Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah and I’m sure at the same age as Zac Guthrie with 30 games and about 10 disposals and 1.5 tackles a game Rooke was the beast he is remembered as now

Not to mention at that stage of his career he was 'Jarad' and enjoyed walks on the beach, knitted sweaters and pictures of puppies. 'Max' on the other hand enjoyed crushing his enemies and seeing them driven before him, not to mention hearing the lamentations of their women. He gave no quarter nor did he ask for it.

6263105afa99d61c18a16fbc36596561

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah and I’m sure at the same age as Zac Guthrie with 30 games and about 10 disposals and 1.5 tackles a game Rooke was the beast he is remembered as now

Correct. Rooke was a work in progress for a fair while. It took until late 2005 and about 60-odd games before he transitioned from being maybe best 22 to definitely having a role:

- Round 20 2005 - Rooke was played as a small/medium defender, and conceded most of the 7 goals Russell Robertson kicked. They won by 1 point.
- Round 21 2005 - Rooke played for the first time as a tagger on Judd. Completely nullified his influence and we won by 76 points. After that he was set.

With the passage of time he has become massively overrated.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I get a little frustrated with an oversimplification of the fast ball/slow ball argument. Most of the time the speed of ball movement is determined by the tactics the opposition defence are using. If they’re playing one or two extras behind the ball then there’s not much choice but to move the ball around and search for the best avenue to goal. introduction of the 6,6,6 rule changes this a little bit but I still think opposition coaches have the major say in determining how we move the ball depending on “the look” they give us.
This is partly true. We are simplifying to make a point and so we don’t have to waste three paragraphs typing all the caveats. But even When clubs play extra behind the ball the fact that the majority of a teams players moves up the end where the ball is at means that fast ball movement on the transition will always gives you less defenders to deal with in your foward line compared to slow. If we played the game like we did back in the eighties where everyone stayed in the same 40 square metres of grass determined by their position then you would be correct. there would be no advantage to fast ball movement. But that’s not the game of the past 20 years. We all run up and down the field like in basketball. This creates a very big advantage to fast ball movement. All basketball fans know this. It’s weird that some football fans (and coaches) haven’t yet figured it out.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Correct. Rooke was a work in progress for a fair while. It took until late 2005 and about 60-odd games before he transitioned from being maybe best 22 to definitely having a role:

- Round 20 2005 - Rooke was played as a small/medium defender, and conceded most of the 7 goals Russell Robertson kicked. They won by 1 point.
- Round 21 2005 - Rooke played for the first time as a tagger on Judd. Completely nullified his influence and we won by 76 points. After that he was set.

We embelish him with warrior and gladiator attributes out of love, but not for one second do I believe any of us really 'overrate' him as a footballer. He was a player who, despite not being blessed with inate gifts like an Ablett or a Stevie J, worked his arse off to get the best out of himself. He seemed to love working at the coalface. Speaking purely for myself, give me a player like Max ahead of a statistic accumulator any day.

Some players such as Rohan, Stanley, Dahlhaus, Clarke, Smith have been laughable at times but all in all, our list shits on 3 quarters of the competition year in and year out.

It was only a week or so ago, I directed you to the Wells thread when you were blaming Scott for the s**t list we have...

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

Nup - cant agree their Partridge - youve posted that quite a few times over the journey that Rooke was massively overrated - just like youve posted several times that Milburns ( disgraceful ) elbow on Silvagni was somehow a " fair bump"

I agree with Claude who posted about 3-4 posts later - that Rooke did most things pretty well - good kick - good one grab o/head - strong - and moved well for someone 6ft 3 inc

Aug 17, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

In my eyes, Rooke is kind of like Tom Harley... never the greatest or most skilled, but brought something through which the team benefited. Harley's true value was in his leadership, not because he was the best player. Likewise, Rooke was valued because of his work ethic and his willingness to put his body on the line. It made his teammates walk taller. There was definitely a reason why the club went to great expense to send him to Germany to sort out his hamstrings.

Not to mention at that stage of his career he was 'Jarad' and enjoyed walks on the beach, knitted sweaters and pictures of puppies. 'Max' on the other hand enjoyed crushing his enemies and seeing them driven before him, not to mention hearing the lamentations of their women. He gave no quarter nor did he ask for it.

6263105afa99d61c18a16fbc36596561
Jarad was so lame.

