Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
And Omeara.
To be fair Patton was an injured sex pest, Wingard was past his short lived best, Impey was never very good, Scully was finished and Mitchell broke his leg.
Take out Omeara (who's injured half the time), Mitchell and McEvoy and all the rest don't even equal one Danger put together.

Which would suggest poor recruiting and management in the case of Patton and something the coach has not complete but a fair amount of control over.
Getting your targets right, integrating them into the group, and getting the best out of them is a coach’s job. It isn’t as simple as just saying ‘well we started with a good side and keep bringing established players in so we will keep having a good side.’

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Which would suggest poor recruiting and management in the case of Patton and something the coach has not complete but a fair amount of control over.
Getting your targets right, integrating them into the group, and getting the best out of them is a coach’s job. It isn’t as simple as just saying ‘well we started with a good side and keep bringing established players in so we will keep having a good side.’
No it is not. But they did get a lot of the failures dirt cheap. Still dumb decisions though.
If you get good players in you'll still have a good side. Probs won't win a flag but can still be decent.
Even they were competitive before Mitchell broke his leg.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No it is not. But they did get a lot of the failures dirt cheap. Still dumb decisions though.
If you get good players in you'll still have a good side. Probs won't win a flag but can still be decent.
Even they were competitive before Mitchell broke his leg.

They were indeed. But if arguably the best coach in 40 years has a struggle on his hands to achieve it, it can’t be easy.
And the best part is our draft picks and young players are better than what a lot of people probably thought they would be. Guys like Bews, Parfitt, Miers, Simpson when he’s fit, Close, they look certain to make it if they haven’t already (Parfitt and Bews I would say certainly have), and we have depth that we didn’t before - not necessarily superstar coverage but hey we did what we did the other night without Dangerfield, and while he’s no world beater we’ve got an established forward option kicking 7 in the twos who may not come in and dominate but would certainly play a role if required. Imagine if we still had Kelly!

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
They were indeed. But if arguably the best coach in 40 years has a struggle on his hands to achieve it, it can’t be easy.
And the best part is our draft picks and young players are better than what a lot of people probably thought they would be. Guys like Bews, Parfitt, Miers, Simpson when he’s fit, Close, they look certain to make it if they haven’t already (Parfitt and Bews I would say certainly have), and we have depth that we didn’t before - not necessarily superstar coverage but hey we did what we did the other night without Dangerfield, and while he’s no world beater we’ve got an established forward option kicking 7 in the twos who may not come in and dominate but would certainly play a role if required. Imagine if we still had Kelly!
Yeah Henry too. He is now a top quality player.
And yeah Bews, Miers, Simpson and I think Henry too? were basically free.
Hawks might of got Patton, Scully etc almost free but look how good we did with our low picks!

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah Henry too. He is now a top quality player.
And yeah Bews, Miers, Simpson and I think Henry too? were basically free.
Hawks might of got Patton, Scully etc almost free but look how good we did with our low picks!

Absolutely Henry looks capable of being elite. He’s playing sensational football at the moment and he’s only going to get better. He’s playing with belief and confidence and he’s actually reminding me a lot of his blonde offsider In the backline who is another incredible success story.

100 per cent our recruiting has helped us stay relevant. Dangerfield has simply carried that team on his shoulders at times and was just a kiss of life to the club when he arrived. But boy I love our ability to turn not much into something that contributes

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I was pretty cold on Esava as well but he as much as anyone else could benefit from Cameron being there.
Prior, he was asked to play a role he wasn’t capable of playing: taking one of the better defenders when he went forward and being a usable target. When a player isn’t up to the job they’re given, they look poor and not AFL standard.

the other night suddenly he was just a second ruckman who roamed the forward half of the field smashing into people and not taking the second best defender. And just like that he looked capable of playing the role he’d been given

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely Henry looks capable of being elite. He’s playing sensational football at the moment and he’s only going to get better. He’s playing with belief and confidence and he’s actually reminding me a lot of his blonde offsider In the backline who is another incredible success story.

