Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
All fair points but what seems to be ignored a lot - what role do the players have in this?

players aren’t robots. You don’t punch in a formula And send them out to play and then they just do it. Their own ability, their own decision making, and the opposition all become a factor.
There would be countless times every weekend where a team doesn’t execute the game plan they are given

good post. If you look over the years of Scott’s tenure as well, the names he has had to try and replace through player departures would be incredible holes to fill and strategically cover up.

over a ten year period we have transitioned all our triple premiership stars and either replaced them with s**t draft picks, or mature B grade players baring the exception of one A grader. I honestly have no idea how we didn’t end up like hawthorn right now who also got in more mature players and better quality ones than we did! Yet look at them now, they are a s**t heap at the bottom despite the quality nature age recruits.

I have no idea how he has avoided a bottom out like he has and redeveloped at the same time. It’s actually nuts when you think about how he could pull it off

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I’d laugh myself (although I’d be a little horrified that he would even bother). But as you know, for the rest of us (media included) are merely observers and many of us (including media) had the same observation that the style that takes some risk and bravery is much more effective than the ultra cautious style.

Anyway- it was a great win on Friday and I look forward to the same style hopefully for the rest of the season, regardless of how any of us categorise it !

anyone who claims you can change a game plan you have been practicing all pre season doesn’t know how things work. I have heard Clarkson in press conferences say you have to wait till pre season to make big changes as you don’t have the time. You can make tinkers and adjustments during the year, but you can’t change the foundations of it.

think about it from a common sense point of view, you practice it everyday for 6 months of an off season, do you honestly think you can just throw it out within a week??
What we did on Friday is what we have been trying to execute all season, probably some adjustments like always, but nothing more

I don't have the patience or time to read more than two pages of the thread.

Has anyone questioned the last time we played that well?
I know we won the prelim by 10 goals but we didn't play as well as that.

I don't think we played any game in 2020 that well.
Fast, take the game on, execute, and finish with class.
I think we'd have to go way back to find a better performance.
The last time we belted Richmond had a similar feel to it.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Must be the coach then, being the one constant. Thanks for proving my point 😂

I always hear these sort of posts referring back to early 2010’s and beyond, with people like yourself wanting your cake and to eat it too with contradictory positions.

on one hand you want to go on about how brilliant our premiership team was an we need to develop a side like that again, but then when all the retirements and declines of that great premiership side are pointed out you ignore it entirely and say “so what?” We still should have won a premiership. That apparently our generational champions leaving or declining had no impact or relevance on team performance.

either you didn’t think much of our premiership years or you do. Can’t have a piece of it both ways depending whatever suits your agenda

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Having endured the 44 year drought I think I would have preferred a couple of lean years in order to draft elite talent. Nor is losing finals year in and year out all that much fun.

It's true Scott has managed things very well: he got the job because he said, having watched what happened at Brisbane, he could develop the team while remaining competitive. And he has largely succeeded in doing so, short of actually winning a flag. Some poor draft picks didn't help; nor did injuries to Menzel and Vardy, who were arguably the most gifted players we've drafted in the period we're considering.

I do find Scott frustrating in some ways - talks in tongues at times; keeps dropping the younger players while sticking with established players who are in reality B-graders etc. Nor can it be denied that we have played some extremely pedestrian football t times over the last 2 or 3 years. I trust that we'll see more of what we saw on Friday night now.

It's true Scott has managed things very well: he got the job because he said, having watched what happened at Brisbane, he could develop the team while remaining competitive. And he has largely succeeded in doing so, short of actually winning a flag. Some poor draft picks didn't help; nor did injuries to Menzel and Vardy, who were arguably the most gifted players we've drafted in the period we're considering.
I’ve got some good news for you...

1620543200803.jpeg

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Oops! But you know what I mean: Stevie J, Chappy, Bartel, Ling, Corey were in that team. Scott unloaded them all as part of his re-building while remaining competitive strategy. We might have won the flag in 2013 had Chappy not been suspended before the PF which we lost by 5 points.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Why do you want to be rated at this time of the year?

