Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still had a very strong spine who were 25-27 years of age and proven champions.
While the golden era were long in the tooth, Hawkins, Selwood, Taylor were right in their prime and good for another 5 years.
Right now as we speak, who of all the players aged 27 and under are exceptional champions capable of picking up the slack?
Atkins?
Bews?
Henry?

It's a different age demographic now. The cliff is facing us right in the face.

Unless we somehow get a Merrett and a H.Andrews in the next year or two, we won't stay aloft for long at all.
It sounds like the same story we have heard every year. The thing is we just picked up Cameron, we have three good picks in this year's draft and a bunch of young blokes in the VFL who look to step up. Not all of them will come good but some will.

And then we have our system.

Not saying he was crap or anything, just that as much as we loved his style for a couple of years there, they coped well without him. He missed most of 2007 and they still crushed the competition. I reckon from 2006-2009 he was a very good footballer. I bet no one would have imagined in the 2009 Grand final he only had one more game in him.

I remember that game against Carlton at the G. Their smalls tore us apart.

I remember watching Rooke and thinking he was gone.

I remember that game against Carlton at the G. Their smalls tore us apart.

I remember watching Rooke and thinking he was gone.

Max brought massive physical mid field presence to compliment a pretty tough team around the ground (Chappy, Mooney, Milburn, Hunt, Scarlett). Even though the Port mids in 2007 GF actually got quite a lot of possessions they were ineffective, in part due to Max throwing himself at them. He also had enough skill to mean that he could be reasonably effective with a few possessions. I often think that we could have done with another Max in finals in last 10 years - Joel has often had to be relied on for the physical contest. Not sure who could fulfil that role now.

(FWIW - IMO Max stole the show at the 2007 GF preso on the Sunday at KP - merely with a rasped couple of words, still in his crumpled suit from the night before - very Max. Had the team roaring with laughter).

Last edited:
Yours is an excellent post - i recorded the game - then i watched it - thus i already knew the result

And although very happy with the big win - after watching it - some of those goals in the 3rd qtr were underwhelming . Like if all the goals in the 3rd qtr were like when Rohan beat Vaustin pointless in a 1 on 1 marking contest - then that is totally different - because that is excellent play - a really good contested mark - against a very good player - who is also good o/head

But they wernt - 3 or 4 goals in the 3rd qtr were from horrendous Richmond ( Fitzroy 1995 type stuff ) mistakes - that isnt going to happen again with Richmond again - or any current Afl team for that matter
I think your underselling the win. The only really bad mistake they made without any pressure was when Broad dropped the mark and Close pounced.
The other mistakes and fumbles were caused by Geelongs immense pressure. You could see it clear as day. Maybe rewatch the game.
We flogged them without Danger, Miers and 3 injuries on the bench. Wtf more do people want???

Last edited:
I think your underselling the win. The only really bad mistake they made without any pressure was when Broad dropped the mark and Close pounced.
The other mistakes and fumbles were caused by Geelongs immense pressure. You could see it clear as day. Maybe rewatch the game.
We flogged them without Danger, Miers and 3 injuries on the bench. Wtf more do people want???
Played our best footy for a long time. ( although very good against Wc) Applied great pressure, showed great skills, hit targets by hand and foot, tackled fiercely, remained composed under serious pressure, made good decisions, everyone contributed, good accuracy on goal, played in a genuinely exciting manner. All this against the ‘benchmark’ of the comp. Pretty good report card.

It sounds like the same story we have heard every year. The thing is we just picked up Cameron, we have three good picks in this year's draft and a bunch of young blokes in the VFL who look to step up. Not all of them will come good but some will.

And then we have our system.

Cameron's good yes. A massive inclusion and one who will replace Hawkins who will very likely taper out over the next 18 months given he's 33 and not many power forwards last till 35 yrs of age in the modern game.
The three picks we have in this years draft, aren't they picks in the mid to late 20's?
Better than nothing but given 2021 draft will be a solid midfielders draft, and we need some mids to replace the ageing Dangerfield, Selwood, Smith and Higgins, most of the best ones will get snapped up early.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if we win a flag does it?
Look at Hawthorn, now sitting mid table for many, many years but they have all those premierships to show for it. The most recent just six years ago. They can afford to languish in no man's land for the next five or so years.

The post you were commenting on said Smith was in the laughable group. I query that.

