Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont know about that - they have got a huge following now - but theve won 3 of the last 4 flags - so they should have a huge following

But you back to around 1997 - ( and bear in mind from 67-82 they were a powerhouse and had plenty of success ) so 97 isnt that far after that period - and in 97 they actually used to play some of their home games at Princess Park - so where were their supporters then - where was the Tiger Army then - it didnt exist

In 97 or 98 around that period Richmond ( and it was their home game ) played Geelong at Princess Park - it was i think the 2nd or last game of the year - they had to beat the Cats to get in finals - but Geelong beat them

So where were their supporters back then ?

In 1997 they played the last home and away match there against Carlton. It was Kernahan's last game, and Richmond won. Ground was packed which the stats back up - 34,000. From what people told me then there was at least as much opposition crowd noise as there was for Carlton.

The game you're talking about was the last round of 1994.

Your last question would probably be "there weren't as many fans going", which would apply to everyone. There were no shortage of less than full Geelong games in that era as well, and we were travelling much better than they were.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
In 1997 they played the last home and away match there against Carlton. It was Kernahan's last game, and Richmond won. Ground was packed which the stats back up - 34,000. From what people told me then there was at least as much opposition crowd noise as there was for Carlton.

Your last question would probably be "there weren't as many fans going", which would apply to everyone. There were no shortage of less than full Geelong games in that era as well, and we were travelling much better than they were.
It weird that the era that now most people regard as the best (ignoring grand final results). I.e. eighties to mid nineties is the era when crowds were quite poor.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah that was the game - just looked up the details

Rich were 8th ( final 8) coming into the last round - they had to beat Geelong to keep their spot in the 8 - but Cats belted them by 76 points

Aaah yes they were the Halcyon days of The Mighty Tigers - playing some of their home games at Princess Park - needing to beat the Mighty Cats in the last round to keep their spot in the finals - instead got flogged by nearly 13 goals - and you guessed it - finished 9th - beautiful .

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Re the draft; analysis of the draft shows that the chances of getting a good player fall dramatically after the first 5 picks - it's quite startling what the numbers show. 3 second round picks will not yield 3 100-gamers and certainly not 3 A-graders.

True Wells fired for a couple of years and secured a raft of top players with picks in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 60s, but that was a long time ago and we may not see that happen again.

We're very poorly placed in this years draft - nothing until the late 20's I think i saw on AFL web-site. We'll need some fancy foot-work to move up.

The fact is that if we don't secure some elite young talent very soon we may struggle for a period. Meanwhile let's hope we win the flag this year.
We have 3 Rd 2 picks.

We'll be ok.

Go Catters

Re the draft; analysis of the draft shows that the chances of getting a good player fall dramatically after the first 5 picks - it's quite startling what the numbers show. 3 second round picks will not yield 3 100-gamers and certainly not 3 A-graders.

True Wells fired for a couple of years and secured a raft of top players with picks in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 60s, but that was a long time ago and we may not see that happen again.
Miers, Oconnor, Blitz, Menegola, Stewart.

All still playing and futures ahead of them and no pick higher than 40.

Is it Top5 picks .. no. Non deniable fact.

But we are ok.

GO Catters

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
True enough, but the fact remains that the numbers can't be argued with; the chances of getting an A-grader diminish spectacularly after Pick 5. Of course plenty of teams have erred even with multiple early picks - Melbourne for a few years, the Tigers disastrously when they overlooked Buddy.

It's great that we've unearthed some hidden gems - Stewart in particular - but we do like winning flags don't we and so......

I trust they'll go to the draft this year and if we can pluck 2 A-graders we'll continue to be very competitive indeed.

True enough, but the fact remains that the numbers can't be argued with; the chances of getting an A-grader diminish spectacularly after Pick 5. Of course plenty of teams have erred even with multiple early picks - Melbourne for a few years, the Tigers disastrously when they overlooked Buddy.

It's great that we've unearthed some hidden gems - Stewart in particular - but we do like winning flags don't we and so......

I trust they'll go to the draft this year and if we can pluck 2 A-graders we'll continue to be very competitive indeed.
Wow, we must have been a basketcase for the whole afl era given we've never selected a player that early. Dangerfield and Selwood as a pick 7 and 10 clearly a rung below Mitch Thorp and Cale Morton

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh dear! This is a total non-sequitur - look it up. You'll find the draft-outcome equation on-line somewhere; it is a sobering document.

I'll put it another way the requirement for a combination of superior judgement and luck in drafting increases exponentially the lower in the order you are. I assume we're all on the same page in wanting ultimate success again so given our draft position this as it stands right now let's hope do nail it.

Oh dear! This is a total non-sequitur - look it up. You'll find the draft-outcome equation on-line somewhere; it is a sobering document.

I'll put it another way the requirement for a combination of superior judgement and luck in drafting increases exponentially the lower in the order you are. I assume we're all on the same page in wanting ultimate success again so given our draft position this as it stands right now let's hope do nail it.
It's certainly true that on the average you get better players earlier in the draft but the distribution is pretty wide. The best player of the whole 2016 draft right now looks like Shai bolton at pick 26, the average pick 26 probably plays less than 50 games. Very risky proposition

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes that's correct. Similarly Ling at 38 played 200+ and was A-grade but the average for pick 38 will be much much lower.

Thus in order to really benefit from this year's draft as it stands we'll need to better the average games played over the journey by each pick by a considerable margin. In other words, Wells and co would need to equal their feat when they got Johnson at 21 (?), Ling at 38, Enright at 40 something and so on. I think Chapman was in the 20s or early 30s. Phenomenal drafting.

Not only did Richmond lose on Friday night, the "Tiger Army" couldn't even get Shai Bolton over the line for mark of the week....

Does that put him out of contention for mark of the year or is that voted on independently of the weekly winners?

Does that put him out of contention for mark of the year or is that voted on independently of the weekly winners?

Saw someone say the AFL can add a few marks to the competition at the end of the season. Guess it makes sense if there are multiple good marks one week and bog ordinary marks the following week.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Paddy Macartin, Johno Patton and Jack Watts all number 1 picks. How did that work out?

Those Round 2s are terrible. Especially since they will blow out to picks in the mid 30s.
Hope we get another terrible Tim Kelly with that terrible pick 24.

We have essendons 2nd rounder, who are bottom 4. And the rules for academy picks for 1st rounders have changed, so the picks won’t blow out much. Should be under 25. GWS’s should be under 30.
Yeah but our 2nd will be closer to 40 so we're limited to picking up a guy like Stewart or Sav when those other picks are closer to picks where you can get genuine stars like Fogarty and Lang

You not around in the early nineties and late eighties? Richmond games were ghost towns back then. Go look at the lack of crowd in the 1989 game where Ablett kicks 14 goals. That was anzac Day too. Mcg was deserted.
I was at that game and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Anzac Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back