I get a little frustrated with an oversimplification of the fast ball/slow ball argument. Most of the time the speed of ball movement is determined by the tactics the opposition defence are using. If they’re playing one or two extras behind the ball then there’s not much choice but to move the ball around and search for the best avenue to goal. introduction of the 6,6,6 rule changes this a little bit but I still think opposition coaches have the major say in determining how we move the ball depending on “the look” they give us.
Absolutely. I put a lot of the misunderstanding down to so many people watching on TV rather than at the game. At the North and Hawthorn games you could see the determined efforts to put all 18 players in Geelong’s forward half, stifling any attempt to move the ball quickly.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Cos spelling has nothing to do with judging football talent. are you trolling?
No, not trolling, but as someone who made state level in a much smaller sport I have an appreciation for how much work it takes to even get to that level.

From there I extrapolate, and figure that people who criticise effort, size or toughness in AFL players really have not achieved anything in their own lives - otherwise they would bite their tongues a bit more.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
It was only a week or so ago, I directed you to the Wells thread when you were blaming Scott for the sh*t list we have...

You have taken what I said completely out of context David. You have a habit of doing this.
I said our list is going to be in a lot of trouble and will be mid-table due to the path our club has taken going all in for a flag these last couple of years.
While I have no problem with the recruitment of Higgins and Smith as they serve a purpose we sorely lack, I am all for hitting the national draft and taking a punt on kids.
Our list is still better than most other lists in the competition. Anytime you add in a Brownlow medalist such as Dangerfield, a Coleman medalist such as Cameron and a couple of seasoned All Australians, of course you are going to have a team that wins more games than they lose.

Still means we fall off the cliff and take a tumble for many, many, many, many, many years David. It's coming. You know it. The club would know it but hey, they win a flag, who gives a fu*k right?

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
You have taken what I said completely out of context David. You have a habit of doing this.
I said our list is going to be in a lot of trouble and will be mid-table due to the path our club has taken going all in for a flag these last couple of years.
While I have no problem with the recruitment of Higgins and Smith as they serve a purpose we sorely lack, I am all for hitting the national draft and taking a punt on kids.
Our list is still better than most other lists in the competition. Anytime you add in a Brownlow medalist such as Dangerfield, a Coleman medalist such as Cameron and a couple of seasoned All Australians, of course you are going to have a team that wins more games than they lose.

Still means we fall off the cliff and take a tumble for many, many, many, many, many years David. It's coming. You know it. The club would know it but hey, they win a flag, who gives a fu*k right?
Ten years since people started telling us the Cats would fall of a cliff - I'm guessing it will be more like a small dip in the road.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Ten years since people started telling us the Cats would fall of a cliff - I'm guessing it will be more like a small dip in the road.

Still had a very strong spine who were 25-27 years of age and proven champions.
While the golden era were long in the tooth, Hawkins, Selwood, Taylor were right in their prime and good for another 5 years.
Right now as we speak, who of all the players aged 27 and under are exceptional champions capable of picking up the slack?
Atkins?
Bews?
Henry?

It's a different age demographic now. The cliff is facing us right in the face.

Unless we somehow get a Merrett and a H.Andrews in the next year or two, we won't stay aloft for long at all.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
In my eyes, Rooke is kind of like Tom Harley... never the greatest or most skilled, but brought something through which the team benefited. Harley's true value was in his leadership, not because he was the best player. Likewise, Rooke was valued because of his work ethic and his willingness to put his body on the line. It made his teammates walk taller. There was definitely a reason why the club went to great expense to send him to Germany to sort out his hamstrings.

Yep that part is pretty accurate. Certainly the Sydney game in late 2006 where he set the tone early with his tackling ferocity, and also the tackle in the Grand Final.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Nup - cant agree their Partridge - youve posted that quite a few times over the journey that Rooke was massively overrated - just like youve posted several times that Milburns ( disgraceful ) elbow on Silvagni was somehow a " fair bump"

I agree with Claude who posted about 3-4 posts later - that Rooke did most things pretty well - good kick - good one grab o/head - strong - and moved well for someone 6ft 3 inc

Not saying he was crap or anything, just that as much as we loved his style for a couple of years there, they coped well without him. He missed most of 2007 and they still crushed the competition. I reckon from 2006-2009 he was a very good footballer. I bet no one would have imagined in the 2009 Grand final he only had one more game in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back