100 per cent our recruiting has helped us stay relevant. Dangerfield has simply carried that team on his shoulders at times and was just a kiss of life to the club when he arrived. But boy I love our ability to turn not much into something that contributes
I believe we will all be saying the same thing again once Holmes is a regular in the side

The_Koulouriotis_Fan

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Love how everyone who has a problem with Scott on here thinks they know better than him and a coaching panel that includes Scarlett, Enright and Lappin. If any of you spuds coached Geelong we wouldn’t win a game!
It’s amazing how Geelong continue to compete year in year out, the last 10 years has been exceptional (not mediocre) and the envy of every club except Richmond and the Hawks!

It was awesome to watch us flog Richmond! So exciting to see Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan run riot! Hope we can beat them when it counts but for the moment, I’ll live in the now! HOW SWEET WAS THAT!

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m continually astonished that people think opposing supporters - particularly Richmond - are going to be pleasant towards us. They’ve waited a long long time. Basic supporter behaviour 101.

Maybe it’s me, but i just don’t have it in me to have such ‘hate’ (albeit it’s Internet hate that I’m seeing, so who really knows), so I’m just continually astounded that people give that much of a s#it over a game.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
It took getting Cameron to have a forward line that could make it work. We try that last year and we would have just been opened up on rebounds for likely a net loss against the scores it generated
Yep. For fast attack to work, you need defenders to be reacting and second guessing and spread apart. Which requires credible threats. Otherwise they proactively zone off the main focal point (Hawkins) and then are in position to attack and cut through our players who are now no longer defensively positioned. With Cameron in the team, teams have to respect all three forwards and are rarely going to be 2 or 3 against 1. This in turn means that even if we don’t mark or score, the contest will be probably 70/30 in our favour to actually lock into the forward line. This allows our mids and defenders to be in attacking positions to keep the ball coming back into our forward 50, should it get hacked out.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Love how everyone who has a problem with Scott on here thinks they know better than him and a coaching panel that includes Scarlett, Enright and Lappin. If any of you spuds coached Geelong we wouldn’t win a game!
It’s amazing how Geelong continue to compete year in year out, the last 10 years has been exceptional (not mediocre) and the envy of every club except Richmond and the Hawks!

It was awesome to watch us flog Richmond! So exciting to see Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan run riot! Hope we can beat them when it counts but for the moment, I’ll live in the now! HOW SWEET WAS THAT!
People like you are 10x more boring than people who occasionally criticise the coach. Why even bother watching or discussing anything? You already know the club and coach get everything 100% right all the time.

It's great to be up and about after we knock off the reigning premiers, but not so much when we're getting rolled by a team of plodders like Adelaide or a bunch of Sydney kids.

There's a fairly strong argument that we should have managed at least one flag in the 2012-2020 period. There's no doubt at all we should have made more than one GF. We have had several players in that time who are borderline irreplaceable (Taylor, Selwood, Hawkins for example) and the opposition has ranged from pretty good to pretty average. There's also the small issue of the club being on record about not being able to afford to drop down the ladder and saying that making finals and crashing out being a commercially acceptable result.

PS you don't have to be better at a given role than someone to have a reasonable basis to criticise them. E.g. I can say that Dangerfield's disposal is not great even though it's a lot better than mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
People like you are 10x more boring than people who occasionally criticise the coach. Why even bother watching or discussing anything? You already know the club and coach get everything 100% right all the time.

It's great to be up and about after we knock off the reigning premiers, but not so much when we're getting rolled by a team of plodders like Adelaide or a bunch of Sydney kids.

There's a fairly strong argument that we should have managed at least one flag in the 2012-2020 period. There's no doubt at all we should have made more than one GF. We have had several players in that time who are borderline irreplaceable (Taylor, Selwood, Hawkins for example) and the opposition has ranged from pretty good to pretty average. There's also the small issue of the club being on record about not being able to afford to drop down the ladder and saying that making finals and crashing out being a commercially acceptable result.

PS you don't have to be better at a given role than someone to have a reasonable basis to criticise them. E.g. I can say that Dangerfield's disposal is not great even though it's a lot better than mine.
Weird post.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

What a rant!

