Review Geelong Defeats Swans by 22 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

On today's form, Rohan played exactly like he did as a Swan- 5 possessions if that. If form is a guide, he's played 2 shockers, needs a well earned rest. I hear he apologised today for his insipid form, overwhelmed by the event of playing v his ex team. Really?
Miers could use a rest it appears.
Parsons was useful.

apologised to who? Overall I was disenchanted with the game .. its was not a game that I enjoyed and that Rohan did not play well was far from my biggest gripe. He will come out and play well this week at the G.. My thought watching such a congested game was I hate to try and play in that all the time... I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it each week.
For Hawkins to standout in that mess say a lot about him imo.

Parson was useful? He looked to be overly concerned with not making a mistake... and thus took too long to make a choice at times. Big cross missing the setshot... he is so one sided..he is on the good side for a right footer. No excuse.

Yeah Smith was quite good and he has been in a lot of games in the past.
And yes Stanley has tottally earned being our No.1 ruck.
As soon as Smith gets safe in the team though........yeah Motlop efforts are going a bit far, but we've seen over the past few years what happens.
Like our good friend Mots, he needs that extra external motivation and can't be trusted.
So true and someone called him Marshmallow and that is Motlop and Smith

Rohan needs a week off... Two games without hitting a goal, and given he's rarely completed a full year of games, just get him rested for back end of season.

I think Swans probably also know his weaknesses to limit his output today.

If we make choices on goals then he would have more selfish shots he gave one away running into a goal. He stays.

Swans play our ground like Freo. Im starting to think .. that we should have kept Waverley as a ground.

The biggest gripe with Smith for me was how slow he is at getting rid of the ball, a few times he took an age from a mark or free and let the entire Swans team get back in defense..

But i also think or hope a bit of that is just adjusting to the pace and getting back into it

My biggest gripe..is why was he selected? Is it just a bit a keeping him in the loop? Really cant see what we gained from playing him.

Rohan wasn't as bad as some are suggesting yes he didn't have many touches but his pressure and a few tackles seemed very important to me add to that he could of had a goal but handed it over the top to Hawkins and he was ok.. Down yes but ok

Rohan is not the first to play a stinker against his old side and some have said it had drained them playing the old side..so I don't count the swans game

Wise words, you only have to look at Menz at the other end to realise that it can’t be easy.
Also not easy to play FP his way when Sydney like to get numbers back the way they do

Smith is not replacing Stanley as our number one. Begone with this folly.
Agreed, and while I thought Smith was OK against Sydney I didn't think he played the kind of game that puts true pressure on Stanley's spot as our No. 1 ruckman. Rhys may not be the best tap ruckman in the AFL, but his athleticism and ability in general play make him far more valuable than just that one skill alone.

Last edited:
Wise words, you only have to look at Menz at the other end to realise that it can’t be easy.
Also not easy to play FP his way when Sydney like to get numbers back the way they do
Sydney are by far the most annoying team to watch with the style they play at least Freo have some really exciting players to watch to compensate for the s**t fest they play

I remember the AFL saying that all games would be shown free to air when Foxtel came on the scene.
SURE!!
I have many friends who are loosing interest simply because they can not see their team play.
That's an out and out lie. AFL have never said that, and I bet you couldn't find a source to back it up.

4 Options:
1) Get Telstra, watch for "free" on your phone
2) Get Kayo, watch for $25/mo on any device
3) Get Foxtel, watch for $125/mo on any device
4) Go to a pub, enjoy the game and celebrate the win in style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan is not the first to play a stinker against his old side and some have said it had drained them playing the old side..so I don't count the swans game

Duncan interviewed on radio post-game said that Rohan was noticeably nervous during the week coming up against his old team.

We can't continue to be beaten in the centre and rely on our accurate goal kicking to win games. Could be in for a shock in the finals unless things change.
Try the glass half full approach for this point.

We are getting beaten out of the centre and we are still winning matches well. No lucky scrapes across the line...

Imagine come finals time when we get our clearances in order? Then we’ll be playing even better.

I get every AFL game streamed to my iPad as part of my Cats digital membership.
It rocks!
That's really good isn't it. I think I'll get that next year if we only get 2 melb home games again.
Its heaps good now to watch footy live on TV/internet.
As a kid we sometimes would go to our friends house in Winchelsea as it was the only way to see footy live on a Saturday cause they had Prime instead of 7.

Good:
Hawkins, Danger, Kelly
Bad:
Guthrie, Parsons, Blicavs, too many to name
Many names who traditionally go missing when it gets hot in the kitchen..
Throw in Rohan and the new guys who run hot and cold, and can run out of steam as a season progresses.
Interesting game against tigers looms.
I still have hopes that this iteration of the team (with a few tweaks) can go all the way but will still have some misgivings come the pointy end.
Still 10-1.
Can’t do much better than that.

My biggest gripe..is why was he selected? Is it just a bit a keeping him in the loop? Really cant see what we gained from playing him.
We see things differently.
I could hear Horse from where I was sitting, and he was concerned enough about Smith's ruckwork and giving u sCC dominance.

I now I'm not the quickest bloke on the uptake but I think I finally saw the light with Guthrie yesterday.
I thought he was quite good when I realised I've been judging him as a 150 game player when I probably shouldn't.
I think that you were probably listening to the nuffies a little bit too much Spazz.

For those wondering why Sav keeps getting picked I can point to 2 moments

1 - The contest on the outer wing where he was outnumbered 2:1 and split the contest getting around player 1 to get involved in marking contest and cleared it to the boundary.

That is sheer will and effort - and to get a ball in from that was a massive win. Cant teach that.

2- the pick up below the knees at pace, turn and goal. Miers would have gotten praise for that at 178 cms - at 199 that is ridiculous. That also can't be taught.

Kid has skills and just needs time to grow into it all.

Go Catters
Savs effort is unbelievable. Big playyer in our forward pressure. No other ruck on our list gives this

Good win today, 22 points against the Swans is like 50 points against anyone else, 6-6-6 rule needs to be enforced at all times with them as the way they flood is so bad to watch.

I think that you were probably listening to the nuffies a little bit too much Spazz.
Nah, I am one of the main nuffies. But it's just at the point where you see we have injuries, and as long as he's not keeping a better, younger player out he's definitely good enough.
Just gotta forget how good he was in his first year and how many games he's played.

You blokes are easily pleased.

We aren't winning the flag if Guthrie starts in the midfield and Clark, Parsons and Smith are in the side.

We don't have any good ball users down back and our mids are lazy.

Is it that we're easy to please, or it could be you're impossible to please?

I’m starting to believe Jordan Clark (JC) is the second coming of Jesus Christ. Thank you God for returning him to the holy land of Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does that leave Jr. Are you saying Jordan Clark is actually Gary Ablett's forgotten third son?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back