Melbourne are being called perfect and unbeatable. Watch it all unravel quickly come finals.
Sure- nobody wants to be May premiers but is it asking too much to acknowledge a very strong performance from a team? And yep, I don’t really care about their opinions - just amazed how dopey they are.
Dees look good to me- can’t see them unravelling in the finals but of course they are beatable.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
WGAF really? We know the media does in general does not rate us compared to the Tiggers. Only we know the truth

I actually can’t recall a win we have had this year we’re the commentary has said a single positive thing about us.

we win it’s “ oppo dreadful and wasteful or there is an injury on the playing list”. If we loose it’s “ old slow cats not up to it and brilliant opposition open them up”.

the bias is shocking.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I always hear these sort of posts referring back to early 2010’s and beyond, with people like yourself wanting your cake and to eat it too with contradictory positions.

on one hand you want to go on about how brilliant our premiership team was an we need to develop a side like that again, but then when all the retirements and declines of that great premiership side are pointed out you ignore it entirely and say “so what?” We still should have won a premiership. That apparently our generational champions leaving or declining had no impact or relevance on team performance.

either you didn’t think much of our premiership years or you do. Can’t have a piece of it both ways depending whatever suits your agenda
Got me mixed up with someone else. I’m not someone who has panned the mature recruit path. In most cases it has worked. And we have gone to the draft more recently, and got a good balance between old and new. It’s ok to bring in older recruits as long as you keep bringing the younger guys through.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually can’t recall a win we have had this year we’re the commentary has said a single positive thing about us.

we win it’s “ oppo dreadful and wasteful or there is an injury on the playing list”. If we loose it’s “ old slow cats not up to it and brilliant opposition open them up”.

the bias is shocking.
True

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Why do you want to be rated at this time of the year?

Melbourne are being called perfect and unbeatable. Watch it all unravel quickly come finals.
Oh so you're one of those.
There was someone here that suggested Melbourne hadn't beaten anyone.
Then they pumped us and the poster shut up.

Zero losses is good in any book.
Can they maintain it? Who knows.

But they deserve a moment in the sun.

mac_cat

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
How good is footy! Ya don’t have to win the flag to enjoy this game. Being there last night was so much fun. Unbelievable team to support.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a game in person so much. The thrill of that third quarter, with us Cats fans roaring at every mark in the forward line and every goal, feels like no other experience. So much fun.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
good post. If you look over the years of Scott’s tenure as well, the names he has had to try and replace through player departures would be incredible holes to fill and strategically cover up.

over a ten year period we have transitioned all our triple premiership stars and either replaced them with sh*t draft picks, or mature B grade players baring the exception of one A grader. I honestly have no idea how we didn’t end up like hawthorn right now who also got in more mature players and better quality ones than we did! Yet look at them now, they are a sh*t heap at the bottom despite the quality nature age recruits.

I have no idea how he has avoided a bottom out like he has and redeveloped at the same time. It’s actually nuts when you think about how he could pull it off

He took over a list which still had more talent than just about every other team in the competition apart from Hawthorn.
In fact, while you talk of players who have departed, pay close attention to all the players the club brought in.
Tuohy, Henderson, Caddy, Dangerfield and now Cameron and Higgins. These guys weren't just anybodies looking for a fresh new start, they were still among the best 10 or so players at their respective clubs.
Some would even say they were upgrades over ageing legs at the time.

You act as though he's had nothing to work with and has somehow pulled off wins as though no one else could do this with players like Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Johnson, Dangerfield, Duncan and co.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He took over a list which still had more talent than just about every other team in the competition apart from Hawthorn.
In fact, while you talk of players who have departed, pay close attention to all the players the club brought in.
Tuohy, Henderson, Caddy, Dangerfield and now Cameron and Higgins. These guys weren't just anybodies looking for a fresh new start, they were still among the best 10 or so players at their respective clubs.
Some would even say they were upgrades over ageing legs at the time.

You act as though he's had nothing to work with and has somehow pulled off wins as though no one else could do this with players like Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Johnson, Dangerfield, Duncan and co.

Closest analogy is hawthorn and they’ve brought in Patton, Mitchell, Wingard, Impey, Hartigan, Scully and McEvoy, Frawley (yes McEvoy and Frawley arrived mid-three peat) and how are they looking now?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Closest analogy is hawthorn and they’ve brought in Patton, Mitchell, Wingard, Impey, Hartigan, Scully and McEvoy, Frawley (yes McEvoy and Frawley arrived mid-three peat) and how are they looking now?
And Omeara.
To be fair Patton was an injured sex pest, Wingard was past his short lived best, Impey was never very good, Scully was finished and Mitchell broke his leg.
Take out Omeara (who's injured half the time), Mitchell and McEvoy and all the rest don't even equal one Danger put together.
I don't know why they went down that path TBH. Maybe worried about fickle supporters.
But I'm glad they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back