"There's no doubt at all we should have made more than one GF." Thanks for confusing your opinion with fact; there's just not enough of that on the internet.

key distinction to be made between being critical. We all are that in some shape. From players to tactics to coaching to corporate structure to marketing to memberships and many more.

Then there are the ‘eeyore’s’. Those that live to criticise and scarcely give praise. Those that believe simultaneously that we draft poorly, trade poorly and yet finals failures are seen as reasons to sack the coach for poor coaching. An inconsistent mindset that is too common among this fanbase. That subsection needs to * right off with their non-credible moronic observations.
We dominated most facets against the swans bar the scoreboard. An unlucky night.
Statistically false.
on average you should win a premiership once every 18 years, and make a GF once every 9 years.

We made a GF 9 years after 2011 and are only halfway through the statistical average of 18 for a flag.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
5 days before we play the Saints :)

danger game for me.

this season there is an awkward amount of middle tier teams that when pumped up can produce excellent football, and much like the frustration of a s**t that just won’t flush, will get you on the occasional day when your a little off and they are fired up.

for me those teams are Carlton, st kilda, Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle.

need to remain very vigilant and alert for these ones.

Sheez you’d be fun at parties, and I am allowed to say that even though you would possibly be more fun than me. Am I doing it right?

juzcat

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Singapore
AFL Club
Geelong
If the back six at other clubs are having scary thoughts about facing Geelong's potent forward
Just imagine replacing Dahlhaus and Parfitt with Danger and Miers

Patrick Dangerfield - Jeremy Cameron - Gryan Miers
Gary Rohan - Tom Hawkins - Brad Close
think you underate Parfitts value to the team. Side step, smart user, makes time, tackles. He wont go out anytime soon

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

think you underate Parfitts value to the team. Side step, smart user, makes time, tackles. He wont go out anytime soon

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. He's hard at it, tackles with intent, and works hard to get to the contest.

Quality player who is a lock at the selection table every week. :thumbsu:

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
He took over a list which still had more talent than just about every other team in the competition apart from Hawthorn.
In fact, while you talk of players who have departed, pay close attention to all the players the club brought in.
Tuohy, Henderson, Caddy, Dangerfield and now Cameron and Higgins. These guys weren't just anybodies looking for a fresh new start, they were still among the best 10 or so players at their respective clubs.
Some would even say they were upgrades over ageing legs at the time.

You act as though he's had nothing to work with and has somehow pulled off wins as though no one else could do this with players like Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Johnson, Dangerfield, Duncan and co.

did you just honestly tell me loosing our entire triple premiership team of once in a generational stars and then size it up to equal gains bringing in josh caddy, Henderson, Tuohy, Henderson, dangerfield, Higgins in the space of ten years?? Lollollol.

Sorry but if you want to keep telling me how losing Garry ablett, jimmy bartel, Joel Corey, brad ottens, Cameron Mooney, Steve Johnson, Andrew Jackie, Corey enright, Matthew Scarlett, Harry Taylor, Matthew stokes, James podsiadly, James Kelly, David wojonski, Darren milburn, Cameron ling, ... I will stop now witho bothering to look further as the point is obvious. But if you’re telling me bleeding out those champions from your team each and every season won’t make your team worse off because you brought in a few B grade mature players, then I obviously have a lot more respect and appreciation for that triple premiership team than you do.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Thankfully got some time to watch the replay yesterday.

That third quarter I'd describe as brutal, powerful and relentless. We bashed Richmond with their own game. Obviously, it's going to be difficult to replicate that level each week, but we finally saw what this group is capable of. The question is, should we make it, can we produce it in September?

But it is a tantalising prospect knowing that it is in our locker.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
we have depth that we didn’t before - not necessarily superstar coverage but hey we did what we did the other night without Dangerfield, and while he’s no world beater we’ve got an established forward option kicking 7 in the twos who may not come in and dominate but would certainly play a role if required.

Older but Fort going well also. Nice to have an injury back up we know will do ok if needs to be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back