Review Geelong defeats the Pies by 68 points and are into another Prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s arguable that Collingwood played its GF against the Eagles and was well below their best.

However, the media giving us little to no credit really gives me the shits.
Agree. I came on to the Board to check that we had won. The major papers today give us nothing. Al about Cwood and de Goey.

Hard to believe how good Simpson was when the game was on the line. He showed some quality earlier in the year but still wasn't 100% convinced. Wow he was quality early on Saturday. He and Ablett were the 2 that gave us those moments of real class that takes you from controlling the game to dominating on the scoreboard.

Credit to Danger. I've been hard on him because I think his finals record has been appalling. But playing forward he gets the ball under a bit less pressure and if he tries to do a bit too much he doesn't have 2-3 blokes hanging off him making it impossible. Can't underestimate how much he hurts the opposition rebound either because the defenders have to spend so much time thinking about defending him. Our midfield looked so defensively sound and our forward line so dangerous with him up there. I'd be playing him forward next week especially for the first quarter to half. He could be a weapon moving in there in the second half once there's more space in the game but start him forward to give him and us time to settle early.

Hard to believe how good Simpson was when the game was on the line. He showed some quality earlier in the year but still wasn't 100% convinced. Wow he was quality early on Saturday. He and Ablett were the 2 that gave us those moments of real class that takes you from controlling the game to dominating on the scoreboard.

Credit to Danger. I've been hard on him because I think his finals record has been appalling. But playing forward he gets the ball under a bit less pressure and if he tries to do a bit too much he doesn't have 2-3 blokes hanging off him making it impossible. Can't underestimate how much he hurts the opposition rebound either because the defenders have to spend so much time thinking about defending him. Our midfield looked so defensively sound and our forward line so dangerous with him up there. I'd be playing him forward next week especially for the first quarter to half. He could be a weapon moving in there in the second half once there's more space in the game but start him forward to give him and us time to settle early.
His goal kicking has improved hugely in the past couple of months. Makes him much more valuable up forward when he kicks well. Plenty of times where he has gone forward and continually shanked them, which means we lose out by not having him in the midfield. Cause he is not causing damage by kicking points.

O'connor will start playing midfield. He's built for it.
Loves traffic. How was that 50m left foot pass?

Left bloody foot.
I’d picked up my Cats Nurf footy ( stress tool that gets piffed at the wall at 3am when it goes pear shaped as it’s pretty quiet and I can’t yell) but I never had to throw it - but I was right there with you - it was a great execution of skill and dare.
Go Catters

This is why Ablett doesn't need many disposals to have an impact

I read somewhere that Ablettt had 10 disposals and 7 score involvements. From memory Duncan had the most score involvements with 10 (from 30 touches). Ablett may not get the ball as often as he used to, but he still makes it count when he does.

Also, here are the coaches votes from the SF:

9 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
9 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
2 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
2 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Jed Bews (GEEL)

To be honest, I only really posted them so I can say that Stanley is the only player to have received coaches votes in both weeks of the finals so far this year.

I read somewhere that Ablettt had 10 disposals and 7 score involvements. From memory Duncan had the most score involvements with 10 (from 30 touches). Ablett may not get the ball as often as he used to, but he still makes it count when he does.

One thing I like from Saturday night - every Geelong player registered at least 1 score involvement

As you said, Ablett finished with 7 from 10 disposals - a showing of quality over quantity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
2 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
2 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Jed Bews (GEEL)

To be honest, I only really posted them so I can say that Stanley is the only player to have received coaches votes in both weeks of the finals so far this year.
Fascinated with him are ya?:)

Bews - not so sure. The rest seemed fine.

Let's see how the next 2 week's play out. Nothing has been proven yet. One final against a cooked Collingwood doesn't change anything.

Hard to take much out of that game. I can't see port Brisbane or Richmond playing as poorly as collingwood.

I get it. For the ABS Crew, it's enormously hard to take anything out of that game.

For any balanced observer, there was clear evidence that if we are consistently competitive around the ball (under what will be fiercer pressure, of course) and convert in front of goal, we are a decent chance against anyone.

And I also acknowledge the extent to which that is an inconvenient truth for those here who take the 'Henny Penny' viewpoint on how our club is going under the current coaching regime.

I get it. For the ABS Crew, it's enormously hard to take anything out of that game.

For any balanced observer, there was clear evidence that if we are consistently competitive around the ball (under what will be fiercer pressure, of course) and convert in front of goal, we are a decent chance against anyone.

And I also acknowledge the extent to which that is an inconvenient truth for those here who take the 'Henny Penny' viewpoint on how our club is going under the current coaching regime.

ABS Crew? Seen it mentioned a few times over the past day or two - have I missed something there?

Weird thing was De Goey's dropped mark in the first quarter was a carbon copy of a similar situation that happened last time we played them, but on that occasion it was actually paid and he goaled as a result.

De Goey's five goal 'masterclass' against us actually included two goals from marks that were just clear umpiring mistakes. The one you mentioned, and the one he dropped into a Cats defender and then regathered in the last quarter of that game.

Weren't winning the game, anyway, I know. But it was certainly a brilliant way to advantage the Pies on the scoreboard in a low-scoring game.

I think the biggest compliment Buckley paid us in his post match press conference was when he mentioned his players had lost hope. Looking at the stats, and in particular the pressure factor, Collingwood were up for the fight early, but their pressure dropped off after quarter time as they came to the realisation they couldn't win.

Same reality that emerged in our H&A games against Port, Brisbane (from half-time), and St Kilda. All finalists who never looked like it when we got our game going. You could almost say the same once we got truly serious in that Dogs game as well.

And yet we have to put up with mindless (and seemingly endless) chatter here about how the game plan isn't good enough and we are too defensive. Yet we've put more 'good teams to the sword over the course of the season than anyone else.

There really are none so blind as those who will not see.

And all it took was a team playing football - not a sly knee to the head of a downed opponent or attempt to incapacitate an opponent with a crude, unnecessary late tackle in sight.

Fair enough. But we really do lack the toughness required to suggest that we could go all the way this year. After all, surely we all long to see the day when one of our boys will man up and drop his knee into an opponent's neck. That's a level of bravery we've just never embraced at our club.

:rolleyes:

9 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
2 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
2 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Jed Bews (GEEL)

5+4 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4+5 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
1+3 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3+0 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
2+0 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
0+2 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
0+1 Jed Bews (GEEL)

This is why Ablett doesn't need many disposals to have an impact

Pretty sure his 3rd touch was an outrageously clean pick up and handball from congestion. That ended up with Danger trying to pick the ball up running into an open goal but getting a bad bounce and the Collingwood player rushing it through. He also had 2 more involvements leading to goals early in the second (Danger's first banana and Hawkins' set shot.

They didn't have that many touches between them but I reckon Ablett and Simpson were the best 2 on the ground up to the point we were 42 points up midway through the second quarter.

My god that is an amazing kick. On the non preferred too.

The execution is incredible. And the vision to see the opportunity (and the bravery to take the kick on) are just as commendable in my view.

He is an amazing talent, given he's a whole five years into playing football for the very first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back