Review Geelong defeats St Kilda by 47 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond - 51 draft, 9 trade, 3 FA
Bulldogs - 52 draft, 9 trade, 4 FA
Hawthorn - 49 draft, 10 trade, 4 FA

I don’t have time to do every club, but there are the past three premiers over the same period. You get the gist. Geelong’s “rebuild” is conventional by modern standards.

I don’t have time to do every club, but there are the past three premiers over the same period. You get the gist. Geelong’s “rebuild” is conventional by modern standards.
Geez. That farm we sold is getting smaller and smaller and smaller by the looks.

Did any of those clubs, or any club in that period given up a 1st and 2nd rounder for one player?
Or trade their 1st and their next years first in the same year?
Given up 5 second rounders in that period?
Every single team has plenty of players from other clubs.
How many have traded in the quality we have?
Pick 9 for Burgoyne & 6 for Prestia are the biggest I can think of from any of them.
We're completely different from them.

Did any of those clubs, or any club in that period given up a 1st and 2nd rounder for one player?
Or trade their 1st and their next years first in the same year?
Given up 5 second rounders in that period?
Every single team has plenty of players from other clubs.
How many have traded in the quality we have?
Pick 9 for Burgoyne & 6 for Prestia are the biggest I can think of from any of them.
We're completely different from them.
Are you suggesting that we have? We've taken 5 second rounders at the last two drafts, two of them our own picks and three of them traded in.

Getting Judd screwed them big time. & Daisy. Lost Kennedy and Betts + others.
Getting big recruits did not help them.
Wonder if they'll learn this time. Probably not.
Bulldogs only got Boyd (but lost Griffin)
Tigers only Prestia and Caddy
Us only Ottens & Mooney
Only team a non traditional rebuild has worked for in my time is the Hawks with Burgoyne, Lake and I guess Carlton with Diesel in 95.
Apart from the Diesel one trading in a really really big name has never worked in the draft era and even then they were cheating the cap.
For Tigers, they also recruited from other clubs: Houli, Grigg, Nankervis and Townsend - so 6 overall.

For Bulldogs, they also recruited Biggs and Hamling. Definitely the best example to match your point, but still 3 players of their premiership 22, not 1.

If your point is that none of those recruits were superstar names, fair enough. But every team these days is a good mix of draft and trade - including premiership ones.

Just off the top of my head Hawthorn did with Jaeger O’Meara and Richmond did with Prestia.

But who cares? Are you complaining about what Dangerfield cost? It’s meaningless to the question of how we have rebuilt the list.

Just off the top of my head Hawthorn did with Jaeger O’Meara and Richmond did with Prestia.

But who cares? Are you complaining about what Dangerfield cost? It’s meaningless to the question of how we have rebuilt the list.
Omeara wasn't in their flag teams as per your post.
But yeah Hawthorn are the only team to have ever done what we've done in the modern era with Mitchell and Jaeger in the one year. Then Impey the next.
If they go straight back up the ladder (which they might) It will certainly be because of trading.
No not complaining about Danger cost or anything else, just acknowledging that our recent success is far more because of trading than the draft.

For Tigers, they also recruited from other clubs: Houli, Grigg, Nankervis and Townsend - so 6 overall.

For Bulldogs, they also recruited Biggs and Hamling. Definitely the best example to match your point, but still 3 players of their premiership 22, not 1.

If your point is that none of those recruits were superstar names, fair enough. But every team these days is a good mix of draft and trade - including premiership ones.
That is true and always has been.
But how many dead set superstar trades have ever won a flag?
If not for some dodgy umpiring Swans prob would of with Buddy but they didn't.
Swans made a GF with Lockett but lost.
Carlton made about 2-3 finals with Judd.
Only one is Diesel in 95 but they were cheating the cap.

Yeah. Stanley, Clark, Hmac, 1 for Danger, & 1 for Gazza.
Hmac means you're going back to 2012, Clark wasn't any pick at all, Stanley was for a pick that had been traded in so not really giving one up and the Gaz trade brought back a likely earlier 2nd.

I will give you the Danger trade. We did cede p28 there no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't propel the team to success. With Judds helped scraped them into the eight a couple of times but were never genuine contenders as they didn't bat deep enough. They are setting up to do the same again. Cripps, Curnow, Marchbank & co will be good players but it's not enough if they can't find any diamonds in the rough.

Jeff Garlett? Jack Silvagni? Zac Fisher? Matt Kennedy? Lachie Plowman? There’s a few and let’s be realistic, SOS has only been at the helm for what, three years?

Clark was traded for Varcoe.
Second round value at least. But if being technical can take that out.
We've been a major player (if not the biggest player) in trading/recruiting for mature players since 2012.
Stanley, Smith, Scooter, 2E, Danger, Henderson. Formerly Rivers & Caddy have all been a big part of our team.
There just the ones that have worked out.

Hmac means you're going back to 2012, Clark wasn't any pick at all, Stanley was for a pick that had been traded in so not really giving one up and the Gaz trade brought back a likely earlier 2nd.

I will give you the Danger trade. We did cede p28 there no doubt.
If you use a pick you have or a player on them it is paying for them. Doesn't matter how you get the pick.
I could of been technical if you didn't wanna count the Gaz second rounder I could of added another 1st rounder for him which adds to my point.

Second round value at least. But if being technical can take that out.
We've been a major player (if not the biggest player) in trading/recruiting for mature players since 2012.
Stanley, Smith, Scooter, 2E, Danger, Henderson. Formerly Rivers & Caddy have all been a big part of our team.
There just the ones that have worked out.
So what? Every team trades now. People just need to get used to that. It’s not a dirty word.

I have absolutely no idea what convoluted point Spazz is trying to make. Rebuilds take advantage of all modes of acquiring players. Something we have done.
That the core of our rebuild has been than draft. It hasn't.
Or replacing retirees with mature players isnt rebuilding. It is.
Dunno what's wrong with just admitting we've traded our way back up the ladder.

That the core of our rebuild has been than draft. It hasn't.
Or replacing retirees with mature players isnt rebuilding. It is.
Dunno what's wrong with just admitting we've traded our way back up the ladder.
The core of the rebuild has been via the draft. Fact

The core of the rebuild has been via the draft. Fact
And, on the facts exposed in this discussion so far, our approach hasn’t been significantly different to any other team.

Not sure what your definition of Core is.
Before the last couple of drafts we got nothing for years.
Cam Guthrie? just best 22, Murdoch? Fringe
18/22 of our named team tomorrow was drafted. 11/14 in the reserves were drafted. 7/10 on the injury list were drafted. The core of our list was drafted.

The core of our team is Hawkins, Selwood, Danger, Duncan, 2E, Menzel, Taylor, Henderson, Ablett, Blitz.
Would you disagree there our best/most important 10 players?
One of them has been drafted since 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back