I was not in any way agreeing with that poster's list as laughable...frankly he hasn't got a clue.

Isaac Smith has been great for us all season and he, along with Cameron and Higgins have added class, ability and football nous to the playing group.

The beneficiaries will be the club and in particular our younger developing players. I believe you cannot overstate the value they bring both on and off the field.

Absolutely. I put a lot of the misunderstanding down to so many people watching on TV rather than at the game. At the North and Hawthorn games you could see the determined efforts to put all 18 players in Geelong’s forward half, stifling any attempt to move the ball quickly.
This is very easy to do. Me, must admit Close hasn’t shown me anything to say he’s any better than the small forwards of previous years that haven’t gone on with it for varying reasons, but being at the ground last Friday I thought that the whole team was a bit fumbly early and second grabbing everything that come their way...except Close. Very clean and one grabbed everything that was presented. Might be a sneaky chance to become a nice little player going forward....maybe.

Rooke could do everything well - kick, mark, run, handball, tackle. He was much more than a journeyman player and was one of our very best players in the 2009 GF. It was a shame his knee ended his career early.
Agreed. He was a footballer who never left anything on the field.
He was respected by everyone.

No, not trolling, but as someone who made state level in a much smaller sport I have an appreciation for how much work it takes to even get to that level.

From there I extrapolate, and figure that people who criticise effort, size or toughness in AFL players really have not achieved anything in their own lives - otherwise they would bite their tongues a bit more.

Yes and no. Yelling out a mindless "you're pathetic" or "you're a diver" just because of their jumper might lean that way. But you can also clearly spot when players do pull out of a contest. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

And some players are a lot more careful about physical contact than others. They just are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no. Yelling out a mindless "you're pathetic" or "you're a diver" just because of their jumper might lean that way. But you can also clearly spot when players do pull out of a contest. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

And some players are a lot more careful about physical contact than others. They just are.
There is something wrong with it when the posters themselves don't have perspective. Apart from having a camera lense and replays to magnify these perceived transgressions, and apart from most posters here likely to pull out of a fifty fifty against a charging AFL bull - it's being used as a character reference for the person being criticised which is just ridiculous.

By all means, comment on how such an action was costly in terms of the game - but I just think it says more about the poster than the player when they start drawing conclusions that a player is soft because of it.

There is something wrong with it when the posters themselves don't have perspective. Apart from having a camera lense and replays to magnify these perceived transgressions, and apart from most posters here likely to pull out of a fifty fifty against a charging AFL bull - it's being used as a character reference for the person being criticised which is just ridiculous.

By all means, comment on how such an action was costly in terms of the game - but I just think it says more about the poster than the player when they start drawing conclusions that a player is soft because of it.
Saw Selwood 100% talk a Richmond opponent out of a contest at least three times Friday night with his ferocious attack on the footy. Not once did I think those a tiger boys were soft. It is a fine line a lot of the time. The blatant one I always get disappointed with is when a player deliberately runs under an incoming ball for fear of what is coming from behind.

This is very easy to do. Me, must admit Close hasn’t shown me anything to say he’s any better than the small forwards of previous years that haven’t gone on with it for varying reasons, but being at the ground last Friday I thought that the whole team was a bit fumbly early and second grabbing everything that come their way...except Close. Very clean and one grabbed everything that was presented. Might be a sneaky chance to become a nice little player going forward....maybe.

Made his debut over here on an unusually wet and slippery night v Dockers - one touch player who didn't fumble and made great decisions , first kick / first goal :thumbsu:
What also stood out was his positioning , had the knack of being in right place/right time.
It was great to see him get a lot of it after 1/4 time , good things happen when he gets the footy - lot of score involvements and could have had an extra goal or 2 himself had he not been unselfish. He's showing some great signs.

This still makes me laugh.

This reminds me of David King's stupendous call in 2011 that Geelong could not possibly win a premiership. I tried finding the video but no luck. When will he learn???

If posters stopped doing that this board - let alone the entire site - would be very, very quiet.

This reminds me of David King's stupendous call in 2011 that Geelong could not possibly win a premiership. I tried finding the video but no luck. When will he learn???
He had it removed if I recall correctly a few years ago

GO Catters

F*** me he’s dumb. He has written us off as hitting the cliff every year since and just doesn’t get it. Absolutely f***ing clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back