Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy Classified is hardly a collection of wise footy minds.

At least drunk Robbo is entertaining.

Footy Classified could have just easily pulled footage of Blicavs towelling Pendlebury as a tagger a few years back and used it then to make a case. That’s what they do, reactionary calls lacking well thought out analysis.

But it’s just one game so hardly a great sample size. Dusty is not firing on all cylinders. A racehorse short a gallop.

The problem with your analysis is it is self anointed. The counter argument mounted by numerous people is based on a fact. Stewart towled him up and that's a fact. What isn't, is (it won't happen next time and Martin was under done ect ect). That is just speculation by you. I know which side of the argument I want to be on right now.

As distinct from your learned self? Yes, it’s one sample but a successful one. Dusty has regularly destroyed us over the past 3-4 years so perhaps a different strategy to circumvent him might be prudent rather than more of the same?

The move wasn’t the reason we won the other night, but it shows that Stewart can be employed to lockdown Dusty it perhaps Petracca when forward come September. I know I’d have more confidence in him doing the job than with any other option.
How is this about me? Or can I not voice the view that Lloyd is a flower is a bed of s**t that is the FC panel. McClure, Hutchy and Kane. With Caro not even there :sick:

Our first choice for Dusty didn’t play on Friday. It isn’t just for s**t n giggles that we’ve given O’Connor this new role so far this season. The end game is Martin, hopefully in a final.

As distinct from your learned self? Yes, it’s one sample but a successful one. Dusty has regularly destroyed us over the past 3-4 years so perhaps a different strategy to circumvent him might be prudent rather than more of the same?

The move wasn’t the reason we won the other night, but it shows that Stewart can be employed to lockdown Dusty it perhaps Petracca when forward come September. I know I’d have more confidence in him doing the job than with any other option.

This is exactly what made Enright a truly great defender. He had the size to go with mid sized forwards but was so brilliant and creative on the smalls.
Stewart is very similar in that regard.
I think guys who spend a lot of time forward (Martin, Bontempelli), Stewart is a great match up for them.
It is what Richmond do with Dylan Grimes who excels at his role.

Stewart also hurts the opposition with his disposal which is something Kolo lacks.

The problem with your analysis is it is self anointed. The counter argument mounted by numerous people is based on a fact. Stewart towled him up and that's a fact. What isn't, is (it won't happen next time and Martin was under done ect ect). That is just speculation by you. I know which side of the argument I want to be on right now.
Answer me two things:

1. where did I refute that Stewart towelled him up. Read page 1, highly complimentary to TS.

2. Where did I argue it wouldn’t happen next time.

I was asked why I laughed, I answered. Nothing to do with the user who put up the comment. Just about FC.

Answer me two things:

1. where did I refute that Stewart towelled him up. Read page 1, highly complimentary to TS.

2. Where did I argue it wouldn’t happen next time.

I was asked why I laughed, I answered. Nothing to do with the user who put up the comment. Just about FC.

To me your clear insinuation was it didn't count for much cause martin was underdone and we have seen examples of things working once and not working again.

If that wasn't your intention I take it back and we all agree I guess.

The vision shows nothing to get excited about but the voiceover (Scarlett) gives you some insight into why they like Zach Guthrie.

Back in my day the term ‘Great team man’ was a kiss of death.:huh:
Having said that his game was solid, without being eye catching.
Hard to break into this team as a midsize backman for sure.

To me your clear insinuation was it didn't count for much cause martin was underdone and we have seen examples of things working once and not working again.

If that wasn't your intention I take it back and we all agree I guess.
Not at all. Just laughing at the puddle depth analysis by b grade hack footy journo’s not good enough for a gig on a host broadcaster, and that bar is set low.

Something happens once and they run with it, hence the Blicavs 2015 example.

Stewart could very well go to him again, and if that’s something successful we’ve stumbled upon in Kolo’s absence then great. Can deploy O’Connor to Cotchin or Lambert etc. or MOC could get his chance.

Just been highlighted on Footy Classified and I suggested it earlier this year and prior to the GF - Stewart is the match up for Dusty when he goes forward. Forget Kolo - you need a gun to take care of a gun. And he did.
Kolo is just a nullifier at best and plays dumb.
Stewart can turn defense into attack. Made Dusty accountable Doesn’t like that.
Looked like Bews had him for a bit too?

do you understand what a normal distribution is? Just cos the age Cliff doesn’t hit everyone at the same age doesn’t mean it does not exist. It still exists and still kills a side. For every 33 year old still going strong there is a 28 year who is done before he was expected to be done.

we have just been lucky in that we keep recruiting players to replace the ones falling off the cliff. how sustainable will that be.

Yeah only time will tell. We’ve gotten through the first decade ok but we will have to wait and see over the long term

this refutes the postulation that the hawks have invested in established top tier talent and done nothing with it how, exactly?
What is with people putting words in my mouth tonight?

