Review Geelong defeats St Kilda by 38 points @etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. But we are carrying both at the moment. Lucky it hasn't cost us.

I thought Stewart was actually decent in the second half. Got into good spots, made himself useful, took the game on. It was a relief because his first half was beyond putrid. Ideally I see him as a back-up player but, much as I like Thurlow as a potentially good/great player, I'd actually have Stewart ahead of him on output thus far, especially today. Thurlow was unsighted.

Can someone who was at the ground help me here.

I noticed a few times when we turned the ball over on the attacking side of the wing (2nd quarter mainly) we got opened up quick by the Saints who seemed to have players free in miles of space in or around the 50..

Were we pressing up really aggressively and they had players holding their positions? Or did they roll the dice and cheat out the back in case of a turnover?

We seemed to not get hurt as bad after half time with it, but I was just wondering if it was us creating an out for them or them just taking advantage of taking a risk.

Or if it was something completely different again that I couldn't see on T.V.

First live game up high to see how we structured behind the ball. In every instance up the field we are trying to push teams toward the boundary so their entries are from wide. Last three defenders are covering space and sharing responsibility for the forwards in area. I felt we halved most contests when they were brining the ball inside fifty but they managed some crumbing goals were the ball bounced their way with our defender close...but not able to stop the score.

I have to agree. Didn't like it , and in a way im not surprised to be wrong. The updated 2 in 4 rule has changed the gravity on it as well.

Hard as a Cats head with a laser leg , huge in metres gained - inspired recruiting coup to replace the irreplaceable Boris - has changed the way we play :)

We're playing the sort of footy that I had hoped we would've seen last year. It's exciting and high scoring, and I love it. Structurally and tactically we look so much better. Tough decisions needed to be made and they have been. There will be more hard calls to come but so far this year we're giving ourselves our best chance.

On current form, both Hyphen and Menegola can and should be playing together.

I think if Duncan is still averaging 30 touches a game by the end of the year, we'll be top 2. He's helping form a Big Three.

I knew Tuohy would add a great attacking edge to our defense, but those rundown tackles are how you really become a fan favourite.

I love how the game slows down when Parfitt has possession. It's a rare gift.

And Black, 5 tackles 4 of them inside 50. Well done. Good pressure.

Also Jack Steven's haircut is just about the worst thing I've ever seen on a football field. He should be ashamed of himself. There are kids watching.

Cocky needs to take the game on a bit more, like when he faked and ran around Riewold. Noone can catch him when he gets going and gets great penetration on his kicks that way too.
Heard someone compare Cocky to Cyril in that he only needs a small amount of possessions to make a big impact. I think I agree (certainly not comparing the two though)

Arguably the best Geelong player I have ever ever seen. That is saying something. But purely for getting it done when it matters he might be the best of all time. If he doesnt win a brownlow which he won't it is a disgrace!!

Gary ablett JNR probably the only Geelong mid I could say was better. I think Selwood in leadership and relentlessness at the contest is unquestioned

I think he's been poor all season. Including the pre-season. He's getting an extremely charmed run being kept in the team. On form he doesn't deserve to.
Agree and have said the same since the JLT series. Completely understandable of course, coming off an ACL, but that doesn't mean he should keep being gifted games ahead of others if he isn't performing.

I think thats getting harder to say by the week. Id like to see each of them in the side... atm there is no way I could agree Thurlow is in and Stewart is out.

The pass mark for defenders is incredibly harsh - lose a contest and it's a goal - forwards do the same and the ball evits F50 - no comparison
Stewart is going very well for his first year - may make way for Kolo but has justified his selection IMHO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs disposal was the worst I've ever seen it. Yes he works hard, and does a bunch of jobs. But he nearly killed us with disposal today. His handballs were just ridiculous.
Barber, you've got NFI mate.

Weren't you telling me last week that #getguthrieback was dead? Well, it ain't! He's been brilliant down back during the last two games #getguthrieback

had frawley come to geelong, the hawks most likely miss out on a flag

that would have been worth it, had we got frawley loners would have gone to the dogs
Maybe. Frawley has looked quite the plodder without Brian Lake standing next to him.

Agree and have said the same since the JLT series. Completely understandable of course, coming off an ACL, but that doesn't mean he should keep being gifted games ahead of others if he isn't performing.

Agreed I thought he should of been left out last week. In saying that I thought he was better today one or two plays looked like he was turning a corner. You would need some insight into the role he is trying to play defensively. From what we have been seeing he has been poor and was a late replacement round 1.

But the coaching panel seems to be keeping him in the side and apart from that beautiful right boot he has not done a lot. The preference seems to be guys that use the ball well and it is a large premise behind our efficiency focus this year quality over quantity.

But if he were to have a few weeks at VFL level you couldn't complain for sure I still prefer him over the ruggler

Disagree, as Selwood has lifted in poorer teams
Ablett, when at geelong, had a super support crew

Pretty harsh ablett was winning brownlows at gold coast. He was named one of the greatest of the modern era little gazza. This is not a blight on selwood as a player just two different player characteristics ablett was just a natural talent freak with speed kicking on both sides that strength through the hips.

Where as selwood is just a professional incredibly talented. Attack at the contest, work rate, courage and reads the play well. Solid kick great skills by hand and overhead.

Just a born leader and works hard for everything.

Disagree, as Selwood has lifted in poorer teams
Ablett, when at geelong, had a super support crew

He's an absolute warrior , would lay his life on the line if it meant a win
I hope he wins every accolade available. It if it's down to one though it's premiership captain for mine:thumbsu:

Being at the game I thought Stewart's good was good but his bad, pretty bad. Sounds obvious but he's a guy that will make a number of errors during a game that will invariably cost us goals. He had a few howlers today (the missed mark a shocker as well as a piss poor spoiling attempt being two that immediately come to mind). But his good was actually quite good.

Thurlow on the other hand I hardly noticed. I didn't really see him stuff much up but I also didn't see him influence the game as much as Stewart did at times either.

Well just on TV , I think he got found out a couple of times for sure..the left arm spoil for one..he is not a guys resonates 100% AFL level atm.. but he has moments that he does well. Thurlow is way off his own previous standard ..for what ever reason..touch confidence. Id like to see Kolo and Stewart in the same side , cause I feel there is a little bit false memory about Kolo..he was not perfect either..he was just learning the ropes.

Well just on TV , I think he got found out a couple of times for sure..the left arm spoil for one..he is not a guys resonates 100% AFL level atm.. but he has moments that he does well. Thurlow is way off his own previous standard ..for what ever reason..touch confidence. Id like to see Kolo and Stewart in the same side , cause I feel there is a little bit false memory about Kolo..he was not perfect either..he was just learning the ropes.

Completely agree. Kolo's first year was extremely promising but he's been somewhat of a disappointment since. Should be given an opportunity but I don't have him marked as a certainty to stay in by any means.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back