Review Geelong defeats St Kilda by 47 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt the club would agree to basing salary elements on number of goals; maybe a more complicated metric based on a combo of metrics including, eg, score involvements.

I can't see there being overly complicated trigger, the player has to agree with it. It'd be less about governing behavior and more about providing an clear and achievable threshold. They'd also want to be able to balance the various triggers of different players the simpler the triggers are the easier it is to manage.

Not overly impressed. How Stewart was left to do that all day was staggering. I think that's the easiest game we'll play for the year. The skill level of StKilda was not even close.

Menzel lives off ball over the back that Hawkins sets up. He's crafty and plays well but games like today he gets overrated massively. I heard supporters critique Hawkins today, staggering the delivery he gets he's playing amazing being used the way he is. Total team player. So much love for the Tomahawk.

Parfitt was impressive again i think he's one of the genuine A graders coming through. Fogarty is everything we needed last year. Amazing pressure and commitment. Cunico ran hard all day, he looked good but test will come in the next 4 weeks if he's AFL standard. Ratugolea solid, Blicvas is a defender please leave him there.

Zuthrie shouldn't be in the team. He needs a spell. Bews butchered it all day but continues to be a brave one. I honestly don't think apart from Parfitt having a breakout game there is anything to take from that. Terrible opposition the test will be next week.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Bolded is 100%. Menzel and the team owes Hawk big time. Blows up his own personal success for team betterment.

And gets done dry by the maggots EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

GO Catters

Having watched the replay ... it left me with the feeling of a mid rung team beating a bottom team. Positive was the form of our second level guys.. especially Menegola and Parfit and Stewart.
Probably fair given the side we were fielding but I don’t think our 22 could have done much better really.

To this point of the season the two positives are (1) kids are showing something and (2) we are scrapping pretty well and should be better with players returning.

Stand By your Dan.

Sometimes it's hard to be a AFL player
Giving all your love to just one team
You'll have good times, and he'll have bad times
Doin' knees in ways that you don't understand
But if you love him, you'll forgive him
Even though he's hard to understand
And if you love him, oh be proud of him
'Cause after all he's just a man.

Stand by your Dan, give him a decent contract to cling to
And something warm to come to
When nights are cold and lonely.
Stand by your Dan, and show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can.
Stand by your Dan.
Stand by your Dan, and show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can.
Stand by your Dan.

The Stage: Clarko's Country Bunker, protected by chicken wire
The Crowd: Feral Hawthorn supporters, ill-bred and slavering
The Band: Completely slaying the crowd at an unexpected 2018 Grand Final final berth for both teams

Dan becomes Norm. Call him Norm.

Probably fair given the side we were fielding but I don’t think our 22 could have done much better really.

To this point of the season the two positives are (1) kids are showing something and (2) we are scrapping pretty well and should be better with players returning.

Its not a negative , just being realistic. We are not clean enough , we have structural weaknesses (that we are working on) .. Stk should have been 4.1 at quarter time.

There is plenty to like about what we have but id dont see a Premiership side atm. Most if not all of the young additions are holding their own and are competitive. The next three weeks will be more of an indication of where we stand. To balance that most , if not all of the sides have weaknesses and the sides that have had a buffet at the draft have yet to become dominant threats,
To be honest watching the Saints I wondered what Thompson would have done with that side... the sum of their parts seem to be less than it should be.

Henry , Guthrie , Fogerty all did some things expected of players at their stage of the career. Stanley even looked like he was trying to be assertive

Its not a negative , just being realistic. We are not clean enough , we have structural weaknesses (that we are working on) .. Stk should have been 4.1 at quarter time.

There is plenty to like about what we have but id dont see a Premiership side atm. Most if not all of the young additions are holding their own and are competitive. The next three weeks will be more of an indication of where we stand. To balance that most , if not all of the sides have weaknesses and the sides that have had a buffet at the draft have yet to become dominant threats,
To be honest watching the Saints I wondered what Thompson would have done with that side... the sum of their parts seem to be less than it should be.

Henry , Guthrie , Fogerty all did some things expected of players at their stage of the career. Stanley even looked like he was trying to be assertive
I guess I look at it differently. I’m not really interested in “premiership standard” as the yardstick at this stage of the season and given our outs. A bit like an Olympian saying he’s not going to win a gold while his ankle is in a cast - yeah, but so what? I’m more interested to see how the fill-ins stand up.

I went into the game thinking a win by a few goals was best case scenario with the 22 we had. To win by 7-8 goals was impressive. Pretty much the same margin Adelaide beat them by last week, by the way.

I guess I look at it differently. I’m not really interested in “premiership standard” as the yardstick at this stage of the season and given our outs. A bit like an Olympian saying he’s not going to win a gold while his ankle is in a cast - yeah, but so what? I’m more interested to see how the fill-ins stand up.

