the expectations too high.
  • like most others, really liked the look of Clark - his closing speed and physicality is off the chart. Just needs to take an extra step/thought time extra with disposal decisions, be prepared to stop/pass sideways if necessary. It will come.

- SDK did have a mare, but didn’t get the help from Stanley, Blitz dropping back- which was a key part of his 2022 success. Should get that working again.

- think we missed Bews nouce and physicality with the opposition small forwards. But with end of his time approaching need to learn to cover rather than bringing him back in straight away.

Good learning experience for young players. Hope we get Bowes back soon. Mannagh with more time, including midfield, might help getting smarter transition.

Last edited:
Frustrating watching for much of the game, notwithstanding huge physical commitment by mids - our goals relied greatly on acts of individual brilliance. Apt to commemorate the Joel stand with a slogging win.

• rather than criticising Ross Lyon for his flood, we need to be smarter (the lack of a plan to counter the Hawk zone/flood IMO was the large reason we lost in 2008). Need to take the time and set plays to find or create holes in the zone. Please, please, please (!!!!) - when faced with another flood/surge team, make it an absolute duty to keep the ball in front at all cost, rather than slipping goal side for opposition. Some horrible failures with that nearly cost us the game. Stanley’s attempt at a mark in last Q (with ball slipping through to the back) rather than robust punch forward was an example but there were many others.
  • even when Saints hadn’t been able to flood back, our tall forwards bunched together, making it easy for the Saints intercept markers to pick off the bombed kicks. Forwards have to spread better and draw the kick to them. Ollie H attracted my ire on getting caught out being sucked into packs (even though he did lose his man for an important mark/goal) but Hawk also guilty of that.
  • Stengle and Close need to find more desperation and threat (in themselves) to get involved and effective. I have suspicion that opposition have become more savvy with plans to keep them largely out of dangerous spots. I’d make it simple and set tackle counts and 1%ers for them, and get them involved- the goals and assists will come.
  • loved Dempsey’s game. Going to be hard to match up on - but not impossible. Ollie will have quiet games where opposition do find the right match - won’t set the expectations too high.
  • like most others, really liked the look of Clark - his closing speed and physicality is off the chart. Just needs to take an extra step/thought time extra with disposal decisions, be prepared to stop/pass sideways if necessary. It will come.

- SDK did have a mare, but didn’t get the help from Stanley, Blitz dropping back- which was a key part of his 2022 success. Should get that working again.

- think we missed Bews nouce and physicality with the opposition small forwards. But with end of his time approaching need to learn to cover rather than bringing him back in straight away.

Good learning experience for young players. Hope we get Bowes back soon. Mannagh with more time, including midfield, might help getting smarter transition.

Great takes, you should post more.
We're a long way from flow, but positive we have the makings.

Kardinia Park has plenty of Wheelchair and carer seating scattered through out.

By my quick maths. 142 disabled and 142 carer seats available.

Of course there is. For thousands of our members and opposition visitors that require them.
Fair enough, they are necessarily limited, first in best dressed acceptable BUT
They are booked by WAITING for a Ticketmaster phone call back after filling in a request form.
A call that doesn't come, so apply four more times!
A help line that doesn't work, and the Club ignoring the whole inefficient process.

Last edited:
Cats weren't exactly convincing winners.
Saints are far from a top 4 team.
Despite Cats having a super fwd they struggled.
Ball movement and F50 delivery was poor.
Relying on a kitten to kick 3 goals to win is foolish.
You portray the attitude that makes teams mediocre.
First proper match back, basically every team struggles with ball movement and organisation. Lyon nailed the latter so the template was a typical round 1 grindfest.

If we nailed even our 4 that hit the post (I realise St Kilda had missed chances too) we would've ran away 6 goal winners. Giving St Kilda a sniff meant it was more hard work. Hard work early in the season isn't a bad thing. I'm sure Scott learned a lot and will be ironing out flaws over the next month or two.

Of course there is. For thousands of our members and opposition visitors that require them.
Fair enough, they are necessarily limited, first in best dressed acceptable BUT
They are booked by WAITING for a Ticketmaster phone call back after filling in a request form.
A call that doesn't come, so apply four more times!
A help line that doesn't work, and the Club ignoring the whole inefficient process.
1. The context was surrounding the notion of NO accessibility seating. With a follow up question about that being illegal.
So that was the clarification. The ground does have seats available for those with disability requirement.

2. When my Boxing Day seat was botched I didn't blame Cricket Australia for the tardiness with which ticketmaster responded, that they weren't very helpful and that it was time consuming.

Ticketing for AFL matches has largely been taken out of the hands of the 18 clubs. Don't like that then the AFL is the one to be upset with over the arrangement.

First proper match back, basically every team struggles with ball movement and organisation. Lyon nailed the latter so the template was a typical round 1 grindfest.

If we nailed even our 4 that hit the post (I realise St Kilda had missed chances too) we would've ran away 6 goal winners. Giving St Kilda a sniff meant it was more hard work. Hard work early in the season isn't a bad thing. I'm sure Scott learned a lot and will be ironing out flaws over the next month or two.

Yep you got it, Hard work, exactly what Tommy Stewart said in his post game K Rock interview.
Oh wait, he said bloody hard work.
Possibly always is, but first game we're still manufacturing oil for the machine.

