Review Geelong defeats St Kilda by 59 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Bews is the hard nut we need in the back line. He runs straight through the ball and you can see his opponents take a second look when they see him coming.

I also like that he is aggressive with his kicking. Sure it doesn't come off everytime, but he has a penetrating kick and he isn't afraid to have a crack at a difficult target.
He's finally playing well enough to justify his spot in the team.

He's part of the Geelong tradition, too; I thought he was going to let us down last night but, no, right on cue, with time running out, his trademark totally unprovoked out of bounds on the full.

Cheers - I tend not to watch the pressers and it wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with something Scott has said!

Wonder who Sav comes in for?
As others have mentioned, our key defence has looked good with Blicavs playing on the wing, and he is providing some excellent body blocking for our smaller mids, so it would be harsh to see anyone dropped from the backline to make way for a forward.

I think with Dixon on fire that makes it even more difficult, so it will come down to who we rest. Danger at full forward is just taking a spot while he rests. I would rather they manage him if he is flagging, and let Sav and Hawk be the two keys, with Rohan the third tall. Danger doesn't offer anything as FF that he wouldn't offer as a midfielder.

He's finally playing well enough to justify his spot in the team.

He's part of the Geelong tradition, too; I thought he was going to let us down last night but, no, right on cue, with time running out, his trademark totally unprovoked out of bounds on the full.
Well Fred, you got what you wanted -an easy contest with the result in the bag from a long way out. And what a nice change it was. More of it please.

All of our players, including the A graders, have made mistakes this season, some of which have cost us and some of which haven't. You think Dangerfield doesn't waste disposals? Or Selwood? Or Duncan?

You might be right that he will let us down one day in the future and you might not be.
I don't think I made a claim that our other players don't make mistakes, I wasn't commenting on them but yes of course, if you want my opinion on Dangerfield I think he is quite overrated too, horrible user of the ball at times.

The purpose of my comment on Menegola was in response to a lot of accolades he is getting right now. Claims that he might be an A grader, AA etc etc lots of talk from the commentators about how good he is, Gary Lyon last week said he if he wanted someone to kick for his life hed pick Menegola.

He is playing well but I think people are overating him on current form. That is my opinion and that is all I am trying to state. I wasn't saying others don't make mistakes. All I am saying is that right now, people are very complimentary about Menegola, maybe even deservedly so, but I don't it's a true reflection of him as a player.

I'm trying not to be the type of supporter that overates someone when they play well, then bags them when they don't. Right now hes playing well, I still don't think hes a great player and I think will eventually let us down.

We're now 4-0 when playing teams higher than us on the ladder this year, after wins over Hawthorn in Round 2, Gold Coast in Round 5, Brisbane in Round 6 and St.Kilda last night. Bodes well for Friday night.

We've also broken our WLWL for a 2nd time this year. :)
It’s a good point. We are very good as the hunter. We hunted the saints Like a pack of dogs( cats)! I hate being favourite in finals. Doesn’t sit well with us. We get out hunted. Last 3 years Richmond in QF, Dees 2018, woods last year.

I reckon Ablett could come in for one of Atkins or Close - we would lose a little forward half speed/pressure, but I think the benefits would outweigh that quite easily.

Really? Close looks very quick to me. Have you seen him chasing down players with the ball?

He could definitely replace Atkins.

I reckon Ablett could come in for one of Atkins or Close - we would lose a little forward half speed/pressure, but I think the benefits would outweigh that quite easily.

Sav on the other hand - the structure looks much better without him tbh. Blicavs has been playing the second ruck role very well, and having the extra tall in defense rather than another tall forward allows this to work seamlessly. The smaller forward line has also looked much better, with Stanley pushing forward to provide the extra tall target when required.

Essentially, I think Sav's role has become redundant. Stanley and Blicavs are working well together with a great understanding of when Blicavs should drop back and help out in defense, and when Stanley should push forward. Together, the've beaten Goldstein and Marshall over the past two weeks and the whole side has looked the best it has all year.
I would have Fogarty ahead of close because he can get in the middle.

Mooney one of our most underrated and conversely, most important players back then. Gave grunt and passion, and straightened us up.

Very astute post - re Cam - a very important player - at CHF - re your point straightened us up

Mooney had that burst of pace - off a standing start ( handy asset to have ) not dissimilar to Gary Rohan re that speed off the mark

I can remember that qual final at Football Park in the early 2000s against PtAdel ( in their flag winning year - and they beat Geel easily ) however Mick Malthouse was doing the special comments on the TV coverage - and he said at one point in the game - wouldnt you love to coach a team with 20 Cam Mooneys in it - thats high praise that coming from a long time coach - he appreciated Mooneys effort in every contest

It’s a good point. We are very good as the hunter. We hunted the saints Like a pack of dogs( cats)! I hate being favourite in finals. Doesn’t sit well with us. We get out hunted. Last 3 years Richmond in QF, Dees 2018, woods last year.
And...This year we have burst a few bubbles.
GC were getting pumped before we beat them
Brisbane 'new premiership faves' brought back to earth
Saints sent packing
As far as trends go I like it!
Port have a few cocky upstarts that could fold under some heat.
Great test for both teams.

