Review Geelong defeats the Pies by 68 points and are into another Prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

Miers covered a bit more ground last night than Blicavs, but O'Connor had them both covered

View attachment 982854
O'Connor's left foot 50m pinpoint pass into the middle was downright filthy. Ridiculous how fast he's picked up this sport.

Not unexpected. His last couple of seasons marred by injury and Blicavs playing more as a key back. Has otherwise always done a solid job. Good decisionmaker. Harrys extended career and continued form probably pushed last years decision.
Lucky for us no one snapped him up.
I used the word unexpected from a purely, personal opinion. I genuinely thought he was gone.
To say I'm delighted at being proved wrong would be a gross understatement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm curious to have a look later, but it would be interesting to see who our opponents are in those matches:
- how often in qualifying finals are we playing MCG tenants at the MCG?
- then in qualifying finals how often do we come up against an interstate side or a team that's had interstate travel with their previous match?
- then with the prelim, if we've gone the hard way we are obviously playing on the oppositions home ground
Nail on the head with your finals suspicions. 2016 onwards (it's drawing far too long a bow to go beyond that, with this group) the only outlier was Sydney 2016 prelim. Every other non MCG tenant we have beaten and every MCG tenant or interstate team at their home ground we have lost. Notable exception was Saturday night, and surprise surprise it happened when we played the MCG tenant *away* from their home ground. It's a lot like very good interstate teams dropping their bundle on GF day to MCG tenants, with only West Coast 2019 breaking the mould since 2012. This year is a very favourable format for the Cats or in fact any interstate team - we got to play Collingwood at a neutral ground and if we made the grand final it couldn't be at an opposition's home ground.

because we tend to be coming of a loss and the opposition are coming off a win. It's easy to over hype the elimination final winner and downplay the qualifying final loser. If you are 3rd or 4th best side losing 2 and winning 1 final is par. But to many it's worse than the 5th or 6th winning 1 and losing 1 which is also par.
Spot on. People will point to the top 2 ladder position years but I don't think in the back half of 2016, 2017 or 2019 our form was clearly in the best two sides of the competition. People forget how strong Richmond finished 2017, and Adelaide were the best team all year. Last year we went 5-5 at the back end, 2016 we were carried by some superhuman solo efforts (but still ended the year poorer than starting it). Then finishing top 2 in those years, the QF reward was playing an MCG team at their home ground, a place where generally we stink up the joint. I still have some regrets over 2016 because it was such a weak field and we actually got past the MCG tenant, but people forget how much of an aging and two man team we were that year. Dangerwood almost got us there singlehandedly, but nobody helped them in the most important match of the season.

The third or fourth best team over those years should probably still make it to the grand final once. Hopefully this year is the one it happens.

I’m going through the replay now. Early in the game the Pies had De Goey drop a mark, kicked one OOF, Cameron drop a pudding in the forward pocket. They’re the types of things that have happened to us in our bad finals. When it was happening to them and we were kicking straight down the other end, I knew we were good things.
It also made you realise just how momentum-lifting these moments have been for opposition when Geelong have made similar "drop the bundle" execution errors or fumbles in some of our finals. It gives them a sniff and automatically the side making the mistakes becomes the hunted. A few classy conversions later and the game feels done. Let's hope the shoe remains on the other foot!

A bit off topic but had to say something about this. Lynch and Cotchin are lucky to be playing this week, especially Cotchin. His tackle on St Kilda's Jones after the umpire had already blown the whistle was just dirty and typical of his sniper mentality. He gets the smaller Jones with a round arm to the neck and then follows through head-locking him as he swings him over his body and head-first into the ground and even on the ground continues to apply pressure to Jones head and neck. It would be a nice takedown if he were in a wrestling ring. It was a dirty act and could easily have taken Jones out of the game and done serious damage to his neck. Jones who is as tough as they come was dazed and holding his neck for a while before he struggled to get to his feet. Needless to say he was subdued for the rest of the match. Not only did St Kilda not get a 50m penalty but Cotchin's act was ignored by the umpires and later by the match review committee. He should have got 2 weeks for that incident but instead everyone is talking about Lynch's light knee to the neck of his prostrate opponent which was minor in comparison. If Geelong gets through to play Richmond in the GF I's like to see Cotchin given a dose of his own medicine. Maybe Port Adelaide will save us the trouble.

And then blithely dismisses it as "part of the game." That would be the game where the head is now supposedly sacrosanct.
There's one consolation here, might get off but are calling attention to themselves.
If Richmunt go the knuckle again, with the vision they've sat through, the umps will be all over it.

I dont know about that - dont listen to the media after the game - just watch the game and thats it

However re Coll playing their GF the previous week

I do think- Geelongs best performance by a mile this year - is the narrow loss to the Eagles in Perth - because that was a high tempo game - high std game - both teams had plenty of energy - whoever won that game - it was a really good win

There have been so many games this year - ( unusual cramped structure ) where one team looks physically exhausted from the opening bounce .

But you have to enjoy the win - you are a wowser if you dont . Coll had a fantastic win last week - weve had a big win last night - so you have to enjoy it - because we might get thumped next week ( and they will be writing the Geel obituaries )- hopefully not but nothing is a certainty .

James Kelly - might make a decent senior AFL coach one day - currently an assistant at Ess - he is a huge rap for Worsfold - and he said the number one thing he has learnt off Woosha - if you have a big win - you dont get on a big high - carried away - and conversely if you have a bad loss - you dont get too down in the dumps - you keep an even keel - pretty good approach that .
Chris Scott 101.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back