1. The context was surrounding the notion of NO accessibility seating. With a follow up question about that being illegal.
So that was the clarification. The ground does have seats available for those with disability requirement.

2. When my Boxing Day seat was botched I didn't blame Cricket Australia for the tardiness with which ticketmaster responded, that they weren't very helpful and that it was time consuming.

Ticketing for AFL matches has largely been taken out of the hands of the 18 clubs. Don't like that then the AFL is the one to be upset with over the arrangement.

Okay sorry, the context was in reply to another sympathetic poster.
Still. the Club should not ignore emails in regard to accessibility major problems, bookings included - because there are a few AFL Clubs that care enough to handle their own accessible ticketing. You can't tell me if there has been an oversight, and someone is waiting three weeks for a TM return call, then get cut off, GFC admin can't do something about it! At least some *ing empathy.
For me, it's not entitlement, we just need a level playing field, which means the ability to actually secure and pay for your wheelchair seat online like everyone else books their seats.

Loved this post. Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. IMO the sub should be a medium-sized utility who you can put basically anywhere. Examples of a suitable 23rd player would be Mitch Knevitt, Mark O'Connor, or Jack Bowes.
Hmm i would actually love more senior players that can play multiple roles to be the sub as it allows us to sort of rest them whilst letting younger players play as much as possible.

Do a rotating thing in which we rotate our older players like Duncan, Tuohy, Rohan(when fit) etc through the subbing duties.

And if we want to give a young player like Clark half a game to lesson the load for now he could be subbed off for one of the older more experienced players who can play multiple positions.

Just finished watching Q1 right meow.
Hawkins was agile, hard to contests. I do think, happy to be wrong, he’s giving kittens opportunities, he’s an unselfish player + is invested in their improvement, ensuring they have experience. On a few occasions, when kittens were under pressure, he was right there to clear the ball.
Yeah Romeh1, love him, has an important role in the team. He’s a team man, just kick goals Tom, kittens will learn
😻😻😻
Q3 Hawkins, a marking contest had his leg caught in Josh Battle‘s legs 5F9D76F9-4CAD-46AA-937E-29531DDE48DD.jpeg BFFBF64D-1041-45DE-9D93-7715B0C22426.jpeg

I think he’s going ok if he doesn’t have to change direction, or bend down, or leap off the ground, or run fast. I still love him and want him in the team though! :cool:
Looking at a number of games from round 1 teams are taking the option of long kicks to the top of the square when short options aren’t available.
We need an aerial presence then , Tom can use his bulk but we need an OH , Rohan or Neale to fly and clunk it or halve the contest.
Then our smalls can go to work 👍

Against a Ross Lyon flood/slingshot strategy, it's pointless to draw many conclusions.
Exactly and all the talk of our forwards not doing this and that last night fails to except that the Lyon strategy is to transform our forwards into defenders of his flood tactics to deny them the fast break from defence into an empty end of the ground Scott was all over this and our boys would have been working to instructions of keeping in contact and pressure the ball carrier in the event of a turnover.

Looking at a number of games from round 1 teams are taking the option of long kicks to the top of the square when short options aren’t available.
We need an aerial presence then , Tom can use his bulk but we need an OH , Rohan or Neale to fly and clunk it or halve the contest.
Then our smalls can go to work 👍
I think that is where OH will keep developing. I have no doubt he wasn’t quite right for round 1 (ankle as reported) but when he hits his peak he will fly for everything (and also good chance of clunking them too).

I agree we need it as Hawk and Jezza are not those type. But Henry is. I am not sure Neale is a leaper either but maybe he has crash given his size.

What I am now a little confused on is where Dempsey can fit into that given some signs? Last year even in VFL he tended to stay down a bit (vs year 1 where he leapt at a lot) - maybe he was just learning the other aspects of the game? But whilst he doesnt have the body to crash a pack he looks like he can leap over most. So if we have the two Ollies at full flight that can help make it a little unpredictable?

Who knows whether Rohan gets back to his best?

I think that is where OH will keep developing. I have no doubt he wasn’t quite right for round 1 (ankle as reported) but when he hits his peak he will fly for everything (and also good chance of clunking them too).

I agree we need it as Hawk and Jezza are not those type. But Henry is. I am not sure Neale is a leaper either but maybe he has crash given his size.

What I am now a little confused on is where Dempsey can fit into that given some signs? Last year even in VFL he tended to stay down a bit (vs year 1 where he leapt at a lot) - maybe he was just learning the other aspects of the game? But whilst he doesnt have the body to crash a pack he looks like he can leap over most. So if we have the two Ollies at full flight that can help make it a little unpredictable?

I've been pretty keen to see Dempsey use his running capacity to get onto the wing a bit and go around the ground.

Rohan has always been underestimated in certain quarters.
He is a flying rock, not as lightweight as 2 Ollies and roaming Cameron.
Would like to see him as sub, which I don't think he's started as for years?

I got St Kilda mates strutting around, chest out, arms flaying all over the place in true Conor McGregor style because they got so close to us.

Not happy Jan.

Cats aim to win flags.

Saints aim to have honourable losses.

Spot the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back