As others have mentioned, our key defence has looked good with Blicavs playing on the wing, and he is providing some excellent body blocking for our smaller mids, so it would be harsh to see anyone dropped from the backline to make way for a forward.

I think with Dixon on fire that makes it even more difficult, so it will come down to who we rest. Danger at full forward is just taking a spot while he rests. I would rather they manage him if he is flagging, and let Sav and Hawk be the two keys, with Rohan the third tall. Danger doesn't offer anything as FF that he wouldn't offer as a midfielder.

I'd rather position others around wherever the hell Danger wants to play.
He won't be held back unless injured, he's integral right across the ground.
Never more so than against Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And...This year we have burst a few bubbles.
GC were getting pumped before we beat them
Brisbane 'new premiership faves' brought back to earth
Saints sent packing
As far as trends go I like it!
Port have a few cocky upstarts that could fold under some heat.
Great test for both teams.
Actually I think we will beat port. Only the 4 days v 6 days probably sways it their way.

We will continue to Dahl differently..thats beauty of footy. Id actually not rush him back, keep him fresh for a convenient time
For what its worth I think Cockatoo is Close's replacement anyway. Close has done himself no harm. Another preseason and who knows what he can be

We really have some versatility and range of options now :thumbsu:
Having watched Close twice live he's a very astute pick up - natural forward , one touch player with very good skills and a quick decision maker. He's a natural at reading the incoming ball and gets into great spots. Definitely worth persevering with. May tire or need a rest soon.
I think Dal comes in for Atkins and Gaz has to play if he's available so tough for the MC with the team playing so well.
Cocky has to play as a mid resting forward IMO as you can't play all your small/medium forwards as full time forwards without compromising your midfield depth.
We have one of the deadliest forward lines going around if we move it quickly and on our terms. Even better if we improve our set shot conversion:p

Ablett could also easily take Steven's spot too.

Steven looks fitter - however i think he is a bit underwhelming when he gets the ball - for a 4 time B/F winner and a very experienced player

When he gets the ball - there is no calmness about him at all - doesnt know what to do with it - takes these quick little steps - i dont think he is a clever footballer at all - when he gets the ball - you dont think to yourself - oh beauty he will do something constructive with it to Geelongs advantage - he looks like he has got no idea what he wants to do with it

Ive had the slows on Fogerty - but after that very good game he played in the midfield - id pick him ahead of Steven

O’connor made butler his b*tch. He barely touched it after coming in in great form.

Was just our night. Just about everything seemed to go our way. Except stanleys goal kicking which is atrocious.

Good thing is we don’t need to rely on selwood. Was a little quiet again tonight. For his standards anyway.

Duncan had another standout performance. Hawkins and rohan plucking everything. Hawk now leading the coleman.
Danger's is as equally atrocious. Both players more than made up for it with the efforts around the ground, though.

Because he continually stuffs up. Not playing a ruckman in a finals game comes to mind. Losing to Freo on our home ground in 2013 comes to mind.

yes. That game where we had an identical amount of scoring shots to Fremantle, more possessions, more inside 50s, no Tom Hawkins, and an injured 5-time All Australian defender mid-way through the second quarter is definitely what comes to mind when deciding that our coach is hopeless. That game, THAT actual game comes straight to mind. Because it just highlighted how bad he is as a coach. That game right there. It comes to mind.

A good write up on the club website of "things we learnt:

No service from the Butler
With due cause, former Tiger now Saint Dan Butler has been touted as the recruit of the year after St Kilda gave up a late pick to secure the half-forward in last year’s trade period. As has been the case many times this year, the Cats sent their best stopper, Mark O’Connor, to curb his influence and curb it he did. By the end of the contest, O’Connor had kept Butler to four disposals and no goals, down from his averages of 11 disposals and two goals a game this season. O’Connor himself had 16 disposals, nine marks, four rebounds from 50 and three inside 50s in another undersold performance from the young Irishman.

Who’s in the ruck?
The request from the umpires as to which two players are contesting the ruck is one that some find unnecessary but following on from the Cats last two weeks of ruck tactics, it may be more understandable. The Cats were thrilled to welcome Rhys Stanley back to the side last week and his combination with “utility” Mark Blicavs has posed headaches for two of the competition’s in-form ruckman. After getting on top so much last week against Todd Goldstein that the All Australian ruckman was moved to a wing, the Blicavs-Stanley took down another scalp on Monday night against the AFL’s fourth highest ranked ruckman in Rowan Marshall. Whilst Marshall was still important for the Saints, the duo’s ability to pick and choose who played on him around the ground led to the Cats having Marshall wear himself out either chasing Blicavs or trying to get to defense to man up on Stanley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back