I merely offered the view is no longer an A grader. That is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yours is an excellent post - i recorded the game - then i watched it - thus i already knew the result

And although very happy with the big win - after watching it - some of those goals in the 3rd qtr were underwhelming . Like if all the goals in the 3rd qtr were like when Rohan beat Vaustin pointless in a 1 on 1 marking contest - then that is totally different - because that is excellent play - a really good contested mark - against a very good player - who is also good o/head

But they wernt - 3 or 4 goals in the 3rd qtr were from horrendous Richmond ( Fitzroy 1995 type stuff ) mistakes - that isnt going to happen again with Richmond again - or any current Afl team for that matter
A good team making mistakes is a function of either pressure from the other team or that team just plain running out of gas. Both those things are repeatable

Wingard by the time he got to Hawthorn was not an A grader. Was lucky to be a B grader.
He sure wasn't perceived that way. I had in-laws who were up in arms about it. Every port fan I spoke to wanted Hinkleys head. If the players they got back hadn't immediately stepped up then Hinkley would have been sacked no question.

He was brilliant when on but clearly a bit of a sook and occasionally a downhill skier. Classic case of a player who is elite in a good team and useless when outside the 8

He sure wasn't perceived that way. I had in-laws who were up in arms about it. Every port fan I spoke to wanted Hinkleys head. If the players they got back hadn't immediately stepped up then Hinkley would have been sacked no question.

He was brilliant when on but clearly a bit of a sook and occasionally a downhill skier. Classic case of a player who is elite in a good team and useless when outside the 8
He was awesome for a few years. By the time he got to the Hawks he was lucky not to have been dropped.
Spent the whole game doing his hair.

He was awesome for a few years. By the time he got to the Hawks he was lucky not to have been dropped.
Spent the whole game doing his hair.
Might have to agree to disagree because I really think the clear drop off in form was after he went. Just checked some of his stats and his last game for Port was a 32 disposal game in a loss and a couple before that he kicked 4 goals in a losing showdown. He hasn't kicked 4 goals in any game at the Hawks and hasn't had 30+ disposals in his time there either. Stats don't tell the whole story but I think they two enough of it here

Might have to agree to disagree because I really think the clear drop off in form was after he went. Just checked some of his stats and his last game for Port was a 32 disposal game in a loss and a couple before that he kicked 4 goals in a losing showdown. He hasn't kicked 4 goals in any game at the Hawks and hasn't had 30+ disposals in his time there either. Stats don't tell the whole story but I think they two enough of it here
Yeah, averaged 20 touches and a goal a game. That ain't bad.
Couple of years before that he was averaging 2 goals a game though. Think he even made the AA team.

Couple of years before that he was averaging 2 goals a game though. Think he even made the AA team.

Then came Fortnite.

Who said he was up there with the likes of Rance or Scarlett? I never did.
Henderson was always a gun defender at Carlton.
His final year he was piss poor but he told them he was leaving but you simply can't ignore the fact he was a walk up starter at Geelong.
This is what I mean when you speak of all the players who retired form Geelong. They did but they were quickly replaced by guys like Rivers, Henderson and Tuohy.
When Johnson left, he was replaced by Dangerfield.
Some players such as Rohan, Stanley, Dahlhaus, Clarke, Smith have been laughable at times but all in all, our list shits on 3 quarters of the competition year in and year out.

every player gets replaced by someone. We replaced Garry ablett in 2011 with a 19 year old VFL player.
I’m simply pointing out we lost enormously talented elite players who formed the greatest football team geelong has ever had in 150 years slowly over a 5-10 year period. We never replaced them with even 50% of the talent they had. But yes, your right.. we replaced them with someone whether it be a VFL player or a b-c grade foot soldier through trade.

it really should have gotten to the point of a collapse but I’d say from looking at our top line players, it’s been avoided because of fantastic internal development.

this is our top 6 players in last years grand final in no order:
1. Cameron guthrie
2. Hawkins
3. Stewart
4. Menegola
5. Duncan
6. Dangerfield

only one of our top six players in the grand final was due to a trade. The rest were internal development

I’m happy for you to compare most of those names but the words Dangerfield and Mengelola don’t belong in the same sentence.

his a great player danger, but he ain’t what he used to be in his prime. His lost a yard or so of most things. Still good enough to be AA caliber, but I don’t rate him anymore among the top 1-5 players in the AFL.

My respect for menegola has gone up quite considerably last year and that grand final.
Most of our players were abysmal and he didn’t play a big game either, but that mark and goal from 55m under that pressure really has me put him in a big light.

fair enough if you want to say in being exaggerative, but I just rate menegola highly, probably higher than most

I think the stat changes there just reflect him moving into more midfield rotations as he started to become more physically ready to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back