I went into the game thinking a win by a few goals was best case scenario with the 22 we had. To win by 7-8 goals was impressive. Pretty much the same margin Adelaide beat them by last week, by the way.

Thats fair. we are probably saying the same thing a different way. And it a long season etc. Im not convinced we are at peak fitness yet. As I said the next 3 weeks will tell us more.. winning against StK at home is nothing more than a game we should win. The 7-8 goal margin said more about the Saints and playing at KP than us imo. 7-8 over Port on their patch of dirt ..and then we will be talking more credit.

Yeah you're right, lets start bottoming out now so in a few years time we catch up with St Kilda and Carlton. As we all know bottoming out guarantees success and they are clearly on the up....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I saw someone say in another thread that we should start tanking to get our hands on a couple of decent draft picks........If people havent learnt the lessons of Melbourne and Carlton by now, they never will.
The day we start tanking is the day I walk away from from footy altogether

Geelong looked just as average as they have the last few weeks. It's just that St. Kilda were that much worse and it was a Geelong home game, which widened the gap.
Good to see you front up after a big win. Big effort by you.

No-one on this board maybe, but heaps of opposition fans have claimed our youth are ordinary at best.
they are ordinary. we need to accept we currently have a weak under 25 group ignoring the last years draft group which are just way too young to evaluate yet. However things are looking more promising now then they did pre season. Kelly is a huge addition to the under 25 talent. Esavas form so far is unexpected. He can mark the ball and has some x factor. But now needs to build fitness and learn to read the game. Kolo also has lifted a gear and now showing promise as a key defender now that he is being given a show in that position. Parfit is just carrying on from where he finished last season and looks to be A grade. Cockys injury problems are a massive downside though. The twenty minutes he played in the middle against west coast looked awesome. He may never make it with his injury problems though. Starting to look very Paul Lynch. Henry and Guthrie show great poise and may make solid players although neither will be stars. Bews is great at contests but his passing is horrible and will prvent him from becoming a great player. Thats pretty much it. For talls we have only one key forward and one defender under 25 with promise. That is a massive problem.

We are definately in the bottom half of the under 25 talent draw. However, pre season we looked like being in the bottom 2. Things are looking up but there is a long way to go.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to gauge how that win stacked up. I'll take it. It was 47 points but geez, St Kilda are terrible. They are a team that is very low on confidence and lacking star power. They have some warhorse midfielders but zero cream.

Menzel was great. Listening to him on the radio this morning, he mentioned that he's had his first pre-season in 7 years and is feeling the effects. Sounded a little pissed when Howie mentioned Scotts comments re small term contracts but played the "i've gotten my head around it" card. Could just hear it in his voice though.

Hawkins being a "professional decoy" at the moment. Taking two defenders and freeing up the forward line. I hope his team mates are buying his beers for him as he's earnt them. Selfless.

Of the young guys I thought Parfitt, Kelly, Fogarty, Henry and Cunico all played well. Sad on Gregson. Hope its not serious but he was due for a spell IMO. Give Constable a shot!!.

Blicavs finally at fullback. Geez the MC are bloody slow to make moves that are painfully obvious. Took a week too long to drop Parsons as well and it was odd he didn't play VFL. Could have taken another player as the carryover emergency for Sunday. He needs to find touch, not a rest.

Zuthrie time for a spell. Would bring in Thurlow. Solid again.

Big game this weekend. Danger ready to explode. 3 games under his belt, back in Adelaide. He will light it up I reckon.....and we'll need it.

Last edited:
Been really impressed with the kids standing up so far this year
I saw someone say in another thread that we should start tanking to get our hands on a couple of decent draft picks........If people havent learnt the lessons of Melbourne and Carlton by now, they never will.
The day we start tanking is the day I walk away from from footy altogether
Completely agree with that.

What some people here don't seem to recognise is that we are undergoing a rebuilt right now whilst remaining competitive and a genuine contender.

Having watched the replay ... it left me with the feeling of a mid rung team beating a bottom team. Positive was the form of our second level guys.. especially Menegola and Parfit and Stewart.

I think that's the key takeaway from the game to be honest.
We were very inexperienced - Henry , Sav , Zuthrie, Fog , Cunico and even Parfitt and Menegola so to pretty much control the whole game and win by 47 points is not a bad effort.
We are far from a settled side so we can expect some inconsistency - as we know the young guys get sore and need management so it's going to be a struggle until we get the experienced guys back from injury.
If we can win 2 from the next 3 we will be in reasonable shape all things considered.
Still we are a long way behind the settled line ups like Giants , Tigers and Swans....................

Anyone mentioned the atmosphere yet? It’s like the tennis for our home games, “quiet please”.

Could hear a pin drop all game.

Watching on the TV - it reminded me of the opera

Maybe we can blame that on the Saints - home supporters knew the Cats were allways going to win - and couldnt be bothered getting too excited or boisterous about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back