Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it too early for a preview thread v Adelaide? Or do we wait until we see how they play tonight?

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Only Menzel to replace Taylor and thats how our forward line should be structured. Loved the forward pressure tonight.
When Hawkins is the only big forward he gets monstered by at least 2 KPDs, however when there is someone else to kick to, it takes away one of the KPDs and also allows Hawkins to roam upfield and provide a target for the defenders to kick to. Taylor hasn't played well, but he did kick the sealer and last week he was there to take the last mark and nearly win the game. He will be better for the run. Menzel coming into the team adds a whole new dimension and a different problem for our opposition as they rarely put a big defender on him and he is hard to match up on.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep but when he's off the boil, he's not great. Forward, he's lost
He has played ok forward many times. 4 goals against Rance last year is one of those times.
Who's better in defence, Kolo or Harry
Harry.
Why do we put one of our best defenders forward, for the sake of the forward line?
Because he seems the best bet at the moment. The alternative is playing him in defense, which means either Blicavs goes elsewhere or Kolo goes to a wing or is dropped. Harry forward can kick goals; he kicked the sealer last night, and it gives us flexibility as he can always go to defense if needed.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
What are you talking about !!

I went to a Geel v Syd game at the SCG - Blight and Barassi were the coaches

Ablett kicked either 13 or 14 goals - and at one stage in the last qtr - it looked like he was going to break Fred Fannings record
I was at that game. He kicked 14.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
This is my attitude to Harry, and I just said as much on a Cats Facey post:

At the moment we have, statistically, the most effective defence in the comp. aside from Murdoch - and even he has had his moments - there are no holes. And Taylor can't really swap for Murdoch.

So of the other 5 spots, there's no gap. No real weakness. Kolo is the weakest but he's doing fine. Now Taylor clearly can play one of those 5 roles. But whoever he replaces, does not deserve to be dropped. So what to do with the spare player created when you add Taylor to the 5 already occupying those spots?

Well, logically you look at where we have other gaps.
A second marking forward is the obvious one. Black and Ratugolea are not options, Crameri for now is not an option, Menzel isn't really that player, Buzza isn't up to it.

Of the 6 defenders we are trying to fit into 5 spots, which one can conceivably go forward, kick 1.5 goals a game, take a few contested marks, and draw a defender away from Hawkins? Why, Harry Taylor can.

He's never going to be as good forward as he is back.
BUT WE DONT NEED HIM TO BE!!!

The team benefits more from a mediocre Forward Harry Taylor than a still very good Defender Harry Taylor.

Now for all that, Henderson adds another variable to the mix because he too could conceivably be that second forward. But that's neither here nor there until he gets on the field.
This:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Just quietly I’m shocked at Stanley becoming consistent as the year goes on
Guess that's what happens when you give a player more than 3 games in a row in the No1 ruck spot without being a late in etc.
I know he's been s**t but before this year he's never had a run of games to prove himself in the ruck.

Yeah I was disturbed they dropped Cunico and kept Fogarty. Tackles, good goal and goal assists. (bows head in utter humiliation):$
Same - I questioned Cunico losing his spot after 1 quiet week while Fogarty who had been a little down his last couple of matches kept his spot.

Fog was good last night - now to try and work out how to fit Cunico into the side also

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Same - I questioned Cunico losing his spot after 1 quiet week while Fogarty who had been a little down his last couple of matches kept his spot.

Fog was good last night - now to try and work out how to fit Cunico into the side also

Murdoch out for cunico? Thats what i would do.

Good on Thon! Got to meet him a couple of weeks ago!

Good to see him go into bat to help his team mates. The flying kicks were pretty funny to.

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
This team is driving me nuts, I can't figure out if they're pretenders or the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Geelong were just coming off a loss to one of their long-term bunnies, then turn around and should have beaten the Swines by about 25 goals so what's that say? We're that good or they're rubbish? I have no idea :drunk:

GO CATS!

P.S. Tomahawk's past month or so has been superb, maybe apart from his goal-kicking accuracy.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Second time this year, Kelly and Parfitt lifted in last quarter (also v North) and pounced on everything in forward half. Damaging combination. Add in Cockatoo and Menzel and the forward line is taking shape again.

Firstly I'm not saying this because they are aboriginal BUT Kelly, Parfitt, JJ and "Sparkles" make a deadly group forward of center.
Collectively they cover EVERYTHING you could ever want 3 times over.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He has played ok forward many times. 4 goals against Rance last year is one of those times.

Harry.

Because he seems the best bet at the moment. The alternative is playing him in defense, which means either Blicavs goes elsewhere or Kolo goes to a wing or is dropped. Harry forward can kick goals; he kicked the sealer last night, and it gives us flexibility as he can always go to defense if needed.

Menzel in might be a good thing for harry. Spread the